Tec-9 or a Shottie??? Hmmm...

This is a discussion on Tec-9 or a Shottie??? Hmmm... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What to buy....... What to buy...? I'm either going to go with a used Remington 870 Express Mag ($250) that comes with a pistol-style foregrip ...

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

What to buy....... What to buy...?

I'm either going to go with a used Remington 870 Express Mag ($250) that comes with a pistol-style foregrip and a collapsable stock. Or..... a lightly used Tec-9 for the same price. I've always liked those little guys but I'm leaning towards the shottie since I can actually use it for home defense in better capacity than a '9.

Your thoughts, ladies and gents?
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Assistant Administrator
    Personally I would not give house room to a Tec-9!!

Fun looking guns but not IMO in the same category as the reliable and useful 870. No offence meant to anyone who has one but - they look to be ''wannabee'' pieces This would be an apples and oranges decision for me!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

870 for home defense, Tec-9 for a door-stop.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    870 hands down.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

JD
    Administrator
    Are you going to be cruising the "Hood" drinking your gin and juice? Just kidding, but really why buy a tec 9, I'd rather have a Glock with a 17 round mag, get the 870.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Yo! Yo! Yo! Don't make me pull my Tec-9, dawg!

Need I say more? Get the 870, it is a heck of a lot more accurate, dependable, and better made than the Tec-9. If you want a 9mm (other than a pistol) for self defense look into some of the better made carbines.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Haha this is what I figured, but I was wondering if maybe it would have been just too good and cheap of a buy to pass up.

870 coming right up! I take it I can find the manual at the Remington website, correct?
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Assistant Administrator
    Haven't checked on Rem site but this file should help .............

http://stevespages.com/pdf/remington_870.pdf
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

the 870...

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Here ya go, home-skillet...

Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    870 hands down. That is if you want something reliable.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    What to buy....... What to buy...?

I'm either going to go with a used Remington 870 Express Mag ($250) that comes with a pistol-style foregrip and a collapsable stock. Or..... a lightly used Tec-9 for the same price. I've always liked those little guys but I'm leaning towards the shottie since I can actually use it for home defense in better capacity than a '9.

Your thoughts, ladies and gents?
    Did you watch the movie "ELEPHANT" too many times ??? The Tec-Nine is gangsta gun, worthless for practical use, and frankly, if I saw someone with one, I'd lose respect for them quickly. Owning an NFA Mac-10 or 11 would impress me more, but your not here to impress me or anyone else.

SHOTTIE..............that's a term that I refuse to use. It's juvenile. I would rather here someone say........."Get the hammer out" or "Wheres the scatter gun?"

No offense, but your tone is akin to an 18 year old playing online HALO or some other computer based military SOF wannabee game. Leave the "HOOD" terms to the ................well, HOODS !!

For $250 dollars you'll never be uspset that you purchased a Rem 870. As for the folding stock...................happy camping with OO Buck loads and that shoulder of yours Since your getting such a good deal on the 870, I would suggest spending the money on the Knoxx Industries "Spec Ops" stock with the "Power Pak" for the 870. It's going to take most of the recoil out of the 870 on your shoulder, allow you to keep your shots on target more easily, and generally will allow you to fire 100's of rounds in a day without having to ice your shoulder down at night. With the "Power Pak" and "Height Cheek pad" for another $50, you'll have 6 shot shells right at your disposal on the stock. It's easy to combat and tactical reload with the pistol grip and reaching under to the stock, securing your shot shell, then placing into the carriage into the tube.

I will never own another 870 without the Knoxx Industries "Spec Ops" stock. It's not just another M4 style retractable stock. It's a recoild reducing spring loaded system that is like fireing a .223, not a fully charged OO Buck load. You'll like it, it performs well, and it will improve your shot place with practice.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

LOL Lowflyer!!! Love the pic of it and the website you got it from. haaha "Noyce yo."

And Skygod... little quick to judge, sir? Calm down, my man. It's just a term. haha
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review

Links