Combat shotgun for when the zombies arrive

This is a discussion on Combat shotgun for when the zombies arrive within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I was thinking I am underarmed for not having a reliable combat shotgun. I have seen some Saigas and do like them but wanted ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Combat shotgun for when the zombies arrive

So I was thinking I am underarmed for not having a reliable combat shotgun. I have seen some Saigas and do like them but wanted to see what my options were. I prefer a barrel that isn't too long and semi-auto, of course. I also want a gun that can shoot combat loads (slugs) and buckshot. Reliability is very very important. A folding stock would be nice so I can carry it in a bag, but it may not be easy to get so fixed is fine.

What are my options? Help this shotgun newbie out please. When the zombies arrive, I need this not just for them but for the disenchanted Tea Party type and unbalanced extreme Lefties. I'll have plenty of handguns and machetes. I may even have a broad sword and a machete or two by then...never know when stealth is needed. Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry, I posted this in the wrong forum. Mods, please feel free to move it to the Combat Shotgun/Rifles forum.

How about a nice Mossberg 500? Relatively inexpensive ($200), 7 round mag, robust design. I prefer the standard stock for shooting comfort and to retain the ability to deliver a nice butt-stroke to some deserving trespasser, but my brother has the same model all tricked out with folding stock, pistol grip forearm, etc. I also don't subscribe to the "wait till they hear you rack it and scare 'em" philosophy. Mine is stoked with two 00 buckshots up front, two slugs, and three more 00's. The light has a pressure pad.I dremmelled out the forearm for the pad and then use a drop of hot glue to keep it in place. Just permanent enough, but pretty easy to pry off if need be. If I could only have one weapon, this is it.

VIP Member
    I like the Saiga 12

Sorry I gotta get my camera out and get you a photo but it is made just like an AK only 12 gauge or 20 gauge.
    Piston operated and had a detachable magazine.

First of all, aside from the Saiga, you may have trouble finding a semi-auto shotgun that can sport a folding stock. A lot of the semi's have part of the recoil system that extends into the buttstock, and so you won't be able to put a folding stock on.

I think one of the better bangs for the buck in this area is the Mossberg 930 SPX. I have one, and so far through probably 800-1000 rounds it has been reliable, with high or low brass target loads, buckshot and slugs. The sights on this model are pretty good, and the rear LPA sight is adjustable for windage and elevation. You just need to make sure the front sight isn't canted when you buy it. 7+1 capacity and an 18.5" barrel, doesn't hurt either, and I like the location of the safety on Mossberg shotguns.

Give them a look, new they can be found for around or under $600, which is significantly less than the FN or Benelli models, and the sights are a big advantage over basic semi-auto models.
    WHEC724, mr.stuart and marcclarke like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    You may want to check out the Remington 11-87P. It is the police version of their 11-87 shotgun. You may also wish to check out the Beretta 1201 or the Benelli line of police shotguns. Personally since you want it for home and personal defense my advice would be to try to keep things simple and check out the pump action shotguns. In the police line you have the Mossberg 500 series as well as the Remington 870P. Also the sporting versions of each are available with shorter barrels just for this purpose. There are so many out there that choosing one may be difficult. At home I was lucky enough to locate 2 Remington 870 Wingmasters with 20 inch barrels with rifle sights. One other advantage the pump action may have is it is more forgiving with light loads that may not fuction well in semi-auto shotguns. Good luck in finding the one that works for you.

If you get a pump gun you need to get used to it. A semi-auto like the Moss 930 SPX is a very nice gun with a point and shoot. Aiming with a pump especially when the zombies are coming fast and furious may trip you up. I can shoot a pump just fine but can stay on target better with a semi. Go shoot doubles skeet and see witch one is faster.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I like the Saiga 12

Sorry I gotta get my camera out and get you a photo but it is made just like an AK only 12 gauge or 20 gauge.
    Piston operated and had a detachable magazine.
    Im with Mrbuckwheat on the saiga 12 ga

Oh man, my head is full. The Saigas look really good. The folding stock is not a must. I have used a pump at the skeet field and I don't stay on target very well with them. It's just me, of course....my buddy shoots them incredibly well.

So I will start doing more and more research on the Saigas and the Remingtons, Mossbergs, etc. Please keep the comments coming...info and knowledge from the forum is how many of us learn and do things the right way the first time. I did not think about the location of the safety...I do like that on the Mossberg.

Mossberg 500, sling, 280 lumen tac lite, side saddle, Butler Creek folding stock, Vang Comp aluminum safety. Run it until you can rock and roll.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I tried a folding stock on my 870 Express and was very unhappy with it. I switched over to the Knoxx Recoil Reducing AR style stock and have thoroughly enjoyed it.

The only problem with buying one of these HD shotguns is you'll want to keep buying stuff for them.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I'd recommend the 20 gauge Saiga

The lightness and low-recoil makes a huge difference if you're running in terror.

(Again, ET is more likely than zombies, simple math proclaims. And the 7.62x51 is the best common round vs. ET.)
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

VIP Member
    I don't know of any semi-auto other than Saiga that is going to fit what your looking for. Now if you want to go with a pump, the 870 or Mossberg 500 would work.
    sid1 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Rem 870 12 ga here, 18-1/2" bbl, 6 round tube and another 5 on the adjustable stock with pistol grip, adjustable stock so it fits everyone in the house. Loaded up with 00. Parkarized fininsh for durability. I think it was around $450 a couple years ago. Nice solid shotgun and every accessory you could want will can be found for it.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Good info on this thread. I am also in the market for a 12ga. A question I have is about Canadas laws pertaining to bringing a shotgun across thier borders. I know we can't bring in handguns but would like to armed going thru to Alaska. I also like the idea of a a semi auto I think its easy to panic and forget to rack a round when a bear is charging.

Rich

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    Im with Mrbuckwheat on the saiga 12 ga

Zombies have not a chance!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links