Black powder stash KABOOMS residence! Five miles from my house...

This is a discussion on Black powder stash KABOOMS residence! Five miles from my house... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Isle of Wight Sheriff's Office investigating home explosion - dailypress.com Investigators say the Thursday morning explosion that blew the end off a Zuni house was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Black powder stash KABOOMS residence! Five miles from my house...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Isle of Wight Sheriff's Office investigating home explosion - dailypress.com

Investigators say the Thursday morning explosion that blew the end off a Zuni house was caused by black gunpowder stored in a bedroom, said Isle of Wight Sheriff’s Capt. Rick Gaddis.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    It doesn't take much to set off black powder. Much more volatile than modern gun powder. A friend of mine back in Oklahoma had left the plug out of a powder horn in his garage. Later that day he was outside the garage doing some grinding on a car, 1 spark hit the opening of the powder horn and took out half of a wall.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

right up 460 from me just a couple miles.

Could have been the opossum (They can be vicious)

Investigators are still trying to determine what caused the black powder to explode, he said.
    First they say that the explosion was caused by black powder then they say that they don't know the cause. As someone who keeps a fair amount of the stuff in my house I would like to know what actually caused the explosion. Black powder is not as easy as many believe to set off.

Michael

And to think how many times my cap&ball side lock missfired ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    How much powder? Archer51 says a powder horn took out half a wall, I know my powder wouldn't hold a pound, so just guessing a 1/4 to 1/2 can do some damage.

I'm betting they tried to evict the possum,and erred on the side of "that should be enough"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Glad no one was hurt. Lucky!
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

VIP Member
    That is why the regs limit how many pounds an individual can store. If a person has more than that it should be stored in an approved metal storage box within so many feet of an exterior door.

BP in concentrated amounts and confined is very explosive.

A good reminder of safety precautions necessary with no injuries, other than the poor opossum. Sounds like a near winning entry in our "Redneck and Hillbilly" thread, actually.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    ^ opossum not a raccoon and they're so ugly so its ok :D
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

opossum not a raccoon
    I once had a possum rear up, hiss at me and charge. Scared the dickens out of me (rabies and all) so it took a dirt nap.

I think black powder would have worked too, but my Speer Gold Dot 115's were fairly effective. All 18.

Actually, these folks are darn lucky. Bet it broke some windows.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    That is why the regs limit how many pounds an individual can store. If a person has more than that it should be stored in an approved metal storage box within so many feet of an exterior door.

BP in concentrated amounts and confined is very explosive.
    What regs? There are not many Federal regs regarding individuals storing black powder. Many people purchase it in 25 lb lots or more for home use.
    EDIT: Some local laws do control how much a individual within their jurisdiction can have on hand.

Michael

Black powder is very hydroscopic (absorbs moisture easily)and each time it dries after absorption it becomes more sensitive to shock, friction. Susceptible to static too. If I were a black powder enthusiast I'd store in a cool dry place , Never in my home. I'm sure pyrodex is safer btw...
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Fifty pounds is the max allowable without an approved bunker. Most of us BPCR shooters buy it in 25lb lots. It is not consistent from lot to lot therefore to eliminate a lot of load re-development it's best to have a fair bit of the same lot on hand. Stored properly in its original containers it should not be an issue. Sounds to me like someone did something they are not going to fess up to. Here's an interesting link to dispel some of the blackpowder myth.
    Static Electricity and Black Powder
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links