Need feedback on Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 Special

This is a discussion on Need feedback on Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 Special within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm considering this for a CCW. I like the caliber, big and slow. Can anyone give me an idea on what to expect out of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Need feedback on Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 Special

Need feedback on Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 Special

I'm considering this for a CCW. I like the caliber, big and slow. Can anyone give me an idea on what to expect out of the newer models as far as quality? Are the older models better? Is the Taurus a better option? Do factory grips allow speed loader use easily?
    RIP Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

I have a friend has the Taurus model,it's a handfull
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Shot my friend's Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 special last summer. Long hard trigger pull and not very accurate. Recoil wasn't as bad as I had though it would be. This was an older model though, maybe from the 80's or 90's.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Dukalmighty,
    How'd he like it? I'd bet the cylinder walls are thicker on the Taurus.One thing I'm apprehensive about on the Charter Arms is the thin cylinder.
    Aaron,
    That can be smoothed up. How was quality?
    RIP Jeff Cooper

I have a 2010 vintage Bulldog and it is a remarkable little gun. Much lighter than my 66-1 2.5" and about the same recoil as my 357. Trigger on mine is not bad in DA and very good in SA.

Very easy to carry with a great cartridge.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

The quality seemed real good.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

I tried one years ago. I did't like the recoil, nor the width. But, that is the problem with revolvers. For me, 1911 is the way to go. Makes the same size hole, and has more shots. But, that is just my opinion. I know a few who just love their Bulldogs.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk

I have an old school Charter Bulldog and it's good quality, but it is ammo sensitive. Some loads it shoots like a shotgun. With ammo it likes it's plenty accurate for SD. I think it's better quality than the newer Charters. I actually think the Taurus is better than the new Charters too. Mine shoots Federal LSWCHP, Glaser, and Magsafe good and hates Gold Dot.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I also have an older one. I had the hammer bobbed and an action job done at the same time. I also installed Crimson Trace grip panels. It's not my EDC, but my house gun. It shoots well and is quite accurate for what it is. Recoil is no problem. I keep the loads to factory specs, since it is a light gun and I don't think it would hold up well to constant battering with hot loads. I can't say how the newer ones are or the Taurus.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Appreciate the feedback guys. Gonna find a Taurus to compare the two. I'd sacrifice weight for durability if it came down to it...
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Same but not the same... love my Charter Arms .40 Pitbull DA/SA Revolver. No moon clips required. Been to the Range x's 3 with it & shoots great!
    USMC/Army Ret, NRA/TSRA/TxCCA/USCCA/TX CHL; CA .40 Pitbull Revolver, XD40sc, PPQ40, Stoeger Cougar 8040F, Taurus PT745 Pro/PT140 Pro/TCP738FS, EMP9, M&P9c, G4G30 & G4G19 both w/TruGlo TFOs, Bersa BP9cc, KelTec PF9, 12 ga Mossberg 500 JIC Cruiser

I have two old models - '70s vintage. The 3" model is excellent, the 4" with shrouded barrel, sucks. If I were in "revolver carry mode" i'd carry the 3" now that speed strips are available in .44. I've read that the newest gen Charters are good. Who knows?....
    When seconds count, help is minutes away!

Obiwan,
    On the older models, are the cylinder walls thin like newer model?I know the 44 special has a low chamber pressure but that still bothers me. Read reviews and both get great feedback. Maybe I'm being too picky. What don't you like about 4 inch model?
    RIP Jeff Cooper

I've seen a lot of these things that have been shaken to pieces....rattly and noisy. Weird thing is, you never hear anyone complaining about them

I had a recent production Bulldog Pug stainless DAO 2 1/2" version for a while. It was a fun little revolver. A friend talked me out of it after shooting an IDPA BUG match with it. For what it is, it is a good revolver. Recoil was substantial, but not uncontrollable with my 240 grain handloads. It was accurate for its intended purpose and the trigger was decent. I miss it and will eventually probably get another unless Ruger fulfills my dream by making a SP101 with a larger cylinder window and a 5 shot .44 Special cylinder. The .44 Special is a great cartridge, but unless one is a handloader, it is expensive and hard to find. If one is a handloader, especially with cast bullets, it is cheap to shoot. I would buy a Charter Arms of current vintage before I would buy any Taurus, but YMMV.
    45ACP4ever likes this.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links