Taught my Daughter to shoot today

This is a discussion on Taught my Daughter to shoot today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Never thought this day would happen. My Daughter is 8 1/2 years old and scared of most everything. Just two weeks ago, I came back ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Taught my Daughter to shoot today

Taught my Daughter to shoot today

Never thought this day would happen. My Daughter is 8 1/2 years old and scared of most everything.

Just two weeks ago, I came back from shooting and she said she wanted to go some time. Guess a girl in her 2nd grade class goes with her father.

She has off school for spring break this week and thursday is shooting day. Got home from work this morning, loaded up the jeep then we headed to walmart. Picked her up some pink shooting glasses and some ear protection.

Got to the range, set the target.stand up about 10 feet away, then went to the bench and taught her about the 4 safety rules which she followed really well. We were the only ones in that range so that was nice. 50 yard pistol range.

Just to get her used to something, I had her start out with a little CO2 BB pistol. She did really well with it so we moved on to the .22lr, the exact same .22lr that my Uncle taught me how to shoot with when I was 10 years old, now I'm 37. 1961 Seneca Green Remington Nylon 66. Still works great. She liked shooting that better thn the BB pistol. The only problem was that the stock was too long. Told her we'd have to get her a .22 rifle that fits her.

Now I just have to wait for my other two kids to get older.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Cool stuff. It's great getting your kids going. Mine love it as well.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Great! Do I hear a Cricket? How 'bout a telescoping stock on a 10/22?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    That's awesome! Good to teach your children gun safety while they are young so they don't develop bad habits :D
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

My hat's off to you AND your daughter...That's some very special bonding that will never be experienced by many. My Granddaughter will be 3 on June 17th. I'm taking her to the range for the first time and will begin aclimatizing her to little pops and big pops, the purpose of the ear protections and how it can keep the "pops" from being loud, and finally I too will let her shoot a BB pistol (with assistance of course)...Hopefully by the end of the summer I can have her on a .22........JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

My daughter is seven. She shoots well. She told me she wants to out shoot the boys.

My kids are grown, but we still go shoot! Life long quality time!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Some of my fondest memories are of learning to shoot with my dad. I learned on a pellet rifle in our basement as well as the occasional bb gun in cub scouts and once I got the fundamentals and the safety rules down I got to move up to the .22 at the real range. I still have that pellet rifle and shoot it occasionally.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Yea baby, nothing like teaching our young how to shoot.

I have taught mine and now have 2 grandkids 6 months and almost 3 yrs, I know I have to wait a bit longer, but I hope to have them shooting
    Burns likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy90 View Post
    Some of my fondest memories are of learning to shoot with my dad. I learned on a pellet rifle in our basement as well as the occasional bb gun in cub scouts and once I got the fundamentals and the safety rules down I got to move up to the .22 at the real range. I still have that pellet rifle and shoot it occasionally.
    I agree, my dad taught me how to shoot first with a BB gun when I was very young. I still remember the day he went out and bought one for me, my mom didn't enjoy it at first but it was an awesome way to bond and I will never forget it. He was also extremely impressed with my accuracy :D
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Bravo Zulu Daddy! Memories that BOTH of ya'll withh have for a lifetime!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Watch for the Ruger 10/22 to go on sale. I see one in your future. Then you can teach her mag changes. both my kids ( now in HS ) learned to shoot on my 10/22.

AWESOME!

My daughter is almost 9 and begs me to take her shooting. She was shooting her .22 crickett when she was 7, and recently shot my .223 for her first time. When we go she always dresses in as much pink as possible, (including the pink shooting glasses) so it matches the pink stock on the Crickett.

Daddy's little girls - they will always will be daddy's little girls even when they grow up! We need to teach them right from the start, including how to shoot safely!

2011-07-05 09.58.41.jpg
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Great story.. I started my daughter out last year when she was also 8. (she's 9 now) She has not moved beyond shooting the Walther P22, though. The larger calibers scare her because of the noise. I was thinking about picking up that Ruger SR22 pistol, though. I think she'd like that better and it seems more reliable from what I've heard.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Awesome! I can't wait to teach my daughter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links