My daughter says I'm mean. I'm so ashamed ....

My daughter says I'm mean. I'm so ashamed ....

This is a discussion on My daughter says I'm mean. I'm so ashamed .... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's the scenario..... #1 son and I just got back from the range. He is standing at the front of our garage on a portable ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: My daughter says I'm mean. I'm so ashamed ....

Talking My daughter says I'm mean. I'm so ashamed ....

Here's the scenario..... #1 son and I just got back from the range. He is standing at the front of our garage on a portable bench cleaning handguns and shotguns. I'm in the driveway working on some folding portable target stands. My shirt is riding up and it's pretty obvious the XDM is on my side.

There are some rental houses close by, one next door, to my house, so we occasionally see some "unique" transient neighbors. As I'm working, one guy comes walking up my driveway (about 75 feet). Never seen him before. It's about 75* and he's wearing a jacket..... I stand up and asked if I could help him. He says, "whatcha building?"

Without cracking a smile or missing a beat, I say "rifle and pistol target stands for a home defense firearms class I teach". OMG, Scotty could not have beamed this guy up any quicker than he left my drive! I don't really teach a class, it just seemed like the best smart assed answer I could come up with at the time. LOL

Son & I are rolling! 14 year old daughter gives me hell for scaring this guy.

Some days, I really love being me
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

Distinguished Member
    Now that is a good one.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    She's probably worried about bringing boys home to meet the dad, now.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

One of the rules of not being a victim is don't give the appearance of one. Excellent example on giving a "I am not willing to be a victim" appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    I take my daughter to the range all the time, and even though she is only 8, not interested in boys, and can shoot pretty well, she is already very scared to bring a boy home.

Knowing how my 8 year old daughter shoots, any boy better be afraid of her if they mistreat her!
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I take my daughter to the range all the time, and even though she is only 8, not interested in boys, and can shoot pretty well, she is already very scared to bring a boy home.

Knowing how my 8 year old daughter shoots, any boy better be afraid of her if they mistreat her!
    I have 3 kids (oldest is my 14 yr old daughter, then 13 and 11 yr old sons). The first time we went out shooting with the kids, my daughter had just turned 14. She had never handled any guns before but my sister-in-law and her husband have quite a few and had asked us if we wanted to come along. So, we took them all along and after a quick time of being shown how to load and use it - shooting an Israeli Galil which my BIL has, she then proceeded to, on her own, go load the magazine, pop it in, pull the charging handle as if she was a pro at it and then proceeded to bullseye the target she was aiming at with about a 3 inch grouping of about 10 rounds. She picked up on it QUICK.

She's the type that won't take guff off of any one but is respectful. I don't really think I need to worry too much (although there is still going to be some).
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Have you seen the tshirt that says "DADD - Dads Against Daughters Dating", "Shoot the first one and the word will spread".
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

That's awesome - good and bad though, I bet word will spread that both you will defend your home, but also that you have guns in the home. Would've been cool if he asked how much for a class.
    joker1 likes this.

Great response, just hope you didn't paint a bullseye on your home while you are away. Got safe?
    Superhouse 15 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

There is rarely EVER a time when no one is home. 2 sons, 2 daughters, wife, dog, cat, all on different schedules. And the local PD is behind my house . We won't discuss the other security measures
    CountryGal and joker1 like this.
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

Why ya gotta be so mean?

dan

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I have two cop friends that both used the same technique: on their daughters first date with any guy, they sat at the kitchen table cleaning their guns. Don't know if it ever worked but they enjoyed the impression they were making.
    accessbob and Honk like this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

She should be.

Nice story and "technique" for hammering home the point.

I believe it was Charles Barkely who uttered the phrase when his daughter was going on her first date. He lamented to someone about it and said that "If I take out the first one, then the word will get around" or something like it.

Dads and Daughters. Got to love them!
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; March 24th, 2012 at 08:53 AM.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I tried to convince my wife that we should be able to register for a shotgun on the baby registry if you have a girl. She agreed to let me if I found a place that has a baby registry and shotguns.
    I couldn't find one. Anyone else know of one for next time?
    Walk softly ...

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links