Older guns from family

This is a discussion on Older guns from family within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently acquired three older guns from my grandmother's house that she sold. They are: a double barrel 16 guage, a 5-shot pump 16 guage, ...

Thread: Older guns from family

Older guns from family

I recently acquired three older guns from my grandmother's house that she sold. They are: a double barrel 16 guage, a 5-shot pump 16 guage, and a really cool looking 22 pump rifle with a hexagonal or octagonal barrel. All seem to be in good cosmetic condition.

Here's my question - what do I need to do to ensure they're safe to operate and also to maintain them? They've been sitting in a closet in northeastern Ohio for a couple decades. The shotguns were last used probably about 25-30 years ago for quail hunting. No idea when the 22 was last shot. I have dry fired all three and cycled the racks on the pumps, but really have limited experience with this and don't have a lot of confidence in what I'm doing.

If possible (and opinions are welcome) I would also like to use the pump 16 guage as a home defense weapon in addition to my .38 special CCW handgun. Good idea or not?

2. Remove Ads

Thumbs up A pump .22! cool! I don't see very many of those

If your not sure what to check for, or are unsure of how to disassemble these models, your safest bet would be to take them to a gun smith. It probably wouldn't cost you that much.
    As far as HD, I think the 16ga has plenty of punch to do the job. The only thing I don't like about 16ga is the price/availability of the ammo. The thing to keep in mind is the length of the barrel might be awkward inside a house. Either of the two 16s you mentioned could always be shortened by a gun smith...
    Two of my favorite responses:
    "What is it about gun control laws that makes you feel safe?"
    "For the same reason I always wear my seatbelt."

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    +1 what Homer said...

but I don't think I'd want to modify "heirloom" guns. Even if they're Sears specials or something, the fact that they've been in the family counts for a lot. IIRC I saw a Mossberg 20g tactical-type shotgun in my favorite pawnshop for like $150... much better IMO to buy something like that than alter the hand-me-downs.

A good way to find a good gunsmith, if you don't know one already, is ask your favorite gunstore who they use.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Lead Moderator
    All of the above, and stay away from the newer "hot" rounds.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I own a pre 64, 94 Winchester. Wich was my Grandfathers. The crown is damaged, Ill bet the bore isnt in decent condition eather. I thought about taking it to a smith to be reconditioned. The smith I talked to told me that it would be foolish to recondition it. He talked about the sentimental value, and said that it would hurt its market value as well.

I thought about it, and agreed. That rifle has many noches taped into its but plate. What happens if my future son/daughter, shoots a buck with it? I like the signs of abuse, and its overall durability. Too much to change what my grandpa did.

I only took off the sling. Wich is on my curent big game rifle. I still want abit of him to be with me, after all. Its good to know hes with me every time I bag game. With also having a great heirloom protected, for the future generations.

VIP Member
    Should be able to clean them up and use them, as said, do not use mag ammo if they have it in 16 ga. 16 ga ammo is hard to find around here at times.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    i'd go mossberg or remington in .12 ga for home defense....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Administrator
    The .22 pump rifle - If it's in good mechanical shape...I personally would carefully clean the bore - visually check for any physical defects and then don my safety goggles and a shooting glove...test cycle a few rounds through it and then just shoot it with some standard velocity target .22 ammo from the hip and away from my face.
    That is what I would do since any good barreled .22 rifle can contain an unlikely kaboomed rimfire cartridge.
    Then if there are no problems with those test rounds - AKA visually check the firing pin indentation on the cartridge cases and their overall ejected condition and if everything checks out OK then start having fun shooting it.
    I don't want to tell you what to do...only that the .22 you could probably easily test for the safety and condition of it yourself.

Sounds like you might have an old .22 Gallery Pump Rifle and they are Tons Of Fun to shoot.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I would not dry fire the .22, in my opinion. The 16 ga. shottys are cool. I have a beauty of a custom made ithaca 16 ga. that was made about 9 years ago. 22" barrel, english stock, screw in chokes.
    Ammo is only expensive if you listen to the people that sell it and they say it is... Wally world is your local place to purchase.

Lead Moderator
    I agree with all above, but I would not dryfire any older guns.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    If you can find the manufacturer/make/model of the shotguns (or the rifle for that matter), they may be worth more than you think. 16 gauge is/was more popular in Europe, had a friend who inherited a bunch of shotguns, most were wall hangers, but a couple were worth real money. One because of the grade and workmanship, the other because it was WWII issue, but an unusual one to be issued and the provence he had on it.

Go With a Gun Smith...

you know!

Stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Make sure that the 16 gauge is chambered for 2 & 3/4 inch shells. IIRC older 16 gauge shotguns shot a different sized shell, something like a 2 & 9/16 inch shell. (Something like that, experts help me out.) I think those offbeat sized shells were popular in the 40's and 50's. The reason that I know this is because my grandfather had an old Browning sweet 16 that he told me he had rebored to accept the 2 & 3/4 shells. Get it checked out by a gunsmith.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

If you can find the manufacturer/make/model of the shotguns (or the rifle for that matter), they may be worth more than you think.
    Thats how I know when my Wincester was made. It still wont be sold for, the world.

Links