Looking for a Pistol to Carry

This is a discussion on Looking for a Pistol to Carry within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a pistol to carry when I turn 21. I don't have a lot of knowledge about guns, so I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Looking for a Pistol to Carry

Looking for a Pistol to Carry

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a pistol to carry when I turn 21. I don't have a lot of knowledge about guns, so I was hoping you guys could help.

The deal is I'm looking to buy a springfield compact XDm .45, but my mothers friend who knows quite a bit about guns advised against it. He suggested a 357 magnum because it is 'more accurate and the rounds are cheaper'. For some reason I just don't want a revolver to carry.

I was wondering what you guys think. Is the XDm .45 a good choice for a carry? I realize that it's a loaded question but, what would you guys suggest for a carry pistol? I would also be using it for recreational purposes (shooting on our property). Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Get what fits, both your hand (you'll practice more and shoot strsighter), and your budget. There is no functional difference between the two in terms of ballistics, or none that matters. Go to the LGS and price 50 rounds of each in personal defense ammo and you decide.

The XD is a fine gun, as is just about any gun with that price tag. So get what fits and what you think you will train best upon, and thank your mother's friend for advice. Like mine, it's free, and you still have to live with your choice.

FWIW- I own both an XD and a .357. I like them both for different reasons.
    sixgun likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Some Tips:
    -Take a basic gun safety/marksmanship course. If your state requires specialized courses to get a CCW permit, do take them.
    -Once you have accomplished that, go to a shooting range and try out different types of rental guns/calibers to see if which one you can shoot quickly and accurately. Start out with the small calibers first.
    -If you are not comfortable with high powered calibers for personal protection, I would recommend a .38/.380 as a minimum. Anything less than that, you are selling yourself short. But when a .38/.380 is too much for you to handle, then it's time to try out the smaller calibers but don't go with the most feeble caliber. Again, even a small caliber gun or mouse gun is better than having no gun at all, if that is all you can handle. But be aware of its limitations in its effectiveness.
    -Pick out a holster more suited to your dress or lifestyle. But if you decide to use a belt holster, use a belt designed for that.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I agree get what suits you best. Go out to a range and see if you can rent the ones you like. I own a XD-40 SC and I do carry it. But at times it is a little bulky for what I'm doing. So I have others (smaller and single stacks) to carry when needed.

What Jason and Sid said. Many ranges have rentals, so give them your hard-earned money and see what you like.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    The XD will serve you fine as will a .357 (I've owned and carried both). Currently my EDC is a Sig P229 .40. Handle a bunch, shoot them if you can, and get the one that best fits you. Doesn't matter what someone else's opinion is. YOU must be happy with it.
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for the advice guys. Renting guns at a range is something I didn't really consider. I'll have to see what I can do about that.

@Jason, in Michigan you cannot buy a pistol from a vendor or take a CCW class until you're 21, so I'm about 8 months away from that, but plan on doing it sometime after my birthday. I want to have time to get comfortable with a gun before I start carrying it.

@InTTruder You suggested comparing prices for ammo at my LGS. I was wondering what you think about buying ammo online. I haven't looked into at all. If you buy online where do you prefer to buy ammo?

Go to several gun shops and start handling the firearms...soon one will start calling out your name.
    When you find what you think you like, come back here and start asking about it...hold off buying until you do some research.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by InTTruder View Post
    Get what fits, both your hand (you'll practice more and shoot strsighter), and your budget. There is no functional difference between the two in terms of ballistics, or none that matters. Go to the LGS and price 50 rounds of each in personal defense ammo and you decide.

The XD is a fine gun, as is just about any gun with that price tag. So get what fits and what you think you will train best upon, and thank your mother's friend for advice. Like mine, it's free, and you still have to live with your choice.

FWIW- I own both an XD and a .357. I like them both for different reasons.
    +1 here

Go to a store and hold a Glock 19. Even better if you can shoot one. I got one for Christmas, a little earlier than my 21st, and the most interaction I had with the pistol was holding it in various shops. It runs like a clock and shoots like a dream.

With regards to ammo prices, I just got 500 rounds of 9mm NATO for $120.

Ammo online is great. Buy a lot because even shipping small packages is expensive. I buy a box of .45ACP FMJ every time I walk into a gun shop. Just to keep the supply up and to do my small part to keep them in business. ammoengine.com used to be awesome but they only link a few vendors now. bulkammo.com is good for... bulk ammo. But check your LGS too. The place I purchased my last 3 guns at had a great deal on XM193 and I bought a few thousand rounds. (They're a 30-50 minute drive but the best in the area... There's a place 5 minutes up the street but the service is dismal)

As for your handgun purchase, I think your friend's advice had to do with a preference for revolvers. I prefer autos for carry but definitely shoot a few. There may be something you absolutely hate about them after shooting them. Good luck!
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

+ 1 As stated above, go to a shooting range that lets you try different handguns.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_ View Post
    Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a pistol to carry when I turn 21. I don't have a lot of knowledge about guns, so I was hoping you guys could help.

The deal is I'm looking to buy a springfield compact XDm .45, but my mothers friend who knows quite a bit about guns advised against it. He suggested a 357 magnum because it is 'more accurate and the rounds are cheaper'. For some reason I just don't want a revolver to carry.

I was wondering what you guys think. Is the XDm .45 a good choice for a carry? I realize that it's a loaded question but, what would you guys suggest for a carry pistol? I would also be using it for recreational purposes (shooting on our property). Thanks in advance.

The statement that .357 Mag ammo is cheaper than .45 ACP tells me right away the guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Get what suits your needs and what feels right for you. You are the one buying it, you will be the one shooting it and ultimately your the one who has to be happy with your purchase.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Its all personal preference buddy. Not everyone will be alike. Rent some and shoot some. Being that you're new, I wouldn't suggest such a big caliber. Start out with a nine and go up from there. After your first handgun purchase, you're going to come to the fact that buying firearms will be an ADDICTION! You won't be happy with just one. :P

Buying ammo online is great! Just sucks because of the wait.

NRA Member
    Gen4 G23

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Phil,
    Like you said you have 8 months to decide. Half the fun can be the hunt for that perfect firearm.
    Remember, whats perfect for someone else may not be perfect for you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links