Why is 40 S&W FMJ Ammo so EXPENSIVE?!

This is a discussion on Why is 40 S&W FMJ Ammo so EXPENSIVE?! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Jeez.... I know I can get reman for a little less... but even the Federal Walmart stuff is getting more expensive... at least in SE ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By claude clay

Thread: Why is 40 S&W FMJ Ammo so EXPENSIVE?!

Why is 40 S&W FMJ Ammo so EXPENSIVE?!

Jeez.... I know I can get reman for a little less... but even the Federal Walmart stuff is getting more expensive... at least in SE Michigan...

2. Remove Ads

Walmart is out of control on ammo prices in northwest wisconsin. Local mom and pop stores are seeing better prices, well, until stock has to be replaced.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    .40 and .45 is certainly high. You might check with Natchez Shooter Supply. Frequently they runs sales though shipping may off-set the savings.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    me hates to be repitious but ---reload

a dillion square deal in 40 with accessories--from nothing to 1st round will cost under $600 ( inc tumbler & scale)

roll your own and at $15 per 100; you save $20+ per 100. do the math and rmmember that the equipment is worth 2/3 what you paid

cause its got a lifetime-no postage even , guarentee.
    dillion sq-deal is propriatory dies at ~$100 per caliber, but you are making 400 plus an hour.

you can set up with a lee 4 hole for $300 but expect 150 rounds per hour.
    upside is it will do rifle also ( about 50 per hour)
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Claude, not sure where you got your $35/100 of 40SW from, but I generally buy mine (target rounds) at WW for around $28/100.

Recently, Federal lowered their WW prices to $26/100 but they've since raised it to $28/100. Therefore, actual savings/100 rounds would be around $13, which translates to around 2100 rounds for $600. i.e. 600/28 = 21 x 100 = 2100. So, if anyone is thinking about buying approx. $600 worth of reloading equipment, their return on investment would be 2100 rounds (assuming WW prices) and according to your figgers, around 5 hours of time.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    MCG....prices are less where you live. but have you included tax, gas, time to drive to the store and back?
    minus resale value, out of pocket is $200 and using your costs rounding a little saves $15/100 so
    after making 1400 rounds you are no longer amortizing the equipment.

but if time is dear to you and or reloading is more a chore than fun...and if WW is not out of your way, or you only shoot 100
    rounds a couple of times a month---it may be that reloading isn't for you.
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I reload and cast my own bullets,you can get a LEE bottom pour lead pot and a bullet mold for around $100.00,you can get a cheap single stage setup from LEE for around 100.00 if you get everything in a kit.Buy bulk powder and primers and by the time I reload 100 rounds of 9/40/45 acp/380/etc It costs me about $5.00 100 rounds.I had a guy at the range that was watching me and my range buddy shoot,he asked how can you guys shoot so much.I told him about castingbullets,he was already reloading but was buying bullets online at around .08 cents each shipped.I told him if he supplied the lead I would cast him bullets at .03 cents each,he just dropped off about 200 pounds in lead at my door Saturday.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I think the only way to get "deals" on .40 ammo is to buy it online in bulk. Usually 1000 rounds or more. At least thats been my experience.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Obama

supply and demand

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    supply and demand
    I get that... But wow! I can get 1K rounds of remanufactured 180 grain FMJ for $250 including tax... New would be over $300...

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    ....I usually regard Walmart federal 40 to be one of the worse 40s to buy....

Quote Originally Posted by TheDetailer View Post
    I get that... But wow! I can get 1K rounds of remanufactured 180 grain FMJ for $250 including tax... New would be over $300...

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    reloads are not recomended in some guns like glocks because of KB's. walmart .40 calafter tax comes to 35 cents a round. I looked on line and for factory fresh ammo its the same price after shipping (30 dollars in some cases) and you have to buy a 1000 rounds to get the price

I bought fed 380 white box and it was 3 dollars more then the .40 cal

Quote Originally Posted by sonnycrocket View Post
    I usually only buy WWB target ammo in 40S&W,45ACP and 357Sig. Have you see the price of WWB 357Sig lately from Wal Mart ($30 + tax) per box.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnycrocket View Post
    ...becaussse?
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Links