Authority for POTUS et al to CCW unrestricted? - Page 2

Authority for POTUS et al to CCW unrestricted?

This is a discussion on Authority for POTUS et al to CCW unrestricted? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I thought I remembered hearing a former SS agent interviewed once who said that President Reagan occassionally carried a handgun, and even once took a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Authority for POTUS et al to CCW unrestricted?

I thought I remembered hearing a former SS agent interviewed once who said that President Reagan occassionally carried a handgun, and even once took a handgun while on an official state visit to the Soviet Union.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    So this is a "fun" question more than anything. I think we've skirted the topic before but here it is with a twist.

1. Is there any law, precedent, etc. that would lawfully authorize, or provide immunity for, the POTUS, FLOTUS, VPOTUS, SecState, SpeakerOfTheHouse, any state Governor, etc. etc. to CCW unrestricted nationwide or statewide?

2. Lacking such, what LEO is going to step forward and do the deed, probably ruining his career, if not being restrained or shot by a security detail?
    people at the top like the potus have armed security details, they have no need to carry a weapon of any kind, it's only the average guy who needs to think about how to protect himself and his loved ones

Quote Originally Posted by Nick62 View Post
    I thought I remembered hearing a former SS agent interviewed once who said that President Reagan occassionally carried a handgun, and even once took a handgun while on an official state visit to the Soviet Union.
    Elvis carried when he visited Nixon.

Great story: $100K in guns and Mercedes....lol....
    http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histor...Met-Nixon.html
    http://www.elvis-history-blog.com/elvis-nixon.html

ND or AD?

PD?

Anyway, I doubt the SS would allow anyone in the POTUS "bubble" to CCW, including the POTUS.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by Nick62 View Post
    I doubt it. I think that is more gun-owner right wing myth to make Reagan seem more powerful and likable than he is.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Col. Cooper always taught that principals needed to be armed to protect themselves from their own security details. As far as the argument that the Justice department is organized under the executive branch therefore POTUS automatically qualifies for CC, I don't necessarily buy that argument. Does he have any training? Since he lives in D.C., I'll agree he can have a gun in his home and place of business.

I would not be surprised to hear that Teddy Roosevelt carried while in office.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I can't speak on the technical topic of whether or not the POTUS - or any of his cabinet members - have the innate ability to CCW nationwide simply because of their position, but I look at it this way, who is going to tell them they can't? In my mind that's as strong as any legal by-law.

Maine State Trooper: "Umm Mrs. Clinton, do you have a permit for that weapon?"

Mrs. Clinton: "Do you have a retirement plan?"
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Sounds like some of you are arguing that might makes right. Don't get me wrong, I fully believe life would be made a living hell for anyone who tried to hold one of the "nobility" to the law. I guess I just expect to see more outrage at the idea that someone could be above the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    I would not be surprised to hear that Teddy Roosevelt carried while in office.
    I agree! But he was in office before the mess of federal gun laws was passed.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Here's a spin-off question, since I've read of it in a couple novels. Yes I know novel = fiction.

Who, if anyone, besides the SS, would be allowed in the presence of the POTUS armed? Soldiers in a war zone? I think that's been done. Local cops in a public appearance? I think the SS has certain exclusionary criteria for that. Certain federal operatives with super secret squirrel clearance?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Personally, I don't care if the POTUS OCs or CCs but somehow I doubt the current one does. After all, look at his background. Heck, they even took away his 'smart phone' when he took office.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links