Bullet In Sink A Half-Mile Away - Page 2

Bullet In Sink A Half-Mile Away

This is a discussion on Bullet In Sink A Half-Mile Away within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've read somewhere long ago before the internet so it may be from a mag that the bullet will drop at the same rate as ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bullet In Sink A Half-Mile Away

I've read somewhere long ago before the internet so it may be from a mag that the bullet will drop at the same rate as a dropped object. That is if it shot perfectly level. Shoot it at an arc and of course the bullet will fly farther and longer.

in Mar 15 a golfer got hit with a bullet that supposingly came from my local range.

Golfer hit by bullet wants S.A. shooting range changes | kens5.com San Antonio

Quote Originally Posted by WillyNilly View Post
    I've read somewhere long ago before the internet so it may be from a mag that the bullet will drop at the same rate as a dropped object. That is if it shot perfectly level. Shoot it at an arc and of course the bullet will fly farther and longer.

in Mar 15 a golfer got hit with a bullet that supposingly came from my local range.

Golfer hit by bullet wants S.A. shooting range changes | kens5.com San Antonio
    All things being equal, yep. Mythbusters worked on that proposition a while back, showed it to be true. Gravity is an equal opportunity force.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Sounds like the Port Clinton city need to fix their range. Also sounds like someone shot upward into the air. A half mile
    is 2500 feet. The muzzle velocity of a .40 is about 1000 fps. On a horizontal line (and assuming an unrealistic steady velocity instead of deceleration due to friction) it would take 2.5 seconds to go 1/2 mile. I don't remember my basic physics formula for acceleration of gravity, but acceleration of gravity would drop that to the ground in under a second if not fired upward.

They need to look at the arrangement of their range or for someone who was firing in an irresponsible way.
    gravitational acceleration in a vacuum is 9.8 m/s/s...so after 2.5 seconds that bullet would have been falling at over 20 m/s or about 60 feet per second if fired level. If fired upward, negating deceleration due to air friction it would only have to peak 30 to 40 feet high at its mid rang trajectory. The first half of its flight it would be rising but decelerating upward, (in physics terms travelling upward but accelerating downward.) the second half of its flight still accelerating downward at the same rate it would start falling and reach a downward velocity of 9.8 m/s after that second second. Long story short mid range height doesn't have to be that high for a 2.5 second flight time at 1000f/s.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    gravitational acceleration in a vacuum is 9.8 m/s/s...so after 2.5 seconds that bullet would have been falling at over 20 m/s or about 60 feet per second if fired level. If fired upward, negating deceleration due to air friction it would only have to peak 30 to 40 feet high at its mid rang trajectory. The first half of its flight it would be rising but decelerating upward, (in physics terms travelling upward but accelerating downward.) the second half of its flight still accelerating downward at the same rate it would start falling and reach a downward velocity of 9.8 m/s after that second second. Long story short mid range height doesn't have to be that high for a 2.5 second flight time at 1000f/s.
    Again, the data for a half-mile shot using a 155 grain fmj Blazer, one of the cheaper practice rounds out there. At 880 yards, with a time-of-flight of 4.125 seconds, a required elevation of 2345 inches, and a velocity at target of 428 feet per second, the round arrives with 63 foot-pounds of energy, the same amount delivered by a .25 auto at point-blank range.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Not enough brain power to understand half of this thread...or I need another red bull so I can focus..ugh!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Again, the data for a half-mile shot using a 155 grain fmj Blazer, one of the cheaper practice rounds out there. At 880 yards, with a time-of-flight of 4.125 seconds, a required elevation of 2345 inches, and a velocity at target of 428 feet per second, the round arrives with 63 foot-pounds of energy, the same amount delivered by a .25 auto at point-blank range.
    Mike - is the 2,345 inches elevation from an elevated platform shooting level or an apex of 2,345 inches shooting from a platform that is level with the target (house in this case)? Also, we are all assuming that the range and house are level with each other. I wonder if that is so.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    "Pierce a hole" Would that be for a nose ring or a tongue ring.

According to Sierra's Infinity ballistic calculator, a 180gr 40cal at 1000fps would have to be fired elevated at nearly a 45 degree angle to zero back down at 880yds, or half mile. It would arrive at nearly a 45 degree angle going down at about 520fps with close to 106 ft/lbs of energy. Time of flight is 3.9 seconds, and midrange height is about 700 inches. When zeroed at 25yards and shot level, it would drop about 200 feet at half mile. The ballistic coefficient and resulting wind drag alter the results from those of a vacuum.

A 165gr 40cal at 1130fps fired at nearly a 45 degree elevation would come down more steeply at half mile with about 90 ft/lbs of energy at about 500fps.

At these steep angles, the bullet would have to traverse more siding, sheathing, insulation, sheetrock, and bathroom tile. I'm surprised the bullet didn't bounce off the siding into the ground. Of course, down from our range, we've had people claim bullets to have done incredible things when they tried to close us down.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links