G36 not a happy camper

G36 not a happy camper

This is a discussion on G36 not a happy camper within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Today made around 900 rounds through my g36 I had one fte in the first 50 rounds and since not one problem till today 700-900 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: G36 not a happy camper

G36 not a happy camper

Today made around 900 rounds through my g36 I had one fte in the first 50 rounds and since not one problem till today 700-900 had 6 fte. The brass would jam horizontally between the barrel and the slide in line with the barrel. I tried all 3 mags to see if the problem was with the mag didn't have enough rounds left to get it to fail again. To clear the jam you have to drop the Mag completely and the brass would fall through the grip. I don't wanna go through the hassle of customer service and I don't feel comfortable with the reliablity anymore, so I just decided I'm gonna sell it and go with the S&W m&p9c.

JD
    Administrator
    And pass the problem on to someone else?

Might just be something as simple as a recoil spring. Guns won't run forever without some parts needing to be replaced...

I dont like the fact it has less than 1k rounds shot and already needing replacement parts for a glock. Besides the Person buying it is fully aware of the problem I had and there ok with it therefore so am I.

I'd bet you a Starbucks that your gun just needs a fresh recoil spring, as JD already suggested.

With mechanical devices, compromises are in abundance in design and execution. Ultra-compact guns generally beat up springs a lot faster than their full-size brethren, and Glocks are no different. For my money, I'd sooner drop $10 on a new recoil spring rather then lose more in a trade. But hey, that's just me.
    ccman likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Did you switch your brand of ammo recently? I had a spate of FTE failures on my 1911 one time years ago and we traced it to a batch of ammo I was using. Might not be a problem with the pistol at all!
    ccman likes this.
    Cheers!

Joe
    NRA Benefactor Member
    Fortīs fortūna adiuvat

Sounds serious. I'll give you $50 for it.

I also don't consider spring replacement as a "real" replacement part since they do need to be changed periodically....kind of like selling your car rather than changing the oil, especially since 700-900 puts it right in the middle of where I've read the smaller pistols need to have them changed.

Oh well. Good for the guy getting what will likely be an awesome deal.

I Was debating on the other gun before, and this was the nudge I needed. I have had a 26 and a 27 with multiple thousands of rounds never had a problem. 900 rounds and needing a tune up and reading how problematic the g36 can be no thanks. If I'm gonna have to tune it up every few hundred rounds and not feel comfortable using it as a edc why keep it. Im gonna switch edc weapons back to the g27 and I'm not gonna use a .45 for a range gun to expensive. It isn't like the other glocks I own or owned which have been completely problem free not even a hiccup. I gave it a chance it didn't stand up to my reliability standards how ever high you might think they are it's my descion and its done. Just giving a range report and describing my disapointment i defiantly was not expecting these problems with a new gun. Also to answer joepilot I have been using the same ammo each time.

Administrator
    "Might just be something as simple as a recoil spring."
    or you might try some stiffer ammo.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have mine for over ten years with no problems, but have replaced the spring a few times. Will cut and paste what a former expert gave me:

User-Level Pistol Maintenance:

Reputable pistol manufactures all recommend, at the user-level, regular
    field-stripping, cleaning/lubricating, and inspection of parts for excessive
    wear and breakage.

However, the only part all manufacturers suggest be regularly replaced,
    regardless of outward appearance, is the recoil spring or spring-assembly.
    Most say recoil-springs need replacing at 3,500 rounds. On Gen4 pistols,
    Glock now sets the replacement number at 5,000 rounds.

The five biggest issues I've seen with student pistols are:

1) Complete neglect
    2) Insufficient lubrication
    3) Over-lubrication (particularly of the firing-pin/striker channel)
    4) Amateur gunsmithing
    5) Replacement of factory parts with after-market parts

In addition, serious pistols, that see any use at all, will require
    armorer-level maintenance at least once per year. An armorer will
    detain-dissemble the pistol, clean/lubricate, and inspect/replace parts as necessary.
    When your pistol comes back from the armorer, it will be certified as "
    serviceable and within factory specifications," a valuable endorsement when the
    pistol is subsequently involved in a shooting incident.

With moderate, even substantial, use, and only reasonable care (let alone
    meticulous, or even good care), your Glock, XD, M&P, SIG, Kahr, CX4, et al
    will run reliably, well in excess of the average human lifetime!

For serious protection, one needs a serious pistol that is well-maintained
    and always ready to run.
    ccman and DoctorBob like this.

After ever range trip I break it down and clean it. Lube isn't the problem I lube all my glocks the same way with very little. I inspect the parts for anything that looks different. I have had the gun for 2 months bought brand new Sometimes it's the gun not the shooter it could be a spring idk it kinda of pisses me off that it would need one so soon even if I got a bad one that goes in to the reliability factor.

Hey op,
    I have several m&P's and they have been 100% reliable. I live them so much. Don't worry about switching. There are a lot of fan boy's in this world for glock and rightfully so. I just prefer the American made smith.

I know it's funny how you find something that shouldn't be and all of a sudden it's you it can't be the gun no way. It could be simple fixes fact is I'm not happy with having to fix a gun that's 2 months old and has less than 1 k rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinS View Post
    I know it's funny how you find something that shouldn't be and all of a sudden it's you it can't be the gun no way. It could be simple fixes fact is I'm not happy with having to fix a gun that's 2 months old and has less than 1 k rounds.
    Well, the thing about forums is that if you post a message, you'll get a bunch of opinions in response. You put your information out there, and we offer comments and suggestions. But these are just opinions, not the voice of God telling you what to do. Stick to your guns (pun intended) and proceed as you were going to.
    Sledge and AZJD1968 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

It has to be shooter error :-)
    BkCo1 likes this.

Sounds like the Been Brothers have struck again..."could 'a been, should 'a been, would 'a been" a simple recoil spring...
    I seriously doubt that you have 900 good rounds and now your G-36 is suddenly bad...
    Replace the recoil spring and get back with us.

A dependable 1911 can do the same thing.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links