Difference between a "starter" ar15 and any other.

This is a discussion on Difference between a "starter" ar15 and any other. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was wonderin if someone could help me with a question I have. Ive owned firearms all my life mostly for hunting purposes but a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Difference between a "starter" ar15 and any other.

Difference between a "starter" ar15 and any other.

I was wonderin if someone could help me with a question I have. Ive owned firearms all my life mostly for hunting purposes but a few handguns as well. Ive recently found myself being swept up in the ar15 craze. Im new to ars but have learned a lot from this forum and others like it, I just had one question what is the difference between a "starter" ar and any other? My understanding is that all ars are basically the same its just a matter of quality and bells and whistles. What makes an ar a "starter" ar? Thank you for the help.

2. Remove Ads

I am glad you asked this question and am eager to see the answers.
    (2Co 11:3 KJV) But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

Oh, Jon....calling Jon.

Here is a good place to start reading up on the point that you raise:

"Oh No! I bought a BM/RRA/Stag before I knew better!" - M4Carbine.net Forums

And to add more to it the AR/M4 platform is moving to a gas piston system.
    AR is like a Harley you will almost never run out of ways to trick it out and can go broke doing so.
    After spending a lot of cash you sometimes figure out you really had no use for half the toys you added any way.
    Starter is just that the basic out of the box it will shot and many would be just fine with it , then the fun starts 20 bucks here 50 there, ect.

sgb
    A starter AR IMHO would generally be one assembled from low cost lower quality parts to a budget price point. Generally meant for the occasional range and lite sporting use crowd.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

OR...just buy once, cry once. My ultra-used Colt Frankenstein (70's lower/80's upper/new barrel) cost a few hundred more than a new (insert manufacturer). It's popped every time I've squeezed, now in the neighborhood of 2K rounds.

"Starter" is relative, too. I'm getting my first AR and I'm building it myself with a BCM upper and BCG, and a PSA lower and parts kit, and one of those nifty Geissele SSA triggers.

I guess for someone who just wants to shoot a few hundred rounds a year, a starter AR would be one without all of the mil-spec components....pretty much the M&P 15 Sport model. But once you have that, you're addicted, so I'm skipping the first part, and building a rifle that should be pretty good from the get go.

VIP Member
    Milspec. The difference is in the parts made to make the gun. The barrel steel, the testing and so on. There is a list stickied up top listing AR manufactures and the quality of their parts and manufacturing processes.

But the short answer is that quality ARs are made to military specs and the light duty guns aren't.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    A starter AR is like your first car. Not the best in the world but it serves the function to get you from point A to point B.

Some AR's will only go so far in regards to fit, finish and accuracy no matter what you do to them so you have to upgrade to a "better" model. There is always something better to do to improve accuracy, reliability or whatever it is you want to improve.

With the right rail system you can add whatever you want to an AR so it is not just about accessories. The upper is the meat of the rifle. Receiver, internals, barrel and sights will determine what the rifle can do so this is where the improvements or "making it better" come into play.

I normally have my rifles built by Rifle Dynamics so I can choose what goes where and I am assured of a quality build with quality parts.

The visible laser mounted in this pic was given to me so I put it on for the kids to play with it does not stay on the rifle.

This rifle has upper end parts and is put together right.

Fail Zero Extreme Kit
    Upper Receiver
    BCG
    Bolt
    Charging handle
    Hammer
    (All parts listed are coated in Nickel Boron so no lube is required. Intervals between cleanings can go as long as 5000 rounds)
    Knight URX Rifle length rail system over a carbine length gas system. This rail also replaces the barrel nut so the barrel is completely free floated.
    Knight BUIS front and rear
    Rifle Dymanics Lower and internals
    Redi Mag (Thanks Jon)
    Surefire VFG light
    Holosight for now again put on for the kids to shoot the rifle. I also use Aimpoint T-1's, Burris XTR, Leupold CQ/T.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Still love my Ranch Rifle. Hell, I'll probably die holding it. I spent may a years carrying any variant of an AR and also the MP5 for CQB (before the M4 craze). Still love my Ranch Rifle. It will take a lot more dirt and grime.

Any one of these firearms in the hands of a competent shooter are more than adequate.

Don't get caught up in the craze to add everything that is sold to the weapon. At the end of the day, the lighter the weapon, the more ammo you can hump.

Semper Fi,

VIP Member
    Any one of these firearms in the hands of a competent shooter are more than adequate.

Absolutely true. It is the guy pulling the trigger that matters.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Wellarmeddad: Welcome to the forum!!! (I like your screen-name)

Not much significant to add here, other than to suggest some questions to ask yourself: What do I want this rifle for? (I mean, other than the fact that you just simply WANT it ) Will it be to: (a) take to the range occassionally? (b) To teach the kids to shoot? (c) Scare away your daughters boyfriends? (d) Defend your family as you bug out during social unrest/collapse?? If a, b, or c, you can probably get by with an entry level AR and be fine... if you envision and are planning on "d", well then you'd better buy quality. boyfriends.jpg
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I don't see any point in going with a cheap build as a "starter" AR specifically. If it's a weekend plinker, and that's all it will ever be, then fine, go ahead and cheap out. You'll still be happy. If by "starter" you mean simply your first one, and you want to learn the platform and so on, then why would you go with a cheaper gun made of lesser quality parts? Just get a Colt, or PSA, or Spikes, or any of the others that is actually made to mil-specs and will hold up to harsh use. They don't cost much more, and you won't find yourself in a position later where you feel the need to sell that "starter" rifle that was really just inferior for your purposes.

I have the stag model 2. And so far its been totaly reliable. Yes its your basic ar but it seems to be built really well. Ive added the basic necceites sling optic rail and going to get a tac light laser combo. Thats about it other than more mags and lots of ammo. For when shtf and the zombies come lol.

I moved on from the AR/M4 as I had know it for a long time. You can buy a fine weapon out of the box that will do everything these so called builds will do for less.
    The gas piston is the way to go . You will in time see the Military switching to it. Even the base level of this weapon is outstanding. If you have the cash and want more they offer it.
    And your AR toy collection fit right on the rail system.
    Huldra » Rifles » Huldra Mark IV 5.56 Carbine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links