Stainless steel??

This is a discussion on Stainless steel?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've decided to treat myself to a brand new Taurus PT1911. My only problem is whether I should get the blued or (for an extra ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Stainless steel??

Stainless steel??

I've decided to treat myself to a brand new Taurus PT1911. My only problem is whether I should get the blued or (for an extra $80) get the stainless. I've never owned a stainless pistol so I'm not quite sure about the pro's and con's of them if any but they sure are pretty!. Can I please solicit some advice??

2. Remove Ads

Stainless - more durable- good looking. (not better looking IMO, different and still good). Looks sexy with some nice rosewood grips. easier to spot the grime if you like a clean pistol. Harder to clean the grime if you like a clean pistol. If you live near the coast and the finish starts going south... its pretty much game over. (speaking from my experience living almost on the beach in Northern California)
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Stainless - or, more correctly "corrosion resistant" steel - is pretty good stuff for firearms. If your gun is going to be exposed to high humidity, salt air, sweat, stainless will minimize your maintenance issues. For brushed or matte finishes, minor blemishes can be removed without having to strip the old finish off and re-apply it (such as with bluing, nickel plating, Parkerizing, etc.). You'll see more discoloration around the muzzle and the front of a revolver cylinder from carbon, but that's generally not unsightly (in my view). All in all, I'd say it's worth the extra uptick in price to go with stainless.

Mind you, stainless means "reduced" and not "zero" maintenance. You still need to lubricate your stainless gun, and wiping off moisture and sweat is still a good thing to do.
    JD likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links