Experiences with the Henry AR-7 Survival Rifle?

This is a discussion on Experiences with the Henry AR-7 Survival Rifle? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think I spent too long in the grunts, because I am currently feeling the urge to start backpacking and camping more now that winter ...

Thread: Experiences with the Henry AR-7 Survival Rifle?

Experiences with the Henry AR-7 Survival Rifle?

I think I spent too long in the grunts, because I am currently feeling the urge to start backpacking and camping more now that winter is over, and no one is even forcing me to.

Having a sidearm on me is standard for outdoors stuff anyways, but I was thinking about one of these: Henry Repeating Arms | Fine Rifles Made in America and Priced Right To keep in my pack along with a brick of two of mini-mags. It wouldn't add very much weight or take up too much space in my pack, and I think they are just a cool design.

I know the design was originally from Arma-lite, and has been around for decades, but does anyone know how the modern version compares? I assume that since they are still being made, they are reliable, and able to maintain a zero with the iron sights despite being taken down and put back together multiple times. So, anyone who has some wisdom and experience with ones of these rifles, I'd appreciate your input.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I have shot both an ancient Charter Arms one (which I own) and a friend's newer Henry and the peep stays zeroed as good as I can see through a peep sight. Mine is the same. Mine is ammo sensitive, it likes Remington gold bullet and the Wal Mart bulk Federal, and it scatters CCI Stingers like a shotgun. Same with the Remington Viper and the Quick Shok segmented HP loads. I think the biggest advantage of the newer versions is that the old ones only carry one magazine while the new ones carry two.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Administrator
    The Henry floats but, it is not waterproof. Neat little survival .22 for the price.

You might also want to take a look at the FeatherUSA Backpacker in .22LR
    You could actually knock even more weight off the feather by having an Aluminum or Titanium stock made up.

Home

Here is the VID (found on the web)

BackPacker Series comes with (2) position steel stock, front & rear sites, predrilled for scope rail, super rails & sling, 17.2” barrel. Case holds rifle and (1) magazine, Carry Case with Strap and case floats. Optional HA High Accuracy Bull Barrels can be upgraded for additional $119.95 for any caliber.

The rifle is a True Take Down for carry and No tools are needed for cleaning or take down, This is a modular design, so all accessories can be ordered at a later date. Only 2.5 lbs. for 22LR and (1) 8 rd. magazine, optional 20 rd. magazines available. Center fire models 4.5 lbs. and (1) 10 rd. magazine and optional High Cap Magazines our available. If you need a shorter stock at 9.5”( 2-Positions) for that Lady shooter, we have one just for her at only $19.95.
    This case is waterproof & floatable for extra safety when around water. Black Matte Finish is Standard and the rifle is made from 6061 Material. Priced from $399.00 for the Rav-22LR Backpacker.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I bought my AR7 in a pawn shop for $70.00 about 8 or 9 years ago,has 2 8 round mags and it has never jammed,one of these days I need to clean it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

A friend of mine recently bought one. We took it to the desert to shoot and it functioned fine. Was accurate out of the box and had no issues loading or ejecting.
    Seemed like a decent little gun.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

I have an original Armalite AR7, a Charter Arms one and I have bought of the Henry AR7s for two of the grandsons. The Armalite eats everthing, the original mags on the Charter needed some tweeking, and my two Henrys eat anything we load in them. The kids really enjoy shooting them and we have taken them on some river floats. On the Henry, you can put one magazine in the receiver, and two in the stock storage. The Armalite is the best gun finish wise, but the stocks are best on the Henrys--I wish there was a lock on the stock cap that covers the stored barrel and reciever. They are not a nice shiny Browning A22, but they are fun to shoot and that is important with my grandchildren. And I can promise they float stock up.

I don't own one personally but my uncle does. He is a big outdoors man and takes it camping every time. He loves it. He has had zero problems.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The Henry floats but, it is not waterproof. Neat little survival .22 for the price.

You might also want to take a look at the FeatherUSA Backpacker in .22LR
    You could actually knock even more weight off the feather by having an Aluminum or Titanium stock made up.

Home

Here is the VID (found on the web)

BackPacker Series comes with (2) position steel stock, front & rear sites, predrilled for scope rail, super rails & sling, 17.2” barrel. Case holds rifle and (1) magazine, Carry Case with Strap and case floats. Optional HA High Accuracy Bull Barrels can be upgraded for additional $119.95 for any caliber.

The rifle is a True Take Down for carry and No tools are needed for cleaning or take down, This is a modular design, so all accessories can be ordered at a later date. Only 2.5 lbs. for 22LR and (1) 8 rd. magazine, optional 20 rd. magazines available. Center fire models 4.5 lbs. and (1) 10 rd. magazine and optional High Cap Magazines our available. If you need a shorter stock at 9.5”( 2-Positions) for that Lady shooter, we have one just for her at only $19.95.
    This case is waterproof & floatable for extra safety when around water. Black Matte Finish is Standard and the rifle is made from 6061 Material. Priced from $399.00 for the Rav-22LR Backpacker.
    I think for the extra cash, I'd rather just have the AR-7. Pretty neat design though, but I think I'd want one in 9mm.

Sounds like most people who have AR-7s are happy with them, its probably worth picking one up.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Henry Model H002B Survival Rifle.

Recently moved here in Wisconsin from Illinois and have to wonder about the carry laws pertaining to the rifle I bought yesterday. The case it came in is a disappointing cardboard that is not lockable. When broken down it all fits inside the stock which means now it is rifle parts for backpacking, is that legal here? Trying to understand the laws takes a lawyer and I'm just an old railroader, retired. I do camp out, but, unless I had a CCW license I could not carry anything inside a State park for defense the way I understand it. Anyone else have problems with the laws in this state?
    Considering the piece itself it is well made, lightweight, perfect for my uses. I might have bought an Armalite years ago, but, they had a jamming problem. From what I've seen this is fixed.

Links