FFL Transfer question

This is a discussion on FFL Transfer question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi everyone, I'm going to be ordering a lower receiver this week and I'm having it shipped to a local FFL. I plan to order ...

Thread: FFL Transfer question

FFL Transfer question

Hi everyone, I'm going to be ordering a lower receiver this week and I'm having it shipped to a local FFL. I plan to order from BCM. My question is about the background check. I'm 20yrs old and have a clean record, ( a few non moving violations, and a speeding ticket in Georgia... No drugs/ theft/ violent crimes). What has me concerned is that I have to send a USPS money order to BCM, they ship to my FFL THEN they do the background check. Maybe this is me being paranoid, but I've read horror stories of people being denied after their order shipped and I plan on ordering 3 receivers so if the chance of me being in that situation and losing all that makes me nervous.

Am I being paranoid? does this scenario happen often? My FFL said if you don't have a record don't sweat it, but I make 12 bucks and hour and pay my way through school the the thought of flushing $700 away makes me nervous.

2. Remove Ads

Never been a problem for me and I have used FFL transfers several times. Worse case, I bet BCM has been down that road before.

I'd say contact BCM prior to ordering and check what their return policy would be in that case. I'm sure they would work with you.

Senior Moderator
    Am I being paranoid? does this scenario happen often?
    A little bit. It does not happen often.

You should clear the background check with no issues. If you didnt pay your speeding ticket in Georgia because you live in Florida, then that might be an issue as you are a "fugitive from justice" but if that is not the case then you should be good to go.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Have you bought other guns where they ran a background check? If so you have very little to worry about.

If you order multiple lowers does it require multiple transfer fees?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Well I hope I don't burst a bubble here, but I was denied purchase for a stripped lower for an AR because I was 20 years old, like you. I would double check that first and foremost. If they are complete lowers with a stock then I think you're ok according to the law. The dealer did the background check, which I passed, but must have remembered the rule about stripped lowers for rifles can't be sold to people under 21 because they can just as easily be made into a pistol rather than a rifle, after the fact. Got to love the law, I honestly had no idea of it when I went in to buy it and was shocked, but not surprised to hear about.

And that's the story of why I bought an M&P 15 sport rather than a stripped lower and a Palmetto Armory kit.

Ya, I paid all of the tickets in time.

I have not ever purchased a firearm from an FFL, its all been private purchases so far.

I would pay for multiple transfers but it get cheaper every weapon you order.

I would be buying a complete upper, but it wouldn't have a stock, so IDK about the pistol issue. That's really silly you couldn't buy a the stripped lower cause you could convert the m&p to a pistol, but what more can we expect from gun laws?

Thanks for all the info, I'll email BCM, I hadn't thought of that.

Senior Moderator
    If you order multiple lowers does it require multiple transfer fees?
    That depends entirely upon the dealer.

I did 6 of them several weeks ago, but since they were all in the same box, I just charged one transfer fee.

I have known of others that charge a separate transfer fee for each one.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

This happened at our shop and we had to send it back. I think but, I am not sure, he only had to pay shipping. You better check this out.
    Quote Originally Posted by JaySkiBum View Post
    Well I hope I don't burst a bubble here, but I was denied purchase for a stripped lower for an AR because I was 20 years old, like you. I would double check that first and foremost. If they are complete lowers with a stock then I think you're ok according to the law. The dealer did the background check, which I passed, but must have remembered the rule about stripped lowers for rifles can't be sold to people under 21 because they can just as easily be made into a pistol rather than a rifle, after the fact. Got to love the law, I honestly had no idea of it when I went in to buy it and was shocked, but not surprised to hear about.

And that's the story of why I bought an M&P 15 sport rather than a stripped lower and a Palmetto Armory kit.

I have ordered lowers 3 at a time before and I always pay one transfer fee. But I deal with 2 FFLs that I know and who know me well. All three go on one form.

Links