A good affordable 1911 that won't be used for CC

This is a discussion on A good affordable 1911 that won't be used for CC within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm in the "used Colt" camp. There are some great values to be found out there in internet auction-land along with shops and gun shows. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: A good affordable 1911 that won't be used for CC

I'm in the "used Colt" camp. There are some great values to be found out there in internet auction-land along with shops and gun shows.

You might want to keep your mind open to carrying your acquisition. There's no reason to expect it to be anything other than effective, reliable, and practical for concealed carry purposes.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I was going to mention the "used" Colt, my only concern is what did the guy who used to own it do to it. Did he perform a trigger job? change out some springs? file this or that?..... Sometimes people try and upgrade them and end up making them into a problematic unreliable pos. If you purchase a used gun on line you are stuck with it. If you get a low option new gun there will be some type of warranty. Plus you know it is not all "F"ed up. If you can find a good deal on a used one great. I just don't want you to have a bad taste in your mouth about the 1911s.

I certainly haven't owned & shot them all, but will agree with some of the others that the RIA seems to be a decent product for the cost, as are the Metro Arms 1911s. For the money, I don't think you can do better than the STI Spartan, which now has 3 & 4" models in addition the 5" Gov't. STI is a stand up company and it makes very good products. In the case of the Spartan, the frame and slide are made by the same company making the RIA, but the internals are by STI (TX) and they go through STIs quality control program before hitting the shelves.

You might want to read through the following link:
    Buyer's guide for all you 1911 addicts......
    Cattus Vir likes this.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

VIP Member
    RIA seems to have a good solid 1911, for a reasonable price, around $450. The Springfield will run you more, but their customer service is unbeatable.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

TJx
    RIA Tactical- under $500- better sights than GI, beavertail grip safety, extended thumb safety.
    Springfield Mil-Spec ~ $600 for parkerized or for another ~ $75 for SS, better yet you can get a lot of features like beavertail grip safety, extended thumb safety and night sights by going with a "Loaded for ~ $750- a lot of gun for the money.
    Ruger SR1911

All the above are backed up with excellent CS which matters a lot to me.
    None of these right now are real easy to find right now especially the Ruger.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Remington R1.........made in USA,looks like a ww2 govt model and has and excellent rep.....

600 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by GunKeen View Post
    Rock Island Armory. 'nuff said.
    +1 on RIA!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

mkh
    Others have given you good advice. I had a Taurus but it had problems with light strikes. Ended up trading it to a friend for an M&P .40 and buying a Sig Ultra for EDC.

Just be careful about the history ( read that as amateur gunsmihing) when buying used. Also decide if you want a beaver tail and rails etc. You can get a 1911 almost anyway you want it so decide which features up front and go with what meets she majority of your criteria.

I have the RIA mil spec and a couple SA loaded but my Para Ordiance GI Expert out shoots them all in both dependablity and accuracy. For between $500 - $600 its hard to beat. Like it so much my next gun buy will be the Para GI Expert LTC commander.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is . . .genius has its limits."~Albert Einstein

Remington R1 gets my vote!

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    The STI Spartan can be had for $600, the Springfield GI also runs $600. I'd shy away from the Taurus as well as the Philippine imports. Just my .02
    Isn't the Spartan considered a Filipino import? The slide, frame and barrel are made by Armscor in the Philippines, the other parts (except for the Italian LPA rear sight) are shipped from STI to Armscor, then the guns are built by Armscor and sent back to STI.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by SilentMike View Post
    the 1911's are solid. Service is slower than Rosie O'Donnell in the last 3 miles of a marathon.
    You really think Rosie would even get that far ? LOL.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by FLSlim View Post
    I certainly haven't owned & shot them all, but will agree with some of the others that the RIA seems to be a decent product for the cost, as are the Metro Arms 1911s. For the money, I don't think you can do better than the STI Spartan, which now has 3 & 4" models in addition the 5" Gov't. STI is a stand up company and it makes very good products. In the case of the Spartan, the frame and slide are made by the same company making the RIA, but the internals are by STI (TX) and they go through STIs quality control program before hitting the shelves.

You might want to read through the following link:
    Buyer's guide for all you 1911 addicts......

That was a good read thanks for pointing it out.

I have a Springfield GI. Based on your criteria, I'd have no problem recommending it. Very happy with mine. The only times it seems to have failed are in the hands of new shooters, and I suspect limp-wristing plays a role. If you spend about $100 more you can get the Mil-Spec from Springfield, which can handle hollow points better and has better sights. I also have a Colt Gov't Model (my favorite 1911, hands-down), but that might be more than you want to spend ($8-900). I won't comment on the other "value" brands though just because I have no personal experience with them.

The basic GI models don't handle JHPs right? Something to do with the breech angle I suppose?

Which wouldn't be an issue, I actually like the idea of getting the closest to authentic looking WW2 era, and it's just going to be a "oh yeah i have a 1911 also so leave me alone" to have fun with at the range with standard cheap bulk FMJ.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links