A good affordable 1911 that won't be used for CC

This is a discussion on A good affordable 1911 that won't be used for CC within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'd really like to add some more handguns to my collection and something over 9mm which is all I have (apart from some .22 target ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: A good affordable 1911 that won't be used for CC

A good affordable 1911 that won't be used for CC

I'd really like to add some more handguns to my collection and something over 9mm which is all I have (apart from some .22 target pistols, fun!) All my buddies love their 1911's but all my buddies also have well over a grand into theirs.. I'm not looking at anything crazy like that cause honestly I'd be looking at an HK over a 1911 if I was looking at spending that kinda money on a single pistol.

So I was wondering what you all think would be a good still reliable, well made 1911 .45, maybe something not so good that you'd trust carrying it, but maybe it would be good enough, although I don't have that purpose cause I already have my dedicated G26, comp-tac IWB, night sight rig for that. I'm just looking for one to get me into the .45 league and having fun with on the range.

One person suggested a Taurus is a good all around performer, maybe someone an go into detail on it, but I've never really considered to be that good, rather hit and miss in my experience.

EDIT: also someone suggested before a Springfield GI, a get the job done 1911 that isn't all dress and jacked up price like a custom or something like a Kimber. Not really sure what the going price is on the GI though.

2. Remove Ads

Oh yeah also to note, I'm not looking at some fancy dancy one either, I like the down and dirty lets go look of a black firearm, doesn't need to be all polished up, with fancy exotic grips to get my gears turning.

I guess if I had a look I'm going after the one that can come to mind by just looking at some websites is the Springfield Mil-Spec black on black. or black with wood grips

Sponsor

Lightbulb Best bang for the buck?

Right now I'd say Ruger has a great 1911 for the money.

If you want a mil-spec 1911, I'd say go with Remington.

AH CLUB 100.gif
    Top 100 Custom Pistolsmiths in America
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Rock Island Armory. 'nuff said.
    BugDude, Eagleks and bmcgilvray like this.
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
    - Plato

VIP Member
    The Springfields are good. Don't just go out and get a "cheap one" just to get a 1911. Get one you can hold on to for a while. You can always upgrade the sites and grips. I think the 5" models with the steeel frames will be a good place to start.

Taking a look at said options.

NMB
    In order of price, low to high.

Range from 450-575$ and all run like champs. They also all have GREAT customer service.

Rock Island GI
    Springfield GI
    Remington R1
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Is the Springfield GI also called the Mil-Spec? I see Mil-Spec kind of the standard name companies call their I guess standard non hopped up 1911s

Just out of curiosity trying to back the friends recommendation on a Taurus, is this worth looking at beyond the website link? Seems to have good features for the money, around $605-610 Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

VIP Member
    Look for a good used Colt on gunbroker.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by RTTR84 View Post
    Is the Springfield GI also called the Mil-Spec? I see Mil-Spec kind of the standard name companies call their I guess standard non hopped up 1911s

Just out of curiosity trying to back the friends recommendation on a Taurus, is this worth looking at beyond the website link? Seems to have good features for the money, around $605-610 Taurus International Manufacturing Inc
    Differences here...

GI.jpg MIL-SPEC.jpg

Supposedly the GI is more true to a WWII era 1911.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

STI, Springfield and Rock Island Armory all make good 1911's that won't break the bank.
    Eagleks likes this.

sgb
    The STI Spartan can be had for $600, the Springfield GI also runs $600. I'd shy away from the Taurus as well as the Philippine imports. Just my .02
    RTTR84 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

for the money, the Springfield Range Officer is absolutely untouchable. Good luck finding one, though.

I've seen one very nearly shoot with my trophy match. That's sayin somethin'

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I don't know for sure...I've never owned a Taurus, but there have been some threads posted here on DC, about Taurus customer service that reads like horror stories
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    I don't know...I've never owned a Taurus, but there have been some threads posted here on DC, about Taurus customer service that reads like horror stories

the 1911's are solid. Service is slower than Rosie O'Donnell in the last 3 miles of a marathon.
    RTTR84 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links