Question to hunter

This is a discussion on Question to hunter within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I agree with the above posts, also the need to "close down" to make a kill, whether it is on a hunt or slaughtering livestock ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Question to hunter

I agree with the above posts, also the need to "close down" to make a kill, whether it is on a hunt or slaughtering livestock for processing.

It is not a joy to take a life, the joy should come from a hunt experience whether there is a kill or not. Now when it comes to fishing I have to catch something or at least get some bites, or I don't have much fun, hence I don't fish very much.
    phreddy likes this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I love being in a treestand at dawn and watching the woods wake up. I like to eat vension. I like knowing that I can put food on my family's table. Taking a life is the part I don't like much.

I don't hunt and pretty much a vegetarian. Can't pass up a good venison steak though. I have no issues with folks hunting and using the meat. I much rather that than keeping animals in a pen until time for slaughter. When I do eat meat(about once a month) it is from a friends hunt or free range. I do not like at all the idea of hunting for pure sport. When folks pay thousands of dollars to travel hundreds of miles and pay a guide who will take them to the perfect spot to make a kill on an animal for the sole purpose of putting its head on the wall disgusts me. That is not hunting nor is it sport.

I have no problem with hunting to put food on the table. However, most of the hunters I have seen through the years get an adrenaline rush from killing. It's the excitement of killing. I've seen some actually begin to shake and tremble from adrenaline. They call it sport but I call it murder. I'm also surprised at how many DON'T eat the meat. Sure, they have someone they give it too so it doesn't go to waste (hopefully). A larger majority of the wives and children don't like the idea of eating the meat either. The bottom line is that most of the hunting I have seen is purely for fun and excitement at the cost of the animals life. I have close relatives that would never even taste the meat but can't wait for deer season so they can shoot 'the big one'.

An important point... nature has a plan to thin the heard called 'natural selection'. Animals only kill when they're hungry. Usually the animals that nature selects are the weak and the sick. It's the weak/slowest ones at the back of the herd that are easiest for the lions to catch. The strongest animals survive and carry on those genes that makes the herd grow stronger as time goes by. On the other hand...human hunters like to kill the biggest and strongest. They remove the best,healthiest ones from the gene pool for their so called 'trophy'. This is the opposite of what nature intended. It is 'unnatural selection'.

I know many hunters who do in fact hunt and eat the meat they harvest and that's fine. However, I have never met one hunter who didn't want to shoot the biggest one in the herd. It seems to boost their manliness in some odd way as they never fail to brag how big their kill is. The worst offenders are the 'sport trophy hunters'. They are not thinking about food at all. They want to kill big game. In some way killing a rare animal with a high powered rifle boosts their ego. Pathetic people in my book.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Nothing dies for my sake without a little prayer of gratitude for its sacrifice. Don't think that the ones who hunt as part of a circle don't recognize that we're taking now, but someday we'll be the ones to give. Someday, we will all suffer the same fate. There's a sadness when life ends. It must be balanced by the fact that these ends help life to continue elsewhere.

most of the hunters I have seen
    SIg357, it would appear that you aren't hanging out with the right people.

They call it sport but I call it murder
    So someone gets excited about their sport and you call it murder? That thought process all of a sudden makes me understand some of your posts.

I know many hunters who do in fact hunt and eat the meat they harvest and that's fine.
    I am so glad that you approve. It'll make me sleep better.

Pathetic people in my book.
    Are you sure you are on the right forum? There are a host of forums that might be better suited to your tastes.

I agree with most posts. The stages of hunting I have seen before. As a hunter and as a "homesteader" I hate it too.. But talking again about stewardship. The reason they allow people to hunt and the numbers that are allowed to be harvested are a science. Each tag issuing authority has a biologist and based on that science they determine how many should be "taken". These are also based on how many the habitat can support. many deer, without the proper habitat, will starve to death and die slowly over the winter. These number are also very much so based on population control.

This is especially true with say coyotes. There is no natural predator for them and although they do kill deer and livestock their population must be controlled.....and when the environment cant do that...you have to hunt them to keep the "balance".

Now from killing livestock, say goats which I have done and raising pigs. I give them plenty of room and (what I feel) is a very good life,and although hard to slaughter you have to remember why you got them, to eat. To ensure I can "sleep at night" I just give them the BEST life I can while here and respect them as living things and when that time comes..well, atleast I can say I made them happy while they were here. NOt all think that way But again...thats how I sleep at night with it.

Hunting is needed and is part of the chain or as I read in another post...the circle of life. If you dont the habitat will also whither away and support NONE at some point. Just like shoot sports, and just like motorcycles or anything else. All it takes is a few bad apples to give it a bad name for everyone. Hunting is no different.
    Sig35seven and msgt/ret like this.
    Please...work HARDER as MILLIONS on welfare depending on YOU !!

