Defensive Carry banner

KEL TEC PF-9 question

4K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  Oldpsufan 
#1 ·
Has anyone had to return a firearm to kelt-tec? Do they do refunds or am I basically screwed? I bought a PF-9 had ejection issues sent it back. Replaced the slide and barrel and for some reason polished the feed ramp. Got the pistol back and fired it today to find out its still having the same problem. I know theres been a ton of people that have had great luck with kel-tec and even more specifically PF-9, I envy you people. Please let me know if anyone has had to return a firearm and let me know what happened.

#2 ·
Mine was the biggest POS ever. Never attempted to return it because I knew I would never trust the piece of junk.

#3 ·
They normally do very good work with repairs and warranty work, on the few occasions I've needed to send guns there for customers. They can also make you a new receiver, with your original serial # as a replacement. If you bug CS, you might get them to give you an all new gun.

Reactions: oneshot
#6 ·
Not limp wristing it. Ive shot plenty of guns and have never had a limp wristing problem. Plus I had 2 other people fire this weapon as well today, all with the same problems.

#8 ·
Mine went back due to the mag release, (which they had a recall) , and they never said what they found or why they did what they did..... but they stuck the same barrel in a new gun, and put the old serial number on it.... and it's been fine since then.

I'ld give them another shot at it. My only complaint would be how long they had it.

Don't limp wrist it, get ahold of it like you mean it.

#9 ·
Go the KTOG.Org - Kel-Tec Owners Group and to the PF9 forum. Do a search for the double extractor mod that many people have said resolves their FTE problems. Call Keltec CS and tell them you are having problems, they send you a new extractor and screw. Double up on the extractor and you may or may not be able to use the same screw. If not you can go to a hardware store and buy a slightly longer one and trim it down to fit and work. Again like I said many people that have had extraction or ejection issues have performed this simple and inexpensive mod and it has resolved their problem. I hope this helps. God Bless :smile:

Here is the link to save you some time:
False hope or a real fix? - KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum

#10 ·
I had to return my PF9 to Kel-Tec once for failure to eject issues. When I got it back it worked better but still not good enough for me to trust it for EDC. To my knowledge, Kel-Tec does not do refunds but they will keep trying to make you happy up to replacing your firearm from what I hear. Truth is I got tired of buying ammo to test the thing. And I didn't like shooting it anyway. It now has a semi-permanent place in a gun lock box in my car as a bug-out gun. Life is too short to waste it trying to make something work that just doesn't want to.

#12 ·
I sold mine on with a disclaimer to the buyer and took a $100 loss. Range time, ammo time and down time shipping to/from meant something to me. I'm forever done with the brand. Truth be told, I bought it used from a seller who never disclaimed it was a jam o matic. So another negative, I no longer trust people. Seller even claimed he never had an issue with it (lie). Good luck to you sir.

#14 ·
go over to ktog to read the problems and how to fix this problem. last summer i picked up a two owner problem child pf9 from mousegunner. the gun had many problem and i need something (summer gun project) to play around with. this week i have just gotten the gun running 100%. i have replaced every part on the gun with parts from kel tec. send the slide and barrel in for replacement. new grip, new springs, the list goes on. the only part that was not replaced was the frame. i did the f&b on the gun twice. i dropped in the new "pops" trigger, one of the best thing i have seen for a pf9. but, this week i took the gun out and 200 rounds later,,, no problems (over 1,800 rounds in the gun). that was with four different brands and types of ammo. first i would try some of the fixs that the ktog shows, if that does not work send her back. kel tec will make it right, free as long as you have your receipt for the gun. at one time they did not care if you got the gun used,, but now they do. but they will still mail out free part to any body. but i can not see them doing this much longer. it seem that they are ahving a run of problems with their pistols. sometimes low price guns have low price parts,, and low price parts will break. all in all the price of a pf9 makes it one of the best deal going in a small 9mm.

#16 ·
I keep my PF9 around to let students fire it. It is a great tool for demonstrating and reacting to failures to eject, failures to feed, and the effects of micro 9 recoil. I let them run a mag through it, and have yet to have anyone want to re-load and continue with it.

#17 ·
The pf9 does feel cheap.
And to be honest, I'm not surprised to hear that some owners have problems with theirs.
But my hard chrome version has been absolutely 100% through hundreds of rounds.
Not a big fan of the trigger, but with some practice, I've learned to shoot well with it.
Light, easy to conceal...I have no regrets at all.
If you have the time & patience, give Kel Tec a chance to get yours running right.

#18 ·
Happy with PF-9

I for one have to disagree. I shot the PF-11, didn't like it a bit. About a year after the PF-9 came out, a gun dealer talked me into it, partly price, partly good sales technique, plus it fit my hand, and I LOVE IT! I've had it in for repair twice. I live 3 miles from KelTec, so I drop in, they fix it, give it back and I'm without my gun for about 30minutes. First failure was bad ammo (blew up in chamber). They fixed at no cost, and I was 100% up front with them about the cause. Second issue was after rapid fire of +P ammo, chunked the rail pin, and could have been a remaining symptom of problem 1. Each time, they worked through it all, test fired and were the best people to work with. Their customer service is better than any of the people that have tried to sell me high margin items (wedding ring, car, TV, etc.) and they're repairing a gun that was cheap in cost to begin with!
Disclaimer... They are NOT S&W, Kahr, Springfield or Sig, but you're not paying as much either. I carry mine every day and would be 100% confident that it will get me out of any jam. I've also shot the KSG, RFB and Sub2000 and plan on getting myself one of each once the funds are available!

#19 ·
My buddy has a pf9 and has had problems with the slide not seating properly when trying to rack a round. I was looking at the pf9 very seriously and did a bunch of research on them. What turned me away from them is that about 50% of the time you might have a good gun with no problems. The other 50% you have to return it multiple times to get it fixed. Good luck with getting it fixed though.

Reactions: MJB_17
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.