Why is it that the Browning A-Bolt is not as well liked?

This is a discussion on Why is it that the Browning A-Bolt is not as well liked? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I decided that I needed a 30-06 for my rifle battery. I am getting a Browning A-Bolt this time. It will be my first bolt ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is it that the Browning A-Bolt is not as well liked?

I decided that I needed a 30-06 for my rifle battery. I am getting a Browning A-Bolt this time. It will be my first bolt action centerfire that is not a Winchester ,Savage or a Remington. Why is it that the A-Bolt is not that common here in the USA? I think they are very well made and the bolts are very easy to work fast. Maybe it is because they are about $50 more than the rifles made here in the US.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I have a Browning Left-Handed A-Bolt Medallion .30-06 and love it, and it wasn't cheap. As for why they are not popular I have no idea, it seems to me they should be.

Don't know, but the one I shot 20 yrs ago was super accurate - and a rimfire to boot. Can't think of a reason, unless people assume b/c it's a Browning it'll cost a lot more and don't even consider it.

sgb
    I had an A bolt Stalker in '06, with Winchester 165 PSP it'd do sub MOA three shot groups.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I was drooling over one years ago. It had that adjustable weight on the muzzle for tuning the barrel harmonics. As I recall the bolt was slick.very nice rifle but couldn't think up a good enough excuse for the wife as to why I needed another bolt action.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I have an A bolt in .280 remington

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife bought me one for Christmas about 20-25 years ago. Her & her father had a difficult time finding it in Southpaw. As a matter of fact, I switched scopes on it after the last time I went deer hunting (about 15 years ago) and just got around to sighting it in the other day. Planning to maybe deer hunt again next season. Anyway, the scope was way off, got it about zeroed to 50 yards now, intended to get it at 100 yards, however! I sure don't remember it kicking as hard as it does. I could only shoot 10 rounds, then picked my left shoulder off the ground and put it back, and went home. This getting old crap sure ain't for sissies!

[IMG][/IMG]

Oops! Wrong one, that's my "T" Bolt... SORRY

A-Bolts are good guns. Everyone that I know who owns one, loves it. That does not mean they hunt with them though. My father switched from an A-Bolt in .270 to an X-bolt .243 and is pleased with both guns.

The X-Bolt is a different variant with a nifty safety feature. You can remove the bolt with the safety on.

I also own an X-Bolt that I am happy with. To be honest, had the X-Bolt not been out, I would have gone with an A-Bolt as well. The Browning rifle stocks fit me very well, and the guns themselves shoot very well to boot. The extra cost up front for one really does not matter in the long run anyways.

VIP Member
    Because they are more expensive than most meat and potato folks want to spend.

I have a A-Bolt Hunter in 300WSM and it is very accurate.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Lead Moderator
    I have a A bolt I got years ago from my dad. It is a great gun with a very smooth bolt and accurate. I think some of the lack of popularity is due to aftermarket accessories as well as cost. Lots of aftermarket stuff for Remington bolt guns.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have a Browning A-Bolt I earned with prize points in 1987 or so. Only thing I don't like is it was made in Japan. Would not purchase one now if it was made there.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I deer hunt with an A bolt in 7mm rem mag. I was going to take it to Africa also, but that trip did not happen.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I have two A-bolts one in 7mm Mag and the other in .270 they are great rifles, my boys think they are thiers, because I mainly bow hunt now. I also have an older model which is a Browning Bolt Rifle which has a bigger bolt and locking lugs. If I by another bolt rifle it will likely be a Browning.

i own a browning a bolt stainless stalker in 270wsm. it is a awesome rifle. balances well when shouldered, accurate, silky smooth bolt action, only 60 degrees to open. my only complaint is that it was made in japan, at the time i didn't realize that. had i known that before hand i more then likely would have passed on it. maybe that's the reason?? that would be the only thing i can think of. personally i think companies should post on their site where they have their products made. you would think that being a browning you would get an american made product.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I'm going to guess that you don't hear much about them from the web ninja's because Seal Team Six has never used one! They are very popular in the hunting field. I would bet there's more than $50 between an A Bolt and a Rem 700. My Browning an A Bolt Medallion, has very nice engraving on it, Polished metal, and gold trim. Not every ones cup of tea, But I like it. Mine doesnt get out as much any more now that I spend more time hunting coyotes than deer. I don't think I could bring myself to Camo it out! DR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links