Purchased an SKS - Page 3

Purchased an SKS

This is a discussion on Purchased an SKS within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Ghost Who Walks Bricks! Why would you want to risk marring a moving part like a bolt? I used an old railroad ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Purchased an SKS

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Who Walks View Post
    Bricks! Why would you want to risk marring a moving part like a bolt? I used an old railroad tie as a base for mine; placed a rag over the top, too. You're going to have to hit that retaining pin hard and fast in order to get it to move; and clamping the bolt down is, also, a good idea. (Wear safety glasses) I, also, soaked mine in Kroil, overnight, before I started banging on it.

They don't come out much easier the second or third time, either. I had Ben Murray turn these pins down for me - That worked! Brake and carburetor cleaners are, kind' a, rough to work with. You'd be a lot safer with engine degreaser and kerosene.

(You don't have to worry about breathing degreaser. By the way, I always wear Nitrile gloves while cleaning.)
    It didn't mar it at all. I got the idea from other SKS owners on SKS forums. Didn't mar theirs either apparently. It's not exactly a glasslike finish on those items anyway.

We're talking about an SKS here, not a Holland & Holland. The bolt is a very rugged piece of kit and the pin will move long before any harm comes to the bolt. Come to think of it, you're going to trash the brick before you do any harm to the bolt. Of course, if you happen to have an old railroad tie lying around....

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    So I tried the idea of spraying on some OvenCleaner as someone (I don't recall who) suggested and letting it sit in the sun, then washing it off. Cracked my stock. Looks like I'll be ordering the ATI one sooner than I thought.

Otherwise - the gun is, from what I can tell, 100% free of visible cosmoline. We'll see down the road how it handles the Arizona sunlight.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Ex Member Array Ghost Who Walks's Avatar
    Yeah, this thread has brought out some strange advice; but, what do I know? I've only rebuilt and sold 3 of them for top dollar.

(Sorry about your stock!)

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    So I tried the idea of spraying on some OvenCleaner as someone (I don't recall who) suggested and letting it sit in the sun, then washing it off. Cracked my stock. Looks like I'll be ordering the ATI one sooner than I thought.

Oven cleaner is a bad idea, thats why I didnt recomend it. When I started out refinishing milsurps, I tried it because people said itr was the fastest way....they forgot to mention that it totally ruins the woods natural finish. After I did 2 that way I put that idea in the trash and moved on.

Sorry about the stock.

Next time try a constant heat method. I have done over 20 this way now, and never had a bad experiance.

PM me if you need any other advice if you buy another one down the road.
    Fear No Evil.

Yeah. With the house I live in, there is a zero chance of getting the oven for said purpose. I can see my roommates wife beating me sensless with a very large frying pan. Not very appealing scenario considering I can't shoot her - I like her. lol That and her three large dogs turning me into kibble.

Bad dog. No Aaron.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

A shallow pan filled with very hot water will, also, do it for ya. Let the wood dry, slowly, over a period of a week afterwards. When it's dry, you'll need to, 'feather sand' the stock with 4/0 (or finer) sandpaper.

This method will do two things for you: It will cause a lot of cosmo to come to the surface where you'll be able to wipe it off; and, it will raise any small dents in the wood to make them disappear.

I should have mentioned this sooner; but, you can, also, use a vise, a short piece of drill rod, and two metal blocks in order to breakout that FP retainer pin. (I had to do this on one rifle.)

Three other items I have found to be indispensable for working on an SKS are (1) a 4", 'C' clamp (To compress the receiver into the stock without standing on the rifle) (2) an AK front sight tool, and (3) a thin metal pick, sized to keep the gas port open.

You asked where you could find an authentic SKS butt-stock toolkit? If you really want one, PM me; and I'll give you a local address.

I don't have much trouble with dis/reassembly of the weapon. I can get the trigger into the stock without much difficulty using handpower. The gas port hasn't given me any trouble either.

For now. That may change.

I WAS looking for a kit to go with the gun before my stock snapped. I don't think the new one will have a place for it. Which really is okay with me. No big deal. Thanks, though!
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review

922(r)

You may be able to get an original stock cheap online. That will give you somewhere to put the cleaning kit.
    If you do decide to replace the stock with a different one, you need to make sure that you do not fall foul of of something commonly referred to as 922(r).

www.sksboards.com is a good reference to get you started on this confusing statute

Essentially speaking, the SKS would be an illegal weapon as it stands. However, it falls under C&R (Curio and Relic) status, which means it is permitted and 922(r) does not apply. However, if you make any changes to it (for example, removing the stock) then you have to make sure that you replace a sufficient number of other parts to make it compliant.

Get this, if you REMOVE the grenade launcher (without making other changes), it is illegal. If you leave the grenande launcher on there, its legal.

Essentially, if you change your SKS in any way from it's standard, you have to replace several parts with US made parts also.

Places like Tapco make compliance kits to go with their stocks, which provide enough US made parts to fit to your SKS to make it 922(r) compliant.

Yup! Take the night sight off along with the launcher, and you'll be OK. Getting that launcher off, however, is another; 'bear' and you'll, probably, have to re:crown the muzzle before you're through.

The benefit is that accuracy will probably improve; the pinned launcher and the uncrowned muzzle, underneath, are two principle causes of inaccuracy in an M66.

I have, yet, to read a definitive legal opinion on the removal of the bayonet; the law isn't clear; but it, also, isn't rigorously enforced; and, so far, the government hasn't made an issue of this.

(By the way, it's not hard to do a military glass bedding job (Like on a Garand) on a Yugo. Two that I did were shooting inside 2 1/4" @ 100 yards.)

Dear Lord. Talk about a confusing weapon.

So if I replace the stock, I can't remove the grenade launcher without removing the night sights?!?! ***??? Okaaaaaay..... And how do I get the launcher off anyhow? It doesn't look welded. I'm afraid to put it in a vise and get it off with a pipe wrench - I don't want to torque the barrell.

re:crown? One can't just take off the end of a barrell with a hacksaw and go shooting. So I assume you mean to round it off/refinish it?
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review

How to remove the grenade sight and bayonet:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/gren...desightshs.pdf

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...ove2/index.asp

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...move/index.asp

If you want to quickly and easily, 'reverse crown' an SKS muzzle, (Which will improve accuracy) take a round sandstone Dremel bit and hold it against the front of the muzzle at, about, 6,000rpm.

Don't overheat the muzzle; and, you can dress the grind with a set of needle files if needed. Afterwards you can, also, polish the grind with a cone-shaped hard felt bit. For $25.00-$50.00 you should be able to get the finished barrel hot-blued, too.

Don't laugh - this works!

PS: Refinishing and rebuilding SKS rifles has achieved, something, of cult status! The biggest problem I, finally, ran into is that there really are no excellent aftermarket sight-sets for an SKS. There's a few decent rear sights out there; but, after trying this and that, I decided to stay with the original AK-47 front sight.

http://www.mojosights.com/ak47_sks.html

http://www.tech-sights.com/index.html

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    So if I replace the stock, I can't remove the grenade launcher without removing the night sights?!?! ***??? Okaaaaaay..... And how do I get the launcher off anyhow? It doesn't look welded. I'm afraid to put it in a vise and get it off with a pipe wrench - I don't want to torque the barrell.

re:crown? One can't just take off the end of a barrell with a hacksaw and go shooting. So I assume you mean to round it off/refinish it?

Welcome to the wonderful world of 922(r).
    Fear No Evil.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links