Your total trigger pulls - Page 2

Your total trigger pulls

This is a discussion on Your total trigger pulls within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; man. I shot 13,300 (according to my empty ammo trays and end labels) in 2011. I've been shooting about that much for 6-7 years.....before that, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Your total trigger pulls

man. I shot 13,300 (according to my empty ammo trays and end labels) in 2011. I've been shooting about that much for 6-7 years.....before that, probably half that much for several years....prior to that, who knows....I burned up a lot of 22 ammo as a kid.

who knows. that's my final answer.

Quote Originally Posted by tactilame View Post
    Sheesh, I don't know... I've been shooting almost my entire life... The past 3-4 years at LEAST 5k rounds a year. I should really look into reloading...

I don't think you can use the number of rounds fired as a reference point for skill. I know folks who shoot just as much but who are terrible shooters. I also know people who shoot maybe 500 rounds a decade but could shoot the wings off a fly with a cannon if they wanted to. I think the biggest thing is practice, obviously, but making sure you're practicing the right fundamentals is huge too, which is why I think training is so important.
    I agree, as martial arts instructor told daughter "Perfect Practice makes Perfect. If you practice a technique incorrectly 1000 times, are you better or worse off".

How many trigger pulls? More than a thousand, less than I want or need.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

So nobody has an answer? That is somewhat surprising.

10,000-11,000

Kind of weak, but I'm in my 20's and I'm not as serious about recreational shooting as most on this site.

cj
    I think 'trigger pulls' is the right question, but probably not what you meant. I am a firm believer in dry fire practice...lots of the 'perfect practice' mentioned above with dry practice can show a marked improvement when you do actually get to the range.

I started shooting winter indoor Bullseye competitions and was fairly mediocre. Daily dry practice (only a few minutes...maybe 15-20 pulls a day some days...and not even using the bullseye pistol for various reasons) and I moved up...not to the top, but probably in the upper quartile, competing with guys who were using much more expensive equipment.

So if you consider trigger pulls and not just flinging lead down range, I can't even begin to count...especially considering all the years I spent JUST flinging lead down range with a theoretical understanding of fundamentals but not really getting it (that took a class to really hammer it all home).
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I squeezed off my first .22 at age five, fifty-one years ago and have been shooting ever since. I couldn't estimate within 100k rounds how many I have sent downrange lifetime.
    I'm apparently a year younger than you, Mike.

Add in .22 ammo by the carton to the center fire ammo handloaded and fired over the years and there's no tellin'. At least 5 cartons annually since the early 1970s and over 10 cartons some years, especially when I was a young un' at home and again after purchasing a new Smith & Wesson Model 17 K-22 Masterpiece in 1980. Half of the total .22 Long Rifle consumed has gone down the tube of that one Model 17.

"Just FYI: There is a huge chasm of difference between "putting "X" numbers of rounds down range" and becoming a proficient and accomplished self-defensive shooter.
    One is barely even related to the other.

This!

I am a recreational shooter first and foremost and only view defensive shooting as a minor sub-facet of the complete shooting experience.

I've dabbled in competition, mostly the accuracy games, for all of my adult life, but high-volume ammo burnin' has also made me sloppy on occasion, reinforcing bad tendencies. All day plinking sessions or those lasting for several days on our own place lead to nasty habits that had to be worked out. I still have to take care to make shots count, even in recreational plinking, or I'll regain that mindset: "Oh well, a miss. There's always another round, magazine, cylinder-full coming up."

Such thinking can loom large, making one squeeze off the shot with bad sight alignment and less care about proper shooting form. I'm still fortunate enough to be able to take advantage of the same marathon sessions at a whim but take more time to "savor the shot" than I did when I was young.

"I am a firm believer in dry fire practice...lots of the 'perfect practice' mentioned above with dry practice can show a marked improvement when you do actually get to the range."

This as well!

cj's got it right about the value of dry-fire practice. It always translates to better scores in competition if I make myself adhere to a rigid schedule of dry-fire practice. In the case of high-power rifle competition that means shooting coat, shooting glove, sling, the works. For bulls-eye pistol that means trigger-time devoted to dry-fire practice.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Infinite number or a W.A.G. Back in the 70's/80's I shot minimum 4-8 rounds of trap per week. For quail, dove, pheasant, and ducks, we always thought in cases, not boxes. Always ran lots of pistol ammo and shot competition steel with pistols as well as cast bullet competitions. As for .22 the sky is the limit.

I don't shoot as many rounds anymore, personally. But I purchase and handload lots for the kids and grandkids to shoot. I usually order several cases of .22 Lr each year. More fun to see them enjoy shooting than to shoot. Now I still enjoy the wife lady and sharing a day at the range. Numbers really don't matter, I was all fun and I can still hit the target.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links