Samuel Colt is Turning in his Grave!!

This is a discussion on Samuel Colt is Turning in his Grave!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I never thought I would see the day when my wife would actually come to me and demand I show her how to shoot. She ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar

I never thought I would see the day when my wife would actually come to me and demand I show her how to shoot. She has always been tolerant of my complete love of guns and shooting just not really embraced it.

Since, she has never shot a pistol we spent sometime going over shot placement, safety precautions, mechanics and sight alignment. We then headed off to the range after she and I both felt comfortable. I brought along a Taurus Tracker in .22LR for her to shoot. Thinking that the lack of recoil, weight and balance would be the best for her to start on.

She loads up the Taurus and proceeds to burn through 100 rounds at 7 yards. All but three rounds were center mass with a spread of about 8". I have to say I have been really proud of my wife for many things but I was so extremely happy/proud I could barely contain myself. That was until she starts eyeing my USPc .40. Asks if she can just shoot one round. I nervously agree (I was still worried about recoil). She puts her one round in the 10 ring and starts grinning from ear to ear.

She takes a full mag and empties it center mass with about a 3" spread. Puts the gun down turns to me and says "the little gun is nice but I want your gun, the little gun is too wimpy". God, I love my wife!!!

LOL...oh well, I guess we will become a two HK family. Come to think of it, I have been wanting a reason to buy an HK P2000.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Senior Moderator
    You Sir,
    are a lucky man...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    now you're in trouble. Every gun you have is at risk.
    And when you go shopping she's coming along. Because after you buy it, it's HER'S.

Happened with my wife and daughter.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Lead Moderator
    Took my wife to a basic pistol class I was helping teach. Now she wants a wheelgun! At least my SIGs are safe!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Assistant Administrator
    Another good lady shows her metal Gotta love it.

I too know my SIG's are safe but am hoping eventually to upgrade my wife from Bersa .380 to my (new to me) UC9 Bersa. Mind you she best shoots my M66 4" revo but that is not really ideal for her to carry, so it remains a house gun.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Congrats! Any idea what event triggered the change?

My wife was frightened by an idot driver yesterday and called me asking if I thought she should be worried. Probably nothing, just some idiot who thought she was driving too slow, tailgated her for a while, and flipped her the bird. Anyway, I used the opportunity to remind her that if she would listen to me, she'd have a defensive weapon on her in case the idiot decided to do more than flip her off.

Next step is to get her some training, and figure out what she'd be most comfortable shooting :)
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Ditto on "Any idea what event triggered the change?" Just curious. My wife has no problem with me carrying but has no interest in doing so herself. Just not in her makeup I guess and I don't press it. I figure she may come around on her own someday.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    cmidkiff - You ask a good question. About three months ago we were on our boat with our kids. There is a lake near the house that we enjoy spending time on relaxing. It was a Saturday and my wife and I were hanging out enjoy the sun while the kids swam. We were away from the main body of water on a somewhat secluded cove when all of the sudden some idiot in a cigarette boat comes flying by our starboard side at about 50 miles an hour only about 30 feet from our boat. Needless to say I was not a happy camper and yelled at the guy to slow the heck down.

No sooner had I yelled for him to slow down and he turns the boat around and heads for our boat. There was the driver and three of his steroid enhanced buddies. I keep a Taurus Model 85 close to the helm just in case I ever need it. As the boat is moving towards ours I slipped the pistol into the pocket of my swimshorts. Anyway, this guy brings his boat alongside mine and starts talking crap. I calmy explained to his drunken self that he was clearly operating his boat in a reckless fashion and he was going to hurt someone. He yelled something about my mother and drove off the same way he came in. I then called lake fire and rescue and gave them all of his information.

After I calmed down I used the opportunity to talk to my kids about the importance of difusing a situation while still protecting yourself. Then pointed out the stupid mistakes that Dad had made:

1.Don't yell at drunken idiots - just call LE and let them handle
    2. Get a bigger weapon for the boat:)
    *I'm sure you guys can help me with any others I made*

Later that night my wife and I talked about it and she told me how incredibly happy she was that I was armed (what's the saying? don't get between a mama bear and her cubs). I think she also saw that a weapon is not how you de-escalate a situation, it is just a tool. Anyway, she has come around and I am very happy about it.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Congrats and sorry to hear about the 2nd mortgage your gonna have to get to support your wifes new habit LOL. Now, if only my wife would get in the game Good luck and stay safe.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Don't yell at drunken idiots
    Truly words to live by :)

Seems to me that in nearly every case I'm familiar with, people are either raised around guns, or _something_ happens that causes people to see that guns are valuable tools. Glad to hear in your wife's case, as in my wife's recent conversion, that it was nothing worse than a shouting match. Unfortunatly, sometimes it takes much more for people to learn.

A conservative is a liberal who has been mugged...
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Another good lady shows her metal Gotta love it.

I too know my SIG's are safe but am hoping eventually to upgrade my wife from Bersa .380 to my (new to me) UC9 Bersa. Mind you she best shoots my M66 4" revo but that is not really ideal for her to carry, so it remains a house gun.
    Congrats on the new wife. Chris' (P95) SIGs are safe and he is hoping to upgrade his wife from the .380 to the new to him UC9. The UC9 is new to him because my wife decided she wants a SIG P239 in whatever caliber I can find it in. She shoot everything very well. Doesn't like DAO, but when she shoots them she still just leaves a 2 to 2.75" hole in the center of the target. Until I find her a P239 she has my .357SIG version. I can't get it back until she gets hers. I hope I can find a .40 that way we will have a complete set.

By the way if your wife ever fires a SIG P239 you may be an HK and SIG family. It's really not a bad idea. My wife has small hands and really likes the P239 with Hogue grips. (So do I.)
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    Thats great USPnTX, that's the kind of things most of us guys dream of!

Spoil Her With Weapon Purchases...

of course, 'His & Her Sets'!

Stay safe...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Congrats! That'll be a lot of fun - some range time together.....dinner....candle light...............some wine............and then Hoppes #9 to close then evening...........

VIP Member
    The only bad part is that she'll always manage to out shoot you! I don't know how they do it but remember... I told ya!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links