A little while back I picked up a 1942 Izhevsk Nagant for $89.99 from Fleet Farm. So far I have less than $150 into this gun. It's a run of the mill, very crudely machined nagant; not a pre-war hex receiver or anything. I bought it with the intention of messing around with it.
I've seen pictures of people's Nagants where they have chopped the stock down to the first barrel band, but I thought it looked pretty goofy. I wanted to shorten the stock, but I also want to mount a bipod on the front. The wood on the front is far too thin to support a bipod, so I came up with a solution. I fiberglassed up the front of the stock so it was thick enough to mount a bipod onto and maintained somewhat of the original shape. I removed the hand grip areas from the sides to give it a little more sleek look. I haven't mounted a bipod on it yet (don't have the funds, saving for a trip out to Arizona in a month). I also took the opportunity to bed the receiver.
I replaced the rear sight with a scope. I used a 3/8" dovetail scope ring mount. I liked this design better, since it grips the entire dovetail. I'm hoping it maintains a zero better than typical 2 piece rings. The scope is a cheap 2-7x32 extended eye relief NCstar.
The fiberglass and resin I had left over from a previous project, so I had no real cost into that. I just spray painted it flat black with the Krylon "Camouflage" flat black paint, then put a layer of Dupli-Color ceramic engine enamel clear coat over it to protect the paint. I put another coat of the flat black over that so it wasn't glossy. In the future I may consider duracoat or cerakote depending on how this holds up. I only had $4 into the paint, since the clear coat I had left over too.
Here's some pictures of how it looks so far:
To give you an idea, this is how a typical cut down stock looks:
Future plans so far:
Add a bipod
Shorten the barrel
Build a cheek rest so my eye sits a little more naturally at the scope level. Will take a little innovation since it will interfere with removing the bolt.