Defensive Carry banner

Music at the range?

2K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  jasonblitz 
#1 ·
I was at the range today, and I had Disturbed playing in my headphones under my ear protection. Point is; it was awesome and very motivating. This question might be outlandish or farfetched, but could this kind of act as a handicap or diminish my abilities if I were to ever be in an active shooting?

Music motivates me while I run to the point that I cant run without it; I think it might have the same effect with me practicing my shooting. Again, I apologize for the random thought, but what better place to get insight than the DC forum? Any ideas if this would help or hurt?

#2 ·
I'm not sure about the range, but when I train on my heavy bag I can only listen to music while I do it. It really does pump you up. Sorry I can't be of more help haha :d

#4 ·
Haha he means the second one. And I agree I don't think music has any negative effect really and actually can improve your eyesight if you get pumped up enough. (from adrenaline)

#6 ·
Should work out fine if your "active shoot" occurs at the county fair next to the roller coaster.

Seriously though, while probably not a major detractor you may want to consider the hindrance in determining a squib round or misfire while practicing. Not a major concern but one still the same.

#16 ·
That is why I don't even bother carrying when I run. I run 5 to 13 miles a few days a week and on Saturday, my long slow run, I will walk, run 15 to 20.

#8 ·
It's sad really. The "walking with your head down while the Ipod is on 24/7" crowd is old enough to own guns. 2012 must be the end of it all.

OK all joking aside, do you really think you'll need music to survive? Is that really your question?

#9 ·
I personally train to the music from the dance scene from "Boogie Nights". See below. In a perfect world I'll be wearing that outfit (My training getup isn't orange but the one I wear every day is unless it's at the cleaners and then I wear a plaid one that is a little bit dated) and you'd be amazed at the number of guns I can carry in ankle holsters with those bell bottoms.

#11 ·
From a practical point of view, listening to music to tune out the world may be considered bad form. With ear protection on you can still hear verbal commands shouted down the firing line or over the horn/speaker alert system like they have at my indoor range, but with music playing, you could easily miss them and cause an issue during a cease-fire.

#20 ·
Being old school (LEO father) trained, I don't think anything like that belongs on the range for safety reasons like BigFish stated above. I think when safety of everyone is on the line, you need to be able to hear shouted commands, etc. My dad would FREAK if I started listening to music while shooting. Even now with him being 73 y/o, he would still kick my butt :tongue:

#12 ·
Thats a really good point bigfish...The drive music gives me to have a disciplined practice is not worth missing one of those range commands. Ill stick to music while running, not shooting. I never even thought of that thanks man

#18 ·
When I'm shooting I rock to "Richard Simmons Sweatin' to the Oldies"

Really makes me want to kill out that paper silhouette target... with a vengeance!

J/K

In all honesty I get into that "zone" from the pistols own action rhythm... no music needed.

When I'm doing my HIIT cardio (high intensity interval training) I always listen to classic rock :smile:

#19 ·
Reactions: Rock and Glock
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.