M&P .45 feeding problems,please help!

This is a discussion on M&P .45 feeding problems,please help! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a M&P .45 that is giving me a ton of problems. Iím not even able to fire a full magazine without having 3 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have a M&P .45 that is giving me a ton of problems. Iím not even able to fire a full magazine without having 3 to 4 failure to load. By failure to load I mean the round gets stuck with the bullet started in the barrel and the case starting in the extractor. I polished the feed ramp by hand with wenol, put it back together and tried it again with the same results. I came back in and took it apart again. This time I noticed brass shavings under the slide so I tried to slide a round under the extractor and it is very very tight. Also noticed the rims of the rounds I fired are really scared up bad. It appears that the extractor is the problem. I tried factory loads, reloads and Horn CD with the same results.

M&P has about 50 rounds through it. My Ruger P345 eats the same ammo like candy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Proud IDPA Member

"Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid." ― John Wayne

"Necessity of action takes away the fear of the act, and makes bold resolution the favorite of fortune." -Francis Quarles

Is your M&P pistol new? I'm no fan of S&W pistols of any variety (just ask around). Thing is...if it's new it should be covered under warranty or something. If that is the case, go through the proper channels and get it looked at/fixed. If not, make sure your magazines are up to par. Some pistols have a break-in period. Read your owner's manual.
    Usually I'd say quit messing around and get a Glock. But I didn't say that exactly....I just simply suggested it.

Yes it's new, I picked it up on March 24th. Sorry RamRod I'm not a fan of the Glocks, just does not feel right in my hand.
    Proud IDPA Member

"Necessity of action takes away the fear of the act, and makes bold resolution the favorite of fortune." -Francis Quarles

Yep, give S&W a call. The round has to be able to freely slip under the extractor yet be held in place.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    This is just not on par with any of the S&W M&P's I have had including my M&P45. Call S&W as these pistols are by far what everyone else is now trying to compare to with regards to reliability. They are right up with the older Gen 3 Glocks.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Had a similar problem (numerous FTF) with ammo supplied by the Sheriff's Dept range, ( bulk reloads from Georgia Arms ). Ck'd the ammo against the Winchester White box in my range bag and found the case rims were visibly thicker. Switched to my own ammo, no more problem. The case was not able to slide between the bolt face and extractor.
    You didn't ID the ammo you were using, so changing brand may resolve the issue. Other than that one time, mine has been flawless.
    Winchester WB=range, Ranger T = EDC, Hornady TAP, Federal HST.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

My factory ammo is PMC Bronze, Hornady CD and reloads from my LGS. Reloads have cases from Win,Fed and a couple others. I am going to contact S&W tomorrow and see what they say as well.

Thanks for everyones feedback.
    Proud IDPA Member

Often, feeding issues are caused by the magazines. Try different mags and make sure they're cleaned inside and out.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

cj
    Of thousands of rounds (most of them without cleaning), I've had exactly 1 failure (a FTF from an ammunition problem) across my M&Ps. I'd give Smith a call and let them fix it.

Thanks everyone.

I spoke with S&W and they said fill out the online info and send it to them. I forgot to ask about the turn around time.
    Proud IDPA Member

My m&p9c is fairly new with about 200 to 300 rounds thru it. And Ive used reloads various factory ammo. Im letting her get good and broke in before I start seeing what defence ammo it likes. The only problem Ive had so far was with russian steel cased stuff. Good luck smith should get you fixed up if the problem continues

Most issues I've had with FTF especially with a new gun or one not properly cared for was the feed ramp.. Had my local Smith strip & polish it.. Worked great. Plus some guns are just picky eaters.. I always buy 3-4 types of ammo, ball & HP.. Then use what I like & works best.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I was told today to never use steel case ammo with the M&Ps.

Let us know how it goes man.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    I was told today to never use steel case ammo with the M&Ps.

Let us know how it goes man.
    I've been shooting for a lot of years and have two M&P's and that's the first time I've ever heard that,do you have a reputable source,or just somebodys personal opinion
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Hey Fish_4_Fun,

I was google searching and I came across your post so I signed up on this forum...

