Kahr CW9 magazine falls out

This is a discussion on Kahr CW9 magazine falls out within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had done a lot of research on the Ruger LC9. Really came close to buying one. They were very hard to find. I took ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Kahr CW9 magazine falls out

Kahr CW9 magazine falls out

I had done a lot of research on the Ruger LC9. Really came close to buying one. They were very hard to find. I took the recommendation of the salesman on the Kahr CW9 as a great gun, it had a warranty and that I would not be disappointed... I went home, researched for a couple days then decided to give the Kahr a go...

Well, I'm disappointed. The magazine falls out of the darn thing. I have had this happen on the first round, the second, the third, etc. It's not every time though. It's random throughout the magazine. There is a little bit of marking on the magazine follower, but just lightly. I had seen the follower blamed for this specific failure elsewhere after the third or forth shots. I had seen the thumb blamed for hitting the mag release so I tried holding the gun differently, but the only thing that helps is switching to my left hand. I did that twice with no failures in the magazine. Aside from cutting off my right thumb (which I am unwilling to do ) I can't fathom how else I could hold it normally to avoid the malfunction, much less that I would remember in a defensive situation. I have a call into Kahr since yesterday and no one has returned my call from them. I have put a hundred rounds through it and 90% of the time the magazine drops. The pistol shoots well when the magazine stays in place and I find it accurate and recoil is easy to handle, it comes back to target easily too. But right now I would feel better throwing it at someone to protect myself then worrying about the magazine coming out if I shoot it.

I have zero faith in this pistol right now. Ruger was a name a knew and trusted, but the Kahrs seem well rec'd out there for the most part so I took a chance. Does anyone have any other avenues they were successful with in dealing with Kahrs customer service?

2. Remove Ads

i was going to buy that very gun, LC9, or Nano. Got the Nano out of the 3. Glad i didn't get the Cw9 . Hope you get your issue fixed.

My wife's CW 9 is great. It does have issues with larger 9mm rounds. The slide release catches on them so I had to file it down a bit. That release has been known to be too long on occasion. But I would think it would lock the slide instead of drop the mag. But CS was great to deal with on another issue. They let a machining issue get by them with the barrel, which they replaced.

FWIW, I have pretty large hands. I ran 100 rds through my wife's and did not have an issue. From what I understand the Kahr mags are generally not even drop free. You have to pull them out. Have someone watch you shoot if possible and see if they notice anything odd. So maybe it's worth sending it back to let them look at it. Send them an email too. On one occasion I got an email response before getting a call back. Or keep calling till you get someone on the line.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

First off...welcome to the forum. Secondly......I can only guess what your problem is with your chosen pistol. More input and your own testing will reveal the problem and will also let you know if you need to find another pistol that will work well for you.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I own this same gun and I have seen the issues on the mags falling out, but havent had an issue with mine at all.
    As chiefjason said give CS a call and it may need to go back.

That sucks. I'd hound CS until you get resolution. Hopefully it's a simple issue that can be resolved. I've had this gun for about a month and have put several hundred rounds thru it....no mag drops for me.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

you made a good choice,the cw9 is a excellent pistol..if you can not resolve the problem on your own,Kahr will make it right,nothing to worry about.

My CW9 will be 5 years old next month, but I didn't carry it a lot until 2 years ago. Never, ever had a problem with a mag dropping out. Hopefully, you have more than one mag (the econo-model CW series only come with one) so you can confirm the problem is with the gun and not the magazine. (And puh-leeze don't tell us your extra mags are ProMags!)
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have not heard from kahr yet. The factory mag I ordered is not in yet. Will post an update as to how it acts... Thanks for the responses!

Had a Massage from Kahr on my home phone.

They could have called the cell number I left as well, but it's something. I also called the shop where I purchased. They were concerned too and wanted me to bring it to them. I will be working this weekend so it'll all have to wait until next week. Will keep you all posted.

I dropped my CW40 and damaged the front sight. Emailed them and expected to have to pay to have it replaced. They said send in the slide. Replaced the front sight for free. Good customer service.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

I have a cw9 which I carry daily. When I first took it to the range mine also dropped the magazine. I thought it was me--but it was the gun. I kept hearing that the kahr needed to be broken in the first 200 rounds so thats what I did and the magazine problem went away. I don't know why. I purchased a extended magazine and like the grip better. I also have a houge jR. on it--makes it easier on the hand. I also just purchased a LC9 and get to pick it up this Monday. I've heard that some of them have issues so I just hope I get a good one. I think the LC9 will be easier to pocket carry but I love the Kahr, I have about 700 rounds through it and I think you will also when things get worked out.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

If it doesn't do it when you shoot it left handed then you are hitting the mag release during recoil. Try holding your right thumb straight instead of resting it on top of your left hand thumb. I have a cw9 and am left handed,if I hold it right handed with my rt thumb resting on top of my left thumb guess where my right thumb is-on the mag release. Ck out this article called driving your kahr from the Kahr website www.kahr.com/reviews/cbh2012.pdf
    also ck out KahrTalk Home for alot of good info
    Simonsay likes this.

I had an issue with a Sig 2022 40,the mag release button seemed to be kinda large and stuck out pretty far,seemed like during shooting (Leftie) and even holster carry that the mag release would get bumped and mag would release way to easy.I took my dremel and started sanding the button down a little at a time until I reached a point where I couldn't accidently release it,but when pushed on it would drop the mag,no more issues after that
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Talked to someone at Kahr finally. They are mailing me a new mag release. I thought that I may be hitting the mag release as stated in a reply. I actually fired without my right thumb any where near the grip, with it sticking out, well, like a sore thumb. Still dropped. If left hand shooting, my entire trigger finger is covering the mag release button which should release the mag as well. The biggest difference I see is that my pistol reacts to the recoil in opposite directions. Meaning left handed it moves a little to the right during recoil and away from the mag release. In the right (strong) hand it tends to come more straight back. I should get the new release in a few days, put it in and report back to all.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links