"Bubba'd" my Nagant 91/30

This is a discussion on "Bubba'd" my Nagant 91/30 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A little while back I picked up a 1942 Izhevsk Nagant for $89.99 from Fleet Farm. So far I have less than $150 into this ...

Thread: "Bubba'd" my Nagant 91/30

"Bubba'd" my Nagant 91/30

A little while back I picked up a 1942 Izhevsk Nagant for $89.99 from Fleet Farm. So far I have less than $150 into this gun. It's a run of the mill, very crudely machined nagant; not a pre-war hex receiver or anything. I bought it with the intention of messing around with it.

I've seen pictures of people's Nagants where they have chopped the stock down to the first barrel band, but I thought it looked pretty goofy. I wanted to shorten the stock, but I also want to mount a bipod on the front. The wood on the front is far too thin to support a bipod, so I came up with a solution. I fiberglassed up the front of the stock so it was thick enough to mount a bipod onto and maintained somewhat of the original shape. I removed the hand grip areas from the sides to give it a little more sleek look. I haven't mounted a bipod on it yet (don't have the funds, saving for a trip out to Arizona in a month). I also took the opportunity to bed the receiver.

I replaced the rear sight with a scope. I used a 3/8" dovetail scope ring mount. I liked this design better, since it grips the entire dovetail. I'm hoping it maintains a zero better than typical 2 piece rings. The scope is a cheap 2-7x32 extended eye relief NCstar.

The fiberglass and resin I had left over from a previous project, so I had no real cost into that. I just spray painted it flat black with the Krylon "Camouflage" flat black paint, then put a layer of Dupli-Color ceramic engine enamel clear coat over it to protect the paint. I put another coat of the flat black over that so it wasn't glossy. In the future I may consider duracoat or cerakote depending on how this holds up. I only had $4 into the paint, since the clear coat I had left over too.

Here's some pictures of how it looks so far:

IMG_20120313_170914.jpgIMG_20120313_170941.jpg

To give you an idea, this is how a typical cut down stock looks:
    634645607192323369lunbqir4.jpg

Future plans so far:
    Add a bipod
    Shorten the barrel
    Build a cheek rest so my eye sits a little more naturally at the scope level. Will take a little innovation since it will interfere with removing the bolt.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Nice looking replacement stock and scope installation.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Nice looking replacement stock and scope installation.
    Thanks,
    It's the original stock cut underneath and the front was fiberglassed up to follow the curves of the rest of the wood. The rear sling loop was also filled in with fiberglass.

The stock was going to be a bit longer, but frankly, I got tired of trying to sand that much fiberglass smooth, so I trimmed it down.

Here's a picture I took about half-way through the fiberglassing:

IMG_20120228_160725.jpg
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    They will not be happy to see what you have done back in Mother Russia

VIP Member

Thumbs up

That is really cool. I like.

Links