$800 for Hi Power in 40sw a good deal?

This is a discussion on $800 for Hi Power in 40sw a good deal? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm in the market for a 40sw pistol to try something different than 9mm, 22 and 45. A LGS has a used Hi Power for ...

Thread: $800 for Hi Power in 40sw a good deal?

$800 for Hi Power in 40sw a good deal?

I'm in the market for a 40sw pistol to try something different than 9mm, 22 and 45. A LGS has a used Hi Power for $800 and I wonder if it is worth it. I don't know how many rounds have been fired through it and did not get the serial number to confirm manufacture date, but it looks barely used. What do you think? Seems like a good way to maybe get a revered pistol in a caliber I'm curious about.......
    Ruger SR9, SR9c, Mark III, SP101 .357, New Vaquero .357, Fusion 1911 Elite .45acp

2. Remove Ads

This may be a yarn, but I have heard of frames and slides cracking on HPs chambered for 40. I have owned a couple, but they were 9s. In either case, 800 sounds a bit steep for a used HP. JMO.

That don't sound too good. I'm sure there's other 40sw pistols that's better priced new and made very well. I was going to get a Sigma 40sw which is only $300 give or take a few dollars but my range's distributor can't get his hands on 'em. They're back ordered like crazy. My range officer though told me he can get a Sig Sauer P250c in 40sw for a special price which I have a few days to get it. I looked it up on the web and watched Youtubes and I'm very impressed. Since I already paid for the Sigma all I have to do is make up the difference.

You ought to look at it. It has some features you'll like.

EDIT: by the way, I have the Sigma 9 which I really liked. That's why I wanted to get the Sigma 40. :)

$800 seems high unless it's in new condition or has had some custom work done on it... for comparison, a new HP runs $875 from Bud's Gun Shop. Look on Gun Broker to find a wide variety and the occasional bargain

The Hi Power is a classic and remains a viable defensive tool, but you need to do somwe research so you know what you're buying if you go the used route. This is about the most definitive work on HPs you'll find on the 'net: Hi Powers and Handguns
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

You can get a used Glock for around 325.00
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Check CDNNinvestments.com they have new BHP's in .40 s&w for $700

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    "With great firepower comes great responsibility."

Thanks guys. I checked Gun Broker before posting and saw prices from 750-1200 but still thought the 800 might be a little high for used. I forgot about CDNN and will look. Luckily a guy I've met at the range a few times has a HP so I can try it this weekend, though I may be leaning more towards a Sig 229. The HP just appeals to me though so I need to shoot it and see if hammer bite and/or recoil is an issue for me. If I like it I'm assuming there might be beaver tails available to install?
    Ruger SR9, SR9c, Mark III, SP101 .357, New Vaquero .357, Fusion 1911 Elite .45acp

That is a bad deal...period. You can get it new for that if you look around. Plus, I don't think it's such a great gun to begin with. I;d look at the HKs at that price range, or Glocks if you can handle the shirt trigger. the Sigs are okay but not the Sigs of the 90s. I had a P228 (fantastic gun). Now, I don't buy Sigs and I may admittedly be overly harsh, but I feel the Kimber execs cheapened the brand and the quality. Still, the 229 (IF essentially unchanged) is going to be a good gun, and one I would take before the Browning.

If you are really drawn to the BHP design, but feel the price is too much, I would implore you to look at the CZ 75.

It is somewhat copied fromthe BHP, but has the option of DA or cocke and locked carry just like the BHP or 1911. And they are a classic, one of the best of the breed.

And you will have something different than the run of the mill polymer style guns carried by everybody else. And they are affordable.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I believe the CDNN guns are 9mm, and I have heard that FN (who actually manufactures the Hi Power) has stopped production of the 40S&W version. I don't know if people are paying a premium for the 40's now, but you could use the price on the CDNN guns as a negotiating point, keeping in mind you really want the 40 version. Just remember that an LGS always has some room to negotiate.

Aside from the very first released 40 BHP's not feeding 155 grain bullets reliably, there has never been a problem with them, certainly not cracking.

And as always, I can't believe people are recommending a polymer gun to someone who asked about a BHP. Why not suggest he get a revolver?

Links