The perfect full size Beretta 92

This is a discussion on The perfect full size Beretta 92 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There are so many variants: M9, 92FS, etc; and different years and different countries of origin. My gut says an Italian-made 92FS but I don't ...

There are so many variants: M9, 92FS, etc; and different years and different countries of origin. My gut says an Italian-made 92FS but I don't even know what that even means. I am willing to buy it new or used but I would love the perfect, best example of the 92. What say you? It would be a tool and not a safe queen. I am not a collector. Thanks.
    Gen 1 G17, Gen 3 G23, Gen 4 G26, 870P, MkIII 678, 10/22 Carbine

Well a 92f is the same as an m9, my question is why a 9mm that big and heavy? Works as a military sidearm (they don't have to conceal it) but too big for my tastes.

Mine happens to be a USA made 92 Brigadier FS. I can't say it's the "perfect" or better than the rest but I can say it's a fine pistol.
    Attached Images

What are you going to use it for, CC, OC or home defense?

I have a 92FS and do CC with it in the winter. It takes a bit to conceal in an IWB but is very doable. It is also a big, heavy pig. I am used to it being retired military but still have the j-frame handy for moments of sanity

If you want to OC I would say the weight is the only issue. To the general public, all guns are 'big'.

For HD I think I would pick something newer like the A1 to have the options a rail would give you.

My experience has been an extremely accurate, reliable pistol I have owned for nearly 20 years. I have never regretted my purchase.
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin

My gut says an Italian-made 92FS but I don't even know what that even means.
    It means it was made in Italy. That's where Beretta is located. Their U.S. facility is in Maryland. My 92FS is from Italy. Some people say Italian Berettas are authentic or the real deal. Honestly, a Beretta is a Beretta wherever it's made. But for some, the Italian made guns are more special. And some are worth more than the U.S. made guns. As for the perfect 92? I think I'd go with the M9A1 or 92A1 (same gun). That way you have the option of putting a light/laser or combo unit on the gun since it already has a rail. Or you could by the standard model and buy a rail adapter that you can take on and off. There are a few different adapters out there. Personally, I prefer the one from Surefire.

I have always liked the 92fs. They were just being fazed in when I went in the service, so I used ol slabsides and the Beretta. It was a good shooter, and I have thought about getting one.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

92F/96 are fine well made weapons. They are however designed more of an open carry like police and military. They are build to hold up in a different world than most .
    There are to many far better weapons for the average person as a personal CC weapon.

VIP Member
    There's a respected member here that's known to occasionally cc two at a time.

I don't envision myself carrying it IWB, but in spite of how much I whined when they took away our 1911's, I really want one now. There's something about it that grew on me.

Links