Question to hunter

This is a discussion on Question to hunter within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Harryball IMO this is the best statement in the thread so far. There is a thrill in the hunt. Its mans hunting ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Question to hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    IMO this is the best statement in the thread so far.

There is a thrill in the hunt. Its mans hunting and gathering side coming out. We are so far removed from this, that some believe the harvest is murder, for those I feel sorry. Those are the folks we should worry about. When you eat your chicken or steak, thank the people that have the stones to fill your shopping cart.....
    Who on this thread said harvest is murder?

I did say needless killing for fun had nothing to do with harvest. Harvest=good ...senseless killing for fun=bad. Did you miss that? Apparently so.

BTW...women are the gatherers. men are the hunters.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I have been hunting my whole life and love everything about it! I still find myself feeling bad for any animal I have taken, be it fish or game. That feeling only last a short while though because to me I know that I am always killing something to use it (i.e. eat), and that it is just part of the food chain. I guarantee you that there has never been a bear, lion, panther, shark, snake, wolf, eagle, bass, coyote or dinosaur that felt bad for killing it's prey.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Gunnutty likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

I've done a little guiding through the years, wrote a column for a gun and hunting magazine for eight years, and have noticed as men age they get less enthused with the killing of game. I think it's just a deeper respect for life in general. I believe prey animals are put here to be eaten. It's their function. We should be respectful in doing so but management is part of man's purpose. The responsibility is on us to kill quickly and to utilize the meat.
    oneshot and Sig35seven like this.
    Ruger SP101 3" .357
    Taurus 941UL .22WMR
    Mini-14
    H&R Pardner Pump 20

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Who on this thread said harvest is murder?

I did say needless killing for fun had nothing to do with harvest. Harvest=good ...senseless killing for fun=bad. Did you miss that? Apparently so.

BTW...women are the gatherers. men are the hunters.
    Ill give you senseless killing, but murder, No. I didnt miss anything in your previous posts. BTW you took mans as men not man kind. I do not need a history lesson on hunting and gathering. We will have to agree to disagree on what Hunting means to man kind....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Man destroys life (destroys everything). We as hunters (not really needing meat) go after the biggest and best of a species. Nature takes the weakest and allows the strong to survive and procreate

^^Your kidding right??^^^^^^^^^^^

OR, your trolling,,,,,,,
    Which is it.?

Wolves kill 120 sheep at ranch near Dillon

^^^Wolves kill 120 sheep at ranch near Dillon^^^^^^^^^^

Wolf Predation on Sheep in Alaska

^^^^^^^WOLF PREDATION ON SHEEP IN ALASKA^^^^^^^^^^^^

From article above;

BONE MARROW: All samples checked showed high fat levels. Animals not nutritionally stressed. All animals checked appeared in good physical condition with no defects making them susceptible to predation.

NUMBER OF DEAD RAMS: 20
    12 rams - little or no use by wolves
    6 rams - 40 to 90% consumed by wolves
    2 rams - No estimate of consumption. Checked too late- damaged by ravens

MOUNTAIN LION FACT SHEET

^^^Taken from article/link above^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Mountain lions are solitary animals. They tend to live in remote country and are seldom seen by humans. They hunt their prey by stealth and ambush. Their method of killing is usually with a powerful bite at the base of the skull, breaking the neck. ("Living with Wildlife in Mountain Lion Country," Colorado Division of Wildlife, Denver, CO) The mountain lion, like the domestic cat with a mouse, will kill for the sake of killing. A lion may kill many more animals in an attack than it can possibly consume. Lions have killed as many as twenty sheep at one time. (U. S. Department of Agriculture, Wildlife Services [formerly Animal Damage Control], Reno, Nevada)

That fallacy of the prey only killing the sick/old/young is just that, a fallacy, please don't perpetuate baloney, there's enough of that going around.
    If you dig around, you will also find similar evidence of this in all area's of the world.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

If you care to check out the MO deer harvest summary 2010-2011 you'd realize that only 38% of the deer taken in MO were antlered bucks and I'd bet most of those were nowhere close to being wall hangers. You've obviously been exposed to a very much non-representative group of hunters. Yeah, the vast majority would love to get a buck with a really nice rack, but those same hunters are also very happy to get a deer of any size - not to mention the ones that would rather have a tender doe vs. a tough old buck. You should hang around with a different group.

Like Bubba said in another post. I think our sensitivity meter is going off the chart....There are life lessons involved in hunting...Come on...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

If you watch the TV shows on hunting, yes you will see folks looking for wall hangers for the most part. A small minority of people get to have TV shows. If one looks at what is shown on TV you don't get a good picture of the norm for hunting. For example, how many times do you see the TV folks fill out and affix the tag on the animal immediately after the kill?

Even on the game ranches in the southwest, they do good jobs in maintaining healthy herds by culling too many females and animals that have bad genetics. Many states have "hunters for hungry" or similar programs where hunters can donate kills to feed people who need assistance. Game populations have been helped by man and management programs, not hurt by them. This doesn't happen if the majority of hunters don't have respect for the animal which they choose to hunt.

However, just as the link that oneshot pointed out, there are anomalies in both the animal kingdom as there are in the human population where you get incidents which stand out, but that is not the norm in either place.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links