Purchased an SKS

This is a discussion on Purchased an SKS within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just home from the shop. As some of you know - I was looking into getting a Remington 870 Express Mag 12 guage. Well it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Purchased an SKS

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

Purchased an SKS [Pics]

Just home from the shop. As some of you know - I was looking into getting a Remington 870 Express Mag 12 guage. Well it was sold earlier this morning. The price was too tempting to someone else, I guess. However, with my heart set on a new acquistion today, I just looked around.....

...and there, hidden behind a bunch of beat-to-hell SKSs was one that had shown VERY little wear (a Yugoslavian). And for $130!!! I brought it proudly up to the counter, to the dismay of a clerk who was going to buy it at the end of the day. I got myself 140 rounds of 7.62x39 to go with it and I was out ther door.

From what I've been reading around the net about this particular model, many consider it to be the "Ugly SKS." Yeah, I would have to agree. But it's ugly like an A-10 Thunderbolt.

Here's the bottom end with the number: 219158
    This shot also shows some detail on the stock itself. There's some light scratches but nowhere near the awful rot and mis-treatment that you can see on some SKS's at local shops.

Any new advice or things I should know about these before I run off to the Pits to sight it in?
    Last edited by SixBravo; September 1st, 2006 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Added Pics
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Be sure to clean alll the cosomline off it , if it still has some. the firing pins tend to get stuck out if not all cleaned out of the firing pin channel.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    Yep - full cosmo removal - everywhere!!!

Stock looks pretty good in the pic - nice find and price was pretty good too.

"7.62x38'' ?????? You bought shorter ones
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

LOL Yeah sorry I was all amped-up when I was typin it out. 7.62x39 lol WHOOPS!!! I'll go edit that.

And Cosmo removal.....? Please explain sir. I'm primarily a handgunner so rifles are a new one for me.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

JD
    Administrator
    O be nice "P" he probally was probally still shaking from his "BUG" bite, I was feeling the urge today too, no purchase was made which is a good thing, I was torn between a COLT flat top HBAR and a HK USP .45....but I'm holding out for a Socom 16...

Anyway, the SKS is a decent rifle, not exactly what I would want for home defense as it is a little long, and 7.62x39 is not something I'd want to shoot indoors. $130 is about standard for a Yugo, the Russians and Chinese are up to $225 to $250, I wish I had bought a ton of the Russians when they were $150 out of the crate.

Basically the only thing you might want to do (after an extremely good cleaning) is put in the aftermarket magazine kits for detachable mags.

JD
    Administrator
    cosmoline----industrail gun grease used to protect weapons in long periods of storage

Assistant Administrator
    Excuse my funnin over the cal

Re mags - I have two detachables but - not so sure they are totally reliable always. I use those on my already modified Norinco

I did manage to get and fit to my Yugo - a 20 round mag - the proper deal with star on it. I think possibly those are a good option - the gun is still effectively standard but capacity is increased usefully.

Not a very good pic to show it but it is in essence just a longer version of the ten rounder.

Chris - P95

Senior Moderator
    I always liked the 20 rounders. That is some serious capacity with out the hassle of mags.

I need to get a Yugo. I've got a pre Clinton era Chinese one. With the Yugo I can make an attachment that fits over the muzzle to shoot golf balls a long ways...its lots of fun.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Assistant Administrator
    On the golf course -

''Geez Hot Guns - that was one heck of a drive you made there" LOL
    Chris - P95

Senior Moderator
    Something to think about in the future...

A Combat Carry.com "Golf Match"using the SKS. Now that would be fun...

bring lots of golf balls and lots of blanks...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

JD
    Administrator
    You know at one time I was pondering the idea of "Skeet Golf"
    But the idea of beer, shotguns, and golf carts got me thinking against the idea.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    And Cosmo removal.....? Please explain sir. I'm primarily a handgunner so rifles are a new one for me.

The mil-surp curse...cosmoline.

It is one heck of a task to remove every drop of it. Ive rigged an "easy-bake" oven to cook the cosmo off of all the parts and out of the stock..but since you probably dont have that option leaving the rifle in direct sunlight wrapped in rags is a good way to get some surface cosmo off....

After that a complete breakdown and some good ole ed's red solvent will get the remainder...but it is a lengthy process..

Check out here for some good ideas on cosmo removal, and congrats on the SKS:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp

http://www.surplusrifle.com/maintenance.asp
    Fear No Evil.

Senior Moderator
    The easiet way to remove cosmo from milsurps that Ive found is to boil the bolt and anything else that you can get into the pot.

It'll melt it out and it gets all of the little nooks and crannies that make trying to clean them out such a chore. When dry, dip them in your favorite gun juice and its good to go.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Awesome suggestions, guys. Thanks a load!!! I'm probably going to mix and match what I've head so far to get everything I can. This is why I love this forum. "Skeet Golf." LOLOLOL
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review

Isnt the A-10 referenced as the "Warthog"? Or am I confusing aircraft?
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links