What kind of "fun" do you have while shooting, I'm looking for ideas.

This is a discussion on What kind of "fun" do you have while shooting, I'm looking for ideas. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, so basically, 30-50 of us are gonna head down to some family property to do some camping and shooting. We do this a couple ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What kind of "fun" do you have while shooting, I'm looking for ideas.

What kind of "fun" do you have while shooting, I'm looking for ideas.

Ok, so basically, 30-50 of us are gonna head down to some family property to do some camping and shooting. We do this a couple times of year normally. We have targets set from 7 yards (missouri ccw qualify distance) out to 350 or 650 yards. We have guns from .17 HMR, .22, all types of handguns, deer rifles, target shooting .308, lots of AR's, SKS's, AK's, this year even a bolt action .50 BMG. Oh don't forget the shotguns and clay birds. So, I recently learned a game they called Annie Oakley. Several shotgun shooters line up (spread out) and get ready. First person in line calls "pull" and gets a single shot attempt to shoot bird. If he fails to break bird, second person in line gets a shot. If he hits it, the person who missed is out of game. Game goes on until one person "wins". I'm looking for any other fun types of things to do while shooting. If you are bored, read this message I send out to the newcomers to our weekend and their friends.

So we decided on April 20-22, to get outdoors dust off our guns, and do some shooting. (or just enjoy spending time with friends in the country air, and drink a beer around the bon-fire)

Bring guns if you have them, or money/ammo and 99.99% of the guns that will be there are welcome for others to use. Come and get more info about how guns work, learn to shoot, or become more comfortable around firearms in general. There are generally just about every kind of firearm possible, and folks that are friendly and knowledgable.

What: Shooting weekend
    Where: xxxxxx, MO
    When: April 20-22
    Who: Friends, Co-workers, and friends of friends
    and co-workers room for everyone!

Basically, a bunch of folks are gonna head down to a friend of pkupmn98's property,
    it is about a 2 hour drive depending on what part of St. Louis you are leaving from.

You can come down and leave whenever you want. I will probably head down immediately after work, unless I take a half day.

Friday afternoon/evening: (depending on when anyone gets there) will be setting up targets/ranges etc. Maybe shoot some, depending on daylight. Bonfire and booze!
    Saturday: shooting, maybe some fourwheeling (if folks bring any down) another bonfire and more booze!
    Sunday: shooting, cleanup and head home sometime that afternoon/evening.

Some of my friends and I will probably go in together on some groceries and split the cost of food. You can do likewise or buy your own

There is a barn on the property, that has been converted into living quarters, we built a second and third floor in it. They have a lot of mattresses and lots of floor space, you
    should bring a sleeping bag and pillow. You can bring an air mattress if you like, or even a tent, as lots of folks camp in the field near the barn too.

They have running water, electric and heat to the barn. A full kitchen to cook in, however fridge space is limited, so bring a cooler for your food and drinks. This is a BARN we'll be staying in! Hundred or more years old... VERY dusty, and they have cats and a dog! keep this in mind if you need any medication or whatever, Farmington is a long drive if you need something in the middle of the night. The closest fast food/gas/grocery is probably half hour drive from thier place, I suggest you bring what you think you'll need.

Bring any guns etc you want. If you do not own any guns, do not worry about it. There will be plenty of cool folks that don't mind you shooting theirs.
    Just bring your own ammo.
    Some common ammo you MIGHT want to bring/shoot.
    Ask whoever you got this from if they think you should bring anything else

9MM plenty of pistols, and a cool semi auto uzi lookin pistol shoot 9mm
    45 cal. Tommy gun, and other pistols probably
    .223 for the AR-15s
    7.62 x 39mm AK-47s and SKS etc.
    12 ga shotgun shells if you want to shoot skeet/trap etc. you might want to bring a box of clay birds, if you have a pigeon thrower, bring it too!

Things to shoot!
    any scrap wood you can bring is easy to screw/nail together to hold up targets.
    google.com and enter "free targets" to find paper targets to print for free, and make copies
    find exploding targets on tannerite.com
    bowling pins and balls make good targets
    old propane tanks can be fun. bbq tanks, small 1lb tanks, torch tanks etc.
    tennis balls, golf balls
    cardboard boxes
    old doors/sheets of plywood
    anything else you can think of, so long as it is either: biodegradable (like the clay pigeons) OR easy to clean up/burn, or both! No glass, TVs, appliances etc.

Bring: food, soda, beer, water, ammo, guns, targets, sleeping bag, pillow, air mattress, tent, Toilet Paper, Trash bags? maybe bug spray (are bugs out that early in the year) ear plugs, safety glasses

Directions:

questions or comments? email me back or text/call

What do you think.. anything JUMP out at you that you think I need to hear? I have done this multiple years, multiple times a year, from BRAND new shooters, to people who make up their own loads and have more guns than I have years behind me. (of course, once you start drinking, you're done shooting, lots of people want to make sure I don't let drunks run around with loaded guns) :)

2. Remove Ads

Hello we have a gun club we meet every wed nite and set up different courses to shoot. sometimes we have tatical senerios or concealed carry home defence style shoots. And we mix it up with uspsa style courses and throw in some long range rifle and night shoots where you have to use tactical lights hand held and gun mounted. We even have had car jacking senarios. someone always comes up with something different every week.

I would hold a range safety briefing and identify any new shooters so that they can have an experienced instructor with them when they shoot,A lot of new shooters if they have a malfunction tend to turn around with the gun to look for help and sweep the whole line with the muzzle
    Hopyard and farronwolf like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks Duk, something we had in mind already. We're gonna get the more experienced, (and not afraid to speak up when someone needs help or doing something dangerous) and agree to all be unofficial RSO and watch everyone and help the newer shooters.

You forgot the directions.

Quote Originally Posted by niks View Post
    You forgot the directions.

Imagine us all showing up, guns and booze in tote.
    niks likes this.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Yeah. I 'might' have deleted the directions, and some of the details of where we're gonna be. This is already going to be the biggest turnout so far, and I'm a slight bit nervous about it, seeing as how I organized it and feel personally responsible for everyone's safety. Mom is even coming down this year, buying food in bulk for everyone interested, and only charging $25 for food for the whole weekend AND cooking for us all! (mom's the best)

Well since you mentioned beer, booze, and getting drunk several times, I'm sure you will have "Fun". Can't have fun without the booze, right?

Like mentioned, we refuse to let anyone shoot or even handle firearms after the decide to start drinking. The drinking usually starts well after dark, while sitting around the campfire. (and normally results in a later start the next morning!)

And no, if rereading your post helps me understand what you're getting at, the entire weekend will be fun, not just the drinking part. And even if the campfire drinking didn't happen, no one would go home upset either! :-)

Last day to give ideas for us to have fun with on our shooting weekend! Gimme all your ideas to keep us entertained! :)
    Ruger SR9c
    Ruger LCP
    Ruger SR22

Gunny likes to shoot watermelons...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

That might just make me stop by the grocery store on the way down! :-)
    Ruger SR9c
    Ruger LCP
    Ruger SR22

You got pigs on the property? Knocking down 40-100lb rats is my idea of fun :)
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

They have been reported in the county, but none have been sighted in the vicinity of the farm. Quite a distance away sadly :(
    Ruger SR9c
    Ruger LCP
    Ruger SR22

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links