Music at the range?

This is a discussion on Music at the range? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was at the range today, and I had Disturbed playing in my headphones under my ear protection. Point is; it was awesome and very ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Music at the range?

Music at the range?

I was at the range today, and I had Disturbed playing in my headphones under my ear protection. Point is; it was awesome and very motivating. This question might be outlandish or farfetched, but could this kind of act as a handicap or diminish my abilities if I were to ever be in an active shooting?

Music motivates me while I run to the point that I cant run without it; I think it might have the same effect with me practicing my shooting. Again, I apologize for the random thought, but what better place to get insight than the DC forum? Any ideas if this would help or hurt?
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I'm not sure about the range, but when I train on my heavy bag I can only listen to music while I do it. It really does pump you up. Sorry I can't be of more help haha :d
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

RKM
    Wait... do you mean an active shooting like a REAL shooting? So you see a maniac set loose on a crowd and you pop in your headphones before you draw? I guess it could work...

Or... do you mean practicing while listening to music can handicap your abilities if put in a real situation? I'd say probably not.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    Wait... do you mean an active shooting like a REAL shooting? So you see a maniac set loose on a crowd and you pop in your headphones before you draw? I guess it could work...

Or... do you mean practicing while listening to music can handicap your abilities if put in a real situation? I'd say probably not.
    Haha he means the second one. And I agree I don't think music has any negative effect really and actually can improve your eyesight if you get pumped up enough. (from adrenaline)
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

What's going to happen if you get into a real shooting and you don't have your music on? Will you be able to perform?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Should work out fine if your "active shoot" occurs at the county fair next to the roller coaster.

Seriously though, while probably not a major detractor you may want to consider the hindrance in determining a squib round or misfire while practicing. Not a major concern but one still the same.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Running with headset/music on is antithetical to SA.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

VIP Member
    It's sad really. The "walking with your head down while the Ipod is on 24/7" crowd is old enough to own guns. 2012 must be the end of it all.

OK all joking aside, do you really think you'll need music to survive? Is that really your question?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I personally train to the music from the dance scene from "Boogie Nights". See below. In a perfect world I'll be wearing that outfit (My training getup isn't orange but the one I wear every day is unless it's at the cleaners and then I wear a plaid one that is a little bit dated) and you'd be amazed at the number of guns I can carry in ankle holsters with those bell bottoms.

And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

VIP Member
    Personally, I prefer to train in adverse, not comfortable conditions.

If I can shoot well on miserable hot sweaty day, trying to grip a Glock like a bar of soap with a deer fly chewing on the back of my neck, and gnats in both my eyes, I'm doing alright.

My life just doesn't need a soundtrack.
    Superhouse 15 likes this.

From a practical point of view, listening to music to tune out the world may be considered bad form. With ear protection on you can still hear verbal commands shouted down the firing line or over the horn/speaker alert system like they have at my indoor range, but with music playing, you could easily miss them and cause an issue during a cease-fire.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

Thats a really good point bigfish...The drive music gives me to have a disciplined practice is not worth missing one of those range commands. Ill stick to music while running, not shooting. I never even thought of that thanks man
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Personally, I prefer to train in adverse, not comfortable conditions.

If I can shoot well on miserable hot sweaty day, trying to grip a Glock like a bar of soap with a deer fly chewing on the back of my neck, and gnats in both my eyes, I'm doing alright.

My life just doesn't need a soundtrack.
    WHEC, take a bath .....please
    WHEC724 likes this.

Administrator
    "Music motivates me while I run to the point that I cant run without it;"

If you can't run without music then music has already diminished your abilities.
    MotorCityGun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    What's going to happen if you get into a real shooting and you don't have your music on? Will you be able to perform?
    You could always ask the bad guys to whistle a tune for ya.

Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links