Bullet In Sink A Half-Mile Away

This is a discussion on Bullet In Sink A Half-Mile Away within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Bullet in sink might be from officer at Ohio range The Associated Press 12:41 PM Saturday, March 24, 2012 PORT CLINTON, Ohio Investigators have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bullet In Sink A Half-Mile Away

VIP Member

Bullet in sink might be from officer at Ohio range

The Associated Press
    12:41 PM Saturday, March 24, 2012
    PORT CLINTON, Ohio Investigators have determined a stray bullet that was fired into a northern Ohio home and found in a bathroom sink likely came from a police officer shooting at a range more than a half-mile away.
    A report from the Ottawa County Sheriff's Office shows a Port Clinton resident reported hearing a pop and a metallic sound Thursday afternoon before finding a copper-jacketed bullet in his bathroom sink. No injuries were reported.
    The Port Clinton News-Herald (Stray bullet hits home | Port Clinton News Herald | portclintonnewsherald.com ) says the report shows the .40-caliber round was similar to the ammunition officers were using at the shooting range that day. The bullet pierced a hole in the side of the home that faces toward a field and the woods that separate it from the shooting range.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Luck no body was hurt. Reminds me of a local range that was closed down due to a woman dining at a nearby bar and grill getting hit by a stray from the local range.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Bullet in sink might be from officer at Ohio range

The Associated Press
    12:41 PM Saturday, March 24, 2012
    PORT CLINTON, Ohio — Investigators have determined a stray bullet that was fired into a northern Ohio home and found in a bathroom sink likely came from a police officer shooting at a range more than a half-mile away.
    A report from the Ottawa County Sheriff's Office shows a Port Clinton resident reported hearing a pop and a metallic sound Thursday afternoon before finding a copper-jacketed bullet in his bathroom sink. No injuries were reported.
    The Port Clinton News-Herald (Stray bullet hits home | Port Clinton News Herald | portclintonnewsherald.com ) says the report shows the .40-caliber round was similar to the ammunition officers were using at the shooting range that day. The bullet pierced a hole in the side of the home that faces toward a field and the woods that separate it from the shooting range.
    Sounds like the Port Clinton city need to fix their range. Also sounds like someone shot upward into the air. A half mile
    is 2500 feet. The muzzle velocity of a .40 is about 1000 fps. On a horizontal line (and assuming an unrealistic steady velocity instead of deceleration due to friction) it would take 2.5 seconds to go 1/2 mile. I don't remember my basic physics formula for acceleration of gravity, but acceleration of gravity would drop that to the ground in under a second if not fired upward.

They need to look at the arrangement of their range or for someone who was firing in an irresponsible way.
    Guest1 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Definitely inclined to agree that someone probably fired into the air. I don't see a bullet going right through the woods like that, or a .40 having much chance of making it that far in a straight line anyway. Very not cool.

This is why High burms are a must,espically firing from the deck,up at your target.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    would have to see the bullet----any marks that indicate a ricochet?

otherwise it may be that one round got away from the shooter. high ly likely if they were practicing reloads and had one
    still in the chamber.
    but its the results that matter and was the shooter arrested for actions which endangered the public?

horrible writing that it 'pierced a hole' in the house....

----------------

silly me....police arrest citizens, they investigate each other
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Sounds like the Port Clinton city need to fix their range. Also sounds like someone shot upward into the air. A half mile
    is 2500 feet. The muzzle velocity of a .40 is about 1000 fps. On a horizontal line (and assuming an unrealistic steady velocity instead of deceleration due to friction) it would take 2.5 seconds to go 1/2 mile. I don't remember my basic physics formula for acceleration of gravity, but acceleration of gravity would drop that to the ground in under a second if not fired upward.

They need to look at the arrangement of their range or for someone who was firing in an irresponsible way.
    If it came from the range, someone definitely shot at an upward angle.
    Quick calculation of bullet drop of bullet traveling 1000 fps
    Vertical drop at 1000 ft is over 16 feet, at 2000 ft it is over 64 ft drop.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

VIP Member
    A Remington 155 grain JHP will experience a drop of about 155 feet at a half-mile range.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Half mile away? Unlikely. Last I checked a house has at least some siding, plywood, insulation, and drywall. I dont see how a .40 from half mile away would have enough zing left to penetrate a house.

Although, it may have been a Black Talon, in which case its totally possible.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Hopyard, the force due to gravity is 32 feet per second squared.

Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    If a bullet is traveling at 1000 fps how long will it take to go 2000 feet...Well some bullets are more pointy than others and some are shot out of a longer barrel,but some spin faster so I'm going to say 1/2 of the speed of light.
    On Topic they had a guy shooting at a home range here a few months back with a 308 rifle,behind the target was a thick area of Mesquite trees,shooter was firing from prone and bullets cleared the trees and struck 2 kids at a middle school trying out for the basketball team.The guy has been arrested.
    My local outdoor range has spent a lot of money raising the height of the berms,and are currently installing baffles and bullet stops to make sure no rounds ever leave the range
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I don't suppose "Ballistics" at the po-po dept would determine just who fired said shot?

Nawwww...that would be too easy.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    Half mile away? Unlikely. Last I checked a house has at least some siding, plywood, insulation, and drywall. I dont see how a .40 from half mile away would have enough zing left to penetrate a house.

Although, it may have been a Black Talon, in which case its totally possible.
    I just ran a work-up of a Blazer 155 grain FMJ, one of the cheaper practice rounds out there. At 880 yards, with a time-of-flight of 4.125 seconds, a required elevation of 2345 inches, and a velocity at target of 428 feet per second, the round arrives with 63 foot-pounds of energy, the same amount delivered by a .25 auto at point-blank range.
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    Or 9.8 meters per second squared. Feet never work well in these equations:)

Those who think the metric system never caught on here in the US never owned a 9mm pistol.

One thing to take into consideration is that maybe they screwed up when they calculated the distance. A bright writer I know for the school paper tried to figure out how far town A was from town B by using driving directions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links