I know many hunters who do in fact hunt and eat the meat they harvest and that's fine. However, I have never met one hunter who didn't want to shoot the biggest one in the herd. It seems to boost their manliness in some odd way as they never fail to brag how big their kill is. The worst offenders are the 'sport trophy hunters'. They are not thinking about food at all. They want to kill big game. In some way killing a rare animal with a high powered rifle boosts their ego. Pathetic people in my book.
    You really should not speak of what you obviously have no clue about, it will just make you look foolish.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    You really should not speak of what you obviously have no clue about, it will just make you look foolish.
    I have been a hunter all my life and I speak from what I know very well. What part of my post don't you agree with? Please enlighten me.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandBob View Post
    SIg357, it would appear that you aren't hanging out with the right people.

So someone gets excited about their sport and you call it murder? That thought process all of a sudden makes me understand some of your posts.

I am so glad that you approve. It'll make me sleep better.

Are you sure you are on the right forum? There are a host of forums that might be better suited to your tastes.
    When someone gets excited about killing an animal and then calls it sport, yes I believe it's on par with murder. True hunting and getting excited about putting meat in the freezer is something completely different.

If the majority of people on this forum go hunting to experience the thrill of 'killing' animals for the sake of killing them then yes, I would want no part of that group. I believe senseless killing for the adrenaline rush is wrong and if that's what you call sport so be it. I don't believe that would be the majority of true hunters/sportsman here on this forum.

BTW... this is a concealed carry forum not a hunting forum. Are you sure you are in the right forum?

For me, it's a way of life. My Dad and brothers were always out hunting every chance they got. I was ecstatic when my turn came. I'll never forget that first season. I couldn't take the first shot I had, which just happened to be a VERY large buck that my Dad had been after for years. I wound up taking a nice mature doe a week later. That buck is still out here, and to this day I've never gotten the opportunity for another ethical shot on him.

Another big thing is that we responsible hunters are very meticulous in making sure we can put the animal down as quickly as possible. I took a total of 4 deer this season and none of them managed to make it more than a few feet. One of them was even taken with a headshot.

There's nothing easy about taking an animals life, but to a lot of people it's a very important part of life. 50% of my meat each year is deer. If you can put your emotions aside and you're doing it for the right reason, there's no reason to hesitate when the time comes.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    For me, it's a way of life. My Dad and brothers were always out hunting every chance they got. I was ecstatic when my turn came. I'll never forget that first season. I couldn't take the first shot I had, which just happened to be a VERY large buck that my Dad had been after for years. I wound up taking a nice mature doe a week later. That buck is still out here, and to this day I've never gotten the opportunity for another ethical shot on him.

Another big thing is that we responsible hunters are very meticulous in making sure we can put the animal down as quickly as possible. I took a total of 4 deer this season and none of them managed to make it more than a few feet. One of them was even taken with a headshot.

There's nothing easy about taking an animals life, but to a lot of people it's a very important part of life. 50% of my meat each year is deer. If you can put your emotions aside and you're doing it for the right reason, there's no reason to hesitate when the time comes.

I'm glad you do it only for the meat and make sure you try to get a quick kill. It's good to see that. I bet that buck is like the giant fish that always seems to get away haha.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

If it makes the OP feel any better, in addition to target shooting - I like to ride motorcycle. The less deer there are, the better my chances of making it home in one piece. Speaking of which, anyone interested in "thinning the herd" on inattentive drivers?

I have been a hunter all my life and I speak from what I know very well. What part of my post don't you agree with? Please enlighten me.
    First off your natural selection usually is accomplished by starvation or predation, neither are a quick and painless way to die. Second the largest animals are more often than not the oldest and beyond viable breeding age and only stand to weaken the gene pool when they do breed. Third if you know anyone that has been to Africa harvesting trophy animals you would know that not one ounce of that meat goes to waste.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Senior Moderator
    When someone gets excited about killing an animal and then calls it sport, yes I believe it's on par with murder

Killing an animal in no way equates with murder. Murder is the taking of a human life, there is no murder of animals unless you happen to be tree hugging liberal that equates chopping down a tree with murdering it. If you beleive that, then there is nothing any one here can say to change your mind.

True hunting and getting excited about putting meat in the freezer is something completely different.
    What is your version of "true hunting"? Is that different than false hunting or fake hunting?

You arent making much sense here. In one sentence you say getting excited about killing an animal is on par with murder and in another you say getting excited about putting meat in the freezer is something completley different, when in fact it is not.

Your version of hunting is obviously different than mine and the people that you hang out with apparently are not at all like the people I hang out with when hunting.
    hogdaddy likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links