New job... Work filters :(

This is a discussion on New job... Work filters :( within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Part of the reason I discovered this great site is that my work filter somehow allowed this to pass thru. (btw, how idiotic is the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New job... Work filters :(

Thumbs down New job... Work filters :(

Part of the reason I discovered this great site is that my work filter somehow allowed this to pass thru. (btw, how idiotic is the "weapons" filter anyway). Unfortunately, my new place has a draconian filter. No Drudge, ESPN, or even yahoo mail. Needless to say, DC doesn't make it thru. Fortunately, my iPhone still 4Gs it's way to DC. As long as I get a signal :-/
    marcclarke likes this.

2. Remove Ads

My work also filters this - however they also have a open WiFi for "guests" that many of us use. It doesn't have any filters on it. :-)
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    they are just trying to protect you, reading a sight like this might give some silly notion that you really can take responsibility for yourself and protect yourself.

Google up "proxy server"...

Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post
    Google up "proxy server"...
    ... ... ...

and then, check the department of labor website for how long you can collect unemployment if you get fired for hacking through work's firewall. Not worth it. Use your phone, play online more at home.

(all tongue in cheek of course, we have barracuda filters at work, and I hate 'em)
    suntzu likes this.

Work computer & internet for work, phone for privacy. (Won't catch me surfin dirty)

No way in heck to look at firearms forums where I've been (and still am) working.
    I've had an iphone ever since they first came out, but edge reception inside building not good (pitiful).
    Until recently could only get edge network on my 3G phone, because no 3G was signal here.
    I could have received a message by carrier pigeon before a simplistic page might have eventually opened.
    Now I am finally saved, 3G has arrived and reception inside building is good ; my meager lunch break and firearms forums are now one.

Tip: Only use the work computer & internet for work.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

VIP Member
    On base using the government network just about everything is blocked to include the local TV stations websites, luckily if I take my laptop I can plug into the commercial network, problem is it has to pass through so many servers and routers and even with the base having a T-1 connection it is not much faster than a dial-up connection.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    We even have them over here. Thank goodness for proxy servers.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by KSP View Post
    my iPhone still 4Gs it's way to DC.

Correction...

Your iPhone 3Gs its way here. A 4G iPhone doesn't exist. 8-)

My situation is just the reverse. My work used to block weapons sites, now they don't!
    Stubborn likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I'm half owner of my business, NO filters here.
    Guns, knives, bows, gun forums - all OK. We let our employees with CWFL permits carry also.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    All, please do your jobs and don't goof off reading the web on the boss's time.
    Its a tough economy out there and you don't need the troubles unemployment will bring you.

Unless your employer has a liberal policy about on-line use and doesn't care so long as you
    get the job done, stay away from the net while at work. PLEASE. For your own sake and that of
    your family.

I can be here all the time because I'm retired. If I was still working I'd not browse any site
    that couldn't be related to my chores.
    WHEC724 and CDW4ME like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    I'm half owner of my business, NO filters here.
    Guns, knives, bows, gun forums - all OK. We let our employees with CWFL permits carry also.
    Me too. I pay myself, so I make my own hours. If I was working for someone else, they'd have my undivided attention during work hours.
    Stubborn likes this.

Luckily, my job is such that my free moments are my own. Hopefully, I find a few spots that get good reception.

For internet forum cruising via phone, I highly recommend Tapatalk

I often have gaps in my work time, with which I can quickly get up to date with the threads that I'm following
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links