Should I be mad at my local gun shop for this

This is a discussion on Should I be mad at my local gun shop for this within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Bought a Para GI LTC 2 weeks ago from my LGS brand new. Store owner said it was a great gun, rock solid, that Para ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Should I be mad at my local gun shop for this

Should I be mad at my local gun shop for this

Bought a Para GI LTC 2 weeks ago from my LGS brand new. Store owner said it was a great gun, rock solid, that Para is better than most for the money etc. Again, I bought it. I decide after 150 flawless rounds I want a more modern looking 1911 (larger slide serrations, novak sights, etc) and one that is a little "higher end" (again, NOTHING wrong with the Para). He had a Kimber I wanted so I asked about trade in for my Para. Now all of a sudden he offers me a very low amount for the Para and says "I have a safe full of them and they ain't that good a gun". "Oh really", I say, "that isn't the sales pitch you gave me 2 weeks ago". Akward silence followed. I have purchased 3 guns from him in the last 7 months. I expected better treatment.

I promptly took my Para down the road to another store and got what I wanted with a nice trade on my Para. Should I never go back or am I being too harsh?

2. Remove Ads

Don't go back, he tried to flim flam you so screw him!
    Badey, Eagleks, sgb and 6 others like this.

Down the road I go.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I promptly took my Para down the road to another store and got what I wanted with a nice trade on my Para. Should I never go back or am I being too harsh?
    Yes, you are being much too harsh, and should definitely give them another chance.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Yes, you are being much too harsh, and should definitely give them another chance.
    Only thing is, on another trade he told me my gun plus $200. I said, "no way" and then he changed it to $150 plus my gun. I said, "I was thinking more like $75". He took it. I don't like to negotiate like a pawn shop when gun dealing. I understand a little haggling, but he tried to hammer me on the first offer.

To be able to know for sure if he was raping you, we need to know what the trade was. Your gun and $$ for a ( fill in the blank).

Sounds like he is good at his job, which is making money.
    DanielC and oneshot like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I would be concerned about the "it's a great gun" when you're buying it but then the "it's not such a great gun" when you're selling it. It's obvious that it's all negotiation but he should have recalled your earlier deal and shown a bit more tact with you.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

after you pull the knife out of your back I would find a new place to spend my money AND go to his webb site and trash talk him because word of mouth is how we (gun ownes ) live by

Ever drive a new car off the lot and try to trade it in a month later?

The best thing about being the buyer in any haggling situation: you can always walk.

I would expect better treatment if I've been a regular. What's the phrase? If someone gives you good service you'll tell three people. If someone gives you bad sevice, you'll tell ten. Post the shop and send them the link....lol....
    Stubborn likes this.

You've just learned that 'honesty' , is not high on his list of attributes.
    sgb and phreddy like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I would have at least expected fair value for the trade. The part that gets me is the talking it up when selling it and then claiming it is a pile when faced with buying one back. Since he has a safe full of them, I think you know why he talked it up as being such a good deal.

As far as fair value, I have been told to go to gunbroker.net, find what they are selling for and estimate 60% for a trade in value. Based upon the one experience where I traded one in, I think this is fairly accurate. The one I traded in, I had bought at a store where they said that it had been slightly used by the owner's nephew and that they could personally vouch for it being a problem free gun. It gave me nothing but trouble. I haven't made a purchase at that store again.

Para is a fine weapon he trying to make buck.

EdC
    Sounds like he says whatever he needs to make a sale, and whatever he needs to lower a price for a trade in. If he's going to do that, he needs a better memory.
    I can't say that the guy is dishonest, he just drives a hard bargain. Some dealers have that business model, some do not.
    With all the competition for gun dollars, you can probably go on down the road and deal with someone you feel better about. I would.

I understand your frustration. It was a foolish move on his part. A "professional" sales person can do his job (buy low, sell high!!) without talking down like that. He has to make money, and I wouldnt hold that against him. He defenitly could use a little more sales-guy-polish though. Any other employees at the shop that you would have a better relationship with?

sgb
    A man without honesty can't be trusted. I don't fault any LGS owner from making a profit, however I require honesty in all transactions. No I would not go back.
    phreddy likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links