A good affordable 1911 that won't be used for CC - Page 3

A good affordable 1911 that won't be used for CC

This is a discussion on A good affordable 1911 that won't be used for CC within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; +1 on Rock Island. LGS here has them for $430. I'd love to get my hands on a Ruger, but it seems that they just ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: A good affordable 1911 that won't be used for CC

+1 on Rock Island. LGS here has them for $430.

I'd love to get my hands on a Ruger, but it seems that they just can't be had. I've got my name on the list, but the LGS says he was able to get his hands on a total of 2 last year.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I have a Springfield 191-A1 that's been modded a bit, and I love it- by far my favorite auto-loader. (NOTHING beats my love for my .357snubbie)

I was looking at a RIA GI model at between $450-500, and I REALLY liked them. All of them I looked at had an absolutely wonderful trigger out of the box, and were pretty sharp looking- also, I think they're Mil-Spec. Fairly sure.

I checked out a couple Taurus 1911s, and they were OK. Nothing to brag about other than their $100-200 cost over the RIA. The trigger felt grainy, rough, and had a hitch in it just before you got to the break point. While the Taurus looked nice, and had a modern look/feel to it, the RIA was the nicer gun. From what I saw, the warranty was the same (lifetime), and the quality was just better. From the feel of the slide, the fit to the frame... Everything was better on the RIA, for a lower price, and a better 'classic' 1911 look. Only think the Taurus really had on the RIA was the sights on the models I saw.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by RTTR84 View Post
    The basic GI models don't handle JHPs right? Something to do with the breech angle I suppose?

Which wouldn't be an issue, I actually like the idea of getting the closest to authentic looking WW2 era, and it's just going to be a "oh yeah i have a 1911 also so leave me alone" to have fun with at the range with standard cheap bulk FMJ.
    It depends on the load. If you try to run JHP through it, definitely download the magazine by one or the first round will never feed. Mine has liked Remington Golden Sabre and Winchester USA JHP Personal Defense Load (conveniently about the cheapest one out there and apparently works at least somewhat well). Mine absolutely would not feed Speer Gold Dots.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Check these out...Both Rock Island`s in .45ACP. Great Solid CC weapons and they are under $500 each. Love `em!.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

+1 on the rock
    prepare for the worst;Hope for the best

Depending on how much you want to spend, you have a number of different options. I don't have an RIA, but I do have a Citadel (made by Armscorp, same company as RIA) and an American Classic (made by Metro Arms). Both Armscorp and Metro Arms are made in the Philippines. Neither of mine are GI mil-spec as I bought mine for concealed carry. Just my opinion, but even for a range gun I'd think about getting one that comes w/ a few upgrades, such as Beavertail grip safety and Novak type sights. Those gi sights are pretty small, especially for my aging eyes. I've been very pleased w/ both my Citadel and AC. They've been very reliable. To my eyes, the AC has a much nicer deep blued finish than the Citadel/RIA Parkerized finish.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links