Carry in National Park?

Carry in National Park?

This is a discussion on Carry in National Park? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was in Great Smoky MTNS National Park today and stopped at Cades Cove camp store for and ice cream cone. On the door was ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chiefjason

Thread: Carry in National Park?

Carry in National Park?

I was in Great Smoky MTNS National Park today and stopped at Cades Cove camp store for and ice cream cone. On the door was a "NO FIREARMS" decal! Surprise!!! WTFO?
    The soft serve ice cream was great.

Buildings that house park employees are off limits. They are federal buildings. In order to be off limits, they must be posted. The visitor center outside of Cherokee is posted. Mingus Mill is not. The houses in Cataloochee are not. Some of the trail signs still have no firearms on them. I just ignore those, since they are wrong.
    CountryGal likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

It wasn't that long ago that it was unlawful to carry a firearm of any type in a US National Park. That was changed two years ago. Now, the laws governing concealed carry depend on what state you are in. In other words, the laws governing concealed carry in any given state are those of the state in which the park is contained. If you go to Glacier NP (Montana), or Big Bend NP (Texas) you can carry where not posted. The park headquarters is always posted.

Yeah, I agree with MLittle - carrying in a National Park is now up to each individual state to make laws. Here in Virginia, we can conceal or open carry but you have to stay out of any and all buildings as they are federal buildings.

Links