I'm having the EXACT same problem. Just came back from the range 2 hours ago. Today was the second time I've fired my M&P45. The first day I put ~250 rounds through it and today I put ~150 through it.

The gun is brand new...2.5 weeks old.

Some things I've noticed:

-Out of the box, ejecting the magazines was a battle. Sometimes the magazines would eject, and sometimes I could push the magazine release over and over and over and the magazine wouldn't move. I noticed that when that happened I could push on the bottom of the magazine a bit and the magazine would shift slightly in the magazine well and then I would be able to eject it. The gun shop I bought the pistol from had to file down the magazine catch inside the magazine well and I had to file it down even more after I brought it home. Now they drop just fine. That was a little strange.

-When I first tried to release the slide (with the magazine out) it took a tremendous amount of force to get it to release...and I'm not a dainty guy by any means. My dad had a problem with it too. I gave it to the guy who owns the gun store to try and he had a tough time with it also. I figured it was just because it's a new pistol. Since then it's releasing a little better. I'd say 20% better.

-It's very difficult to load the 10th round into the magazine when using an uplula loader or even when doing it by hand. I wish I would've thought to only load 8 or 9 rounds in the magazine and see if that helped the situation but I unfortunately didn't think of that until I called my dad on the drive home to get his advice on the subject. I'll try only loading 8 or 9 rounds in the magazine this weekend.

-I have 2 factory magazines and I didn't get through 1 entire magazine without a failure to feed. This issue is happening on both factory magazines that came with the pistol and they're clean and have no visible problems/dents/blemishes.

-When I'd have a failure to feed I'd rack the slide back, eject the unfired round onto the ground and continue shooting. Then, after shooting, I would pick up the unfired round, load it into the magazine and put it through the gun. I had some instances where that round fed just fine and other instances where I experienced a failure to feed again. This observation could be completely useless and I'm not sure what to read into this.

-At the first range outing I noticed that after the 10th round was fired the slide did not lock back on 2 occasions. I've never had that happen before with any of my guns. I read online a couple of places that people were having this problem because of a thumbs forward grip. They said that their strong hand thumb (right handed) was touching the slide release and causing failure to feeds. That is not the same problem that I'm experiencing. Today I moved my strong hand thumb away from the slide release and I'm still having failure to feeds. In hind sight it sounds completely ridiculous to think that I grazed the slide release and it's causing this problem. Then again, I didn't think any of this other stuff would happen.

-Without sounding like a moron...sometimes when firing I can feel the slide pushing back and returning to full battery slower than normal. It's enough that I'm noticing it happening rarely. Almost like the slide is returning to battery and getting caught up along the way causing the slide to noticeably slow down on its return to battery.

I'm using BVAC Hunting Target Match .45 ACP 230grain FMJ rounds and they've worked great in my Kimber Tactical Pro II and in my dads Swenson .45.

That's the data I've collected and I don't know what anyone can make of it but here's what I plan on doing...

-Getting 2-3 different types of ammo to try for the next time I go out.
    -Trying to load only 8 or 9 rounds in the magazine to see if it could be a magazine problem when loading that difficult 10th round.
    -Sending it back to S&W because my head will eventually explode from trying to diagnose this problem.

I've owned a lot of polymer guns and never had an experience like this. Maybe I got a lemon but I'm going to give it a few more chances given all the positive feedback that people give towards the M&P pistols. And when I say "positive feedback" I mean people seem to LOVE these guns.

As of right now it's not a pistol I can trust for home defense...or really for anything until I can get this situation resolved and feel comfortable about it.

I'm really interested in knowing what S&W said about your pistol and what they're doing to fix it. Please keep me (and everyone else) posted. If you want I'll send you a private message (if I can do that on this site) and I'll give you my phone number so we can talk about it. Whatever works for you.

Thanks and hope to hear from you, or anyone for that matter, about this issue.

Sorry for the insanely long reply.

Here's what happens on the failure to feed:
    failure to feed.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links