recommendations for a 9mm rifle.

This is a discussion on recommendations for a 9mm rifle. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by hihosilver this is just for fun, plus I have alot of 9mm so would be nice to have a rifle just in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: recommendations for a 9mm rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by hihosilver View Post
    this is just for fun, plus I have alot of 9mm so would be nice to have a rifle just in case. I meant to type the Beretta Storm instead of the Ruger storm. I will check out the Keltec. I just want something I can slap a red dot on and have fun with. Is the cx storm out of production?
    As you wrote it is just for fun, I would once again second the Hi Point. If you have other defensive rifles and just want a fun plinker the Hi Point is not only inexpensive but it is also very accurate for its price range. With a plethora of 9mm ammo you can shoot a rifle on the cheap and its a great trainer for new shooters. If someone drops or does damage to your Hi Point no big deal. It was inexpensive, won't win a beauty contest and has a no questions asked lifetime warranty.

Below is my write up of my Hi Point.

Kudos to Hi Point
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

2. Remove Ads

I don't quite understand the concept of a 9mm "plinker." If you want an inexpensive "plinker," then get a .22.

If you want a defensive rifle, then get something in a real rifle caliber (unless you are recoil sensitive).

The only other way a pistol caliber carbine makes any sense to me at all, is if it shares magazines with your primary pistol...and even then, I'd rather have a real rifle.

JMHO. YMMV.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I don't quite understand the concept of a 9mm "plinker." If you want an inexpensive "plinker," then get a .22.

If you want a defensive rifle, then get something in a real rifle caliber (unless you are recoil sensitive).

The only other way a pistol caliber carbine makes any sense to me at all, is if it shares magazines with your primary pistol...and even then, I'd rather have a real rifle.

JMHO. YMMV.
    +1
    I currently have two pistol caliber carbines, 9mm & 45LC. Both are companions to sidearms. Neither I would consider "plinkers".

The Ruger PC9 is my wife's "Go-to" HD weapon of choice. She has a very hard time with the shotgun so the almost non-existent recoil of the 9mm is a blessing. The other benefit is that it shares magazines with my P89 which is my primary HD weapon. (after two shoulder surgeries, Dr told me no shotgun)
    The 45LC carbine is more for Cowboy action shooting than anything and is way to expensive to shoot to be considered a "plinker". It does do a real number on coyote though! :~}

If you do a search, I'm sure you'll find more than one thread on this subject.
    For just fun shooting without spending a fortune, the HiPoint carbine will do the job well.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    For just fun shooting without spending a fortune, the HiPoint carbine will do the job well.
    exactly
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Keltec Sub 2000

I have a Ruger PC9, and a Marlin Camp carbine. Both are great guns for pistol calibers. I like the Sub2000 and the new EMF "Just Right Carbine". Not sure why you don't like the AR, but for the price you could do a good combo of .223 and 9 on the same lower and have two rifles for different occasions.

Or, you could go to LD Historical Arms and get a Sten or Sterling or some other parts kit gun made up. I think they even have semi auto S&W 76s available. ldtacticalarms.com
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links