Potential misfire waiting to happen?

This is a discussion on Potential misfire waiting to happen? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My BUG is a Bersa Thunder .380. I love this little gun but have a concern that I am reaching out about. Every time I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Potential misfire waiting to happen?

Potential misfire waiting to happen?

My BUG is a Bersa Thunder .380. I love this little gun but have a concern that I am reaching out about.

Every time I chamber a round and then use the de-cocker to drop the hammer, the bullet gets a nik on the back of the primer. I can clearly see the de-cocker mechanism uses a block to prevent the hammer from striking. I check the ammo before I chamber it and it's clean with no marks. Once I hit the de-coker, there appears a little nik/scratch right where you would expect the pin to drop.

Here is a pic. After multiple attempts, here is the best pic I could produce.
    380 nik crop.jpg

It's a little blurry, but I think you can make out what I am talking about. Any thoughts?
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Your block is worn, just a guess.

Definitely getting a light primer strike,It usually takes a pretty good thump to set off a primer,but that doesn't mean you couldn't get one that ignites with a light strike,that thing needs to be looked at by a gunsmith/or returned to factory for repairs
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

"HOUSTON, we have a problem."
    Get thee to a 'smith'...
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That's defiantly a problem. I'd take that gun out of service until you've fixed it.
    paramedic70002 likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I agree with all above, that is definitely an unsafe firearm. I agree 100% with Eddo211 about the hammer block being worn. Then again, perhaps something such as the hammer's pin is bent or worn which causes the hammer to rest slightly different on the block (just made that up :-) ).

Anyhow, there should be zero contact... I think your pistol is an accident waiting to happen.

Good Luck and be safe

Definitely time to get it looked over and fixed. I had a Semi-auto deer rifle that was making the marks on rounds as well when I would chamber a round, it ended up needing to have the entire firing mechanism rebuilt

Seems like everyone's reached a consensus, but I'll throw mine in there as well. Myself, I'd unload it and keep it that way until I had a pro look it over and get that fixed.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    your gun aint right--get it looked into b4 it goes bang on you
    very strange but anything that moves can break. heck, even if it don't move it can break.

as for focus....try moving the camers back further and use the zoom to get closer
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by discoboxer View Post
    ... I can clearly see the de-cocker mechanism uses a block to prevent the hammer from striking.
    ... Any thoughts?
    OK, so the hammer is blocked, and is not the cause of this. An inertial firing-pin doesn't require a hammer strike to move. Don't know if the Bersa has a firing-pin block (until trigger is pulled).

You might consider these possibilities:
    • Check/replace the firing pin spring.
    • Clean the firing pin channel (fouling could cause the firing-pin to be stuck).
    • Remove/inspect the firing-pin; it could be broken, protruding through the firing pin hole.

In any case, stop checking it with ammo. test with snap caps and magic-marker, to show evidence of anything striking it.

OR... have a gunsmith work on it. A pro will find something that was not right.
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

Thanks for the replies. What's interesting is the gun is only a couple months old and I have fired maybe 200 rounds through it. I will contact Bersa and see what they would like me to do for service.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by discoboxer View Post
    Thanks for the replies. What's interesting is the gun is only a couple months old and I have fired maybe 200 rounds through it. I will contact Bersa and see what they would like me to do for service.
    Please follow up on this thread once you hear back from Bersa.
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Seems like everyone's reached a consensus, but I'll throw mine in there as well. Myself, I'd unload it and keep it that way until I had a pro look it over and get that fixed.
    word up

Today, I sent an email to Bersa explaining the situation as I have here. Gander Mountain is their local warranty shop, so I delivered it to them today.

When I spoke with the gunsmith, he clearly confirmed this should not happen and will correct the issue. Expected turn around is 2-4 weeks from Gander. I will update the post as I hear back from Bersa/Gander Mountain.
    ― Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    heck, even if it don't move it can break.
    Our Congress being a notable example...
    discoboxer and BurgerBoy like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links