Larger LCR Possible?

Larger LCR Possible?

This is a discussion on Larger LCR Possible? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi guys. I'm a complete newbie to the gun community. As such, I've been doing a LOT of research and the level of engineering and ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By tkruf
  • 1 Post By Nutrodoc
  • 1 Post By JoJoGunn

Thread: Larger LCR Possible?

Larger LCR Possible?

Hi guys. I'm a complete newbie to the gun community. As such, I've been doing a LOT of research and the level of engineering and design that goes into firearms continues to astound me. Despite my young age, I find myself inexplicably drawn to revolvers. The Ruger LCR in .357 catches my eye as a possible concealed carry option.

In researching the LCR, I was amazed how Ruger was able to infuse new life into the proven design of the snubnose. The use of polymer housing and gel inserts has enabled a lighter-weight revolver that still shoots well. This led me to start thinking about whether Ruger may try to bring the LCR into a larger frame (ie. SP101 or GP100). I know that their existing models perform very well but I'm always excited to see innovation.

So what do you guys think? I know many of you know much more about engineering and firearms than I do. Were you guys shocked when the LCR first released? Do you think it likely that we will see a larger version of the LCR down the road? If not, please feel free to explain.

DC
    They could name it the KOLNSCR (kind of lightweight not so compact revolver)

Joking aside, if I go for a larger revolver I'd want an all metal design...not that I don't love my LCR.

So I guess my answer is no.

I was looking into getting an LCR for a family member. Then I held the thing.... It's like... a rolling pin they designed backwards... or a revolver they designed for a double stack mag lol... SP101 and GP100 are not small revolvers. I'm still looking around now. Any awesome suggestions are welcome.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

The lcr is one of the best revolvers I have ever owned.

The lcr is a nice platform, my wife has one that I swipe sometimes. Smith has the whole light weight selection for most frame sizes. They may try to compete with that, BUT with how popular the lcr is and the new 327 cal in the sp I don't think they need to make them bigger right now.

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Love all three of mine. Don't know how well a larger version will do.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I shot an LCR for the first time Friday and I'm in love. I truly shoot this little critter more accurately than my G17. I have an SP101. I like it, but I like the LCR more. My wife doesn't have much hand strength. It takes a lot of effort for her to pull the SP101 trigger more than a couple of times. Friday, she put a box of ammo through the LCR with no problems. Mine is a .38 Special (the 101 is a .357 magnum) and what really surprised me is the low recoil on such a light revolver. I think the design and the Hough grip makes the difference. It's really a great little gun.
    JoJoGunn likes this.

I bought my wife the LCR in .357 magnum primarily for it to be carried concealed. She loves it (well and loves me too for getting it for her but I digress). I love the trigger pull, the feel and the overall ease to conceal it. Recoil can be a bit with the .357 but not so that it cannot be handled.

I really don't think a larger LCR would be necessary simply because LCR stands for Light Conceal Revolver or something like that. It is designed to be an easily concealed weapon. Want something bigger, the SP-101 would more than likely fill that spot.
    rickohio likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

The LCR is awesome, I don't think I'll ever regret getting one. Seeing the polymer setup in a larger frame would be interesting, though I do question whether there is much of a market for something like that. Maybe the 3" steel Rugers could get such a frame and find an audience, but much bigger than that and I suspect your average buyer is specifically looking for a steel framed gun.

I just wonder if similar doubt was placed on Ruger prior to releasing the LCR?

The biggest hurdle, I think, would be that a larger LCR (I'm using this terminology with the knowledge that it doesn't fit due to the "C" standing for Compact) would probably be too muzzle-heavy. But it would be intriguing to see prototypes that Ruger has probably been working on. The LCR in .357 has proven that the platform can handle a very powerful caliber.

What do you guys think of the Rhino design? Do you think Ruger or S&W could adapt its innovation but improve its overall engineering?

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by D1omedes View Post
    ...Were you guys shocked when the LCR first released?...
    Yes I was shocked that it was Ruger that put out a 'plastic' revolver first. When I first saw it in a magazine I thought it was the weirdest thing I'd ever seen and thought "why in the world did they do that?".

I was actually expecting them to come out with their own alloy frame light weight revolver (but all metal). But now I love my very own LCR 38Sp.
    Thank you Taurus!
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Since I have enough steel-framed snubs on hand, really don't like plastic for use as a component in firearms production, and disliked the LCR's trigger action, the Ruger plastic revolvers are good for someone else to own.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Sponsored Links