The junkie strikes again

The junkie strikes again

This is a discussion on The junkie strikes again within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; .....so I just bought another 22. Because the Box truck full of 22's I have now is clearly not enough. I bought a Remington 513T. ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By SilentMike
  • 1 Post By Hiram25
  • 1 Post By SilentMike

Thread: The junkie strikes again

The junkie strikes again

.....so I just bought another 22. Because the Box truck full of 22's I have now is clearly not enough. I bought a Remington 513T. Guess I'm in the market for another scope now. crap.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Boy, you need help! Just mail them to me, and I'll take care of them until you're cured!
    RonCo likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

A great choice and capable of excellent accuracy with a scope.

I owned a 513T years ago and competed with it in small bore rifle matches. It sported the typical honkin' large Redfield sights. I later fitted it up with a Lyman Super Targetspot target scope for sand bagged bench rest fun at 100 yards. Back then it preferred Federal "red box" copper plated 40 grain high-velocity solids for tightest groups at 100 yards, sometimes going a bit under an inch for five shots.

The entire "500" series of models made for a great Remington line of .22 rifles. They are still useful today, the Models 510, 511, 513, and 513T/513S.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

My main rimfire target axe is a savage/anchutz mark 12. I doubt the new one will shoot with it, but it'll still be a hoot
    bmcgilvray likes this.

I don't know. If you can make the 513T's trigger crisp and light you might be surprised what the rifle can accomplish.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I don't know. If you can make the 513T's trigger crisp and light you might be surprised what the rifle can accomplish.

that might be the deciding factor. As it stands, the trigger on the 513T stinks. I'm gonna have to tear it apart and beat on it with a hammer to see if I can make it any better.

The trigger design is pretty primitive. Seems like there use to be aftermarket triggers for those but we're talking about 1950s-1960s. Perhaps the Dayton Traister company once made them.

They are suppose to be adjustable for pull weight and overtravel with a couple of screws. I can't now recall the arrangement but one controlled pull weight and one controlled overtravel. Adjusting them is an inexact science at best but some good can be done. Be sure to bounce the cocked rifle off of the floor a few times to insure that the adjusted trigger won't discharge the piece.

Good luck. I'm a bit envious and sort of wish I had mine back. For match shooting I replaced it with a Springfield Model 1922 AII. I like the rifle fine. It's accurate, it's trigger is more precise and it has the excellent Lyman No. 48 rear sight but the Remington had a superior front sight. I still have a full compliment of Redfield front sight inserts in a small container around here some place.

report time.

I mounted a millet 4-16x44 scope up and gathered up a sackful of various 22 ammo and took the new beast out for a test drive. I had the best results with some green tag, oddly enough, since I've been pretty unimpressed with that stuff for the most part, except thru one of my s&w m41's. But since I already have one gun that shoots it, it's cool because I already have a gang of it around.

anyway, the good stuff.

The rifle didn't shoot as well as my savage/anchutz...but that may just be the aforementioned trigger issue. Out to 50 yards, it'll keep five under a dime...which is tolerable I suppose. All of this while not touching the rifle except for trigger contact, mind you....I certainly can't hold it and do that.

I'll tear down the trigger and see about any obvious adjustments. maybe that'll line it out.

I like to shoot the savage/anchutz in rimfire benchrest and I'm still hoping that the remington will be workable for the same kinda fun.....maybe maybe.

Sponsored Links