Authority for POTUS et al to CCW unrestricted?

This is a discussion on Authority for POTUS et al to CCW unrestricted? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So this is a "fun" question more than anything. I think we've skirted the topic before but here it is with a twist. 1. Is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Authority for POTUS et al to CCW unrestricted?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Authority for POTUS et al to CCW unrestricted?

So this is a "fun" question more than anything. I think we've skirted the topic before but here it is with a twist.

1. Is there any law, precedent, etc. that would lawfully authorize, or provide immunity for, the POTUS, FLOTUS, VPOTUS, SecState, SpeakerOfTheHouse, any state Governor, