Scope Fogging

This is a discussion on Scope Fogging within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm starting to plan for next hunting season and I have a question/story about my scope. Last season I bought a scope from one of ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By atctimmy

Thread: Scope Fogging

Scope Fogging

I'm starting to plan for next hunting season and I have a question/story about my scope. Last season I bought a scope from one of the guys on this forum and its great, I only had one issue with it; I was sittin on a hill and a decent sized doe walked out about 80 yards from me, when I got on my rifle to scope her the heat from my face fogged up my lens. Needless to say I was unable to take a shot. It still turned out to be a successful hunt, I filled both my tags and got my first muley; but the fogging was a bit frustrating.
    I tried searching around to see if anyone had already posted any tips/tricks/products to prevent the fogging but came up empty. It is nitrogen filled so the fogging is only on the outside of the lens. Any ideas?

2. Remove Ads

Try to get a little father back and make sure you breathe out of your nose when you are looking through the scope. Also if leave your gun in the truck overnight before you hunt it will help with the fogging too.
    1 gun 1 reload 1 knife
    If 27 .40cal Hornady Critical Defense cant save me, only God can.

VIP Member
    OK first things first. definitions: Fogging means that the inside of your scope has moisture in it.

Your problem in condensation. When you have cold glass and hot, moist breath (1) or warm glass and cool damp air you are going to get some condensation (2).

Two tricks I know to help prevent condensation is to 1) keep your gun outside the night before a hunt (in your tuck or on an back porch) this allows your gun to be the same temp as the out side air eliminating reason #2. Tip 2) is to carry a small cotton lense cloth with you in the field. Old T- shirt material works well for this. In the event that your lense is wet you just wipe it off real quick and you are good to go.

Oh, and as the guy said above....stop breathing on your scope.

Seriously though, the little cotton rag trick works.
    oneshot likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

It's been awhile,but IIRC they make a product for anti fogging,I linked a Bausch and lomb product below
    Buy Bausch & Lomb FogShield Sport Anti-Fog Treatment & Lens Cleaning System, Spray & Micro-Fiber Cloth & More | drugstore.com
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks for the tips. I didn't think it was from my breath because I was wearing a face mask and I was trying to force my breath down. I will try leaving it in my truck the night before. Thanks for the link I will give that a try too.

Not sure if this will work but divers either spit on their dive masks or rub them with a raw potato to stop fogging

Quote Originally Posted by charlie1826 View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I didn't think it was from my breath because I was wearing a face mask and I was trying to force my breath down. I will try leaving it in my truck the night before. Thanks for the link I will give that a try too.
    A face mask will shoot your breath right up through the eye hole and onto your scope. I always pull the mask opening down past my nose before I try to line up a shot.

Watch your breathing. I breath out as I squeeze the trigger, so I have to be very careful. And wear gloves with soft tips on the fingers. You can reach up and clear the scope pretty quick. I've had to do it more than once. And try not to hold the scope close to your body. It can warm up there and fog when you pull it away to shoot. Happens to the best of us.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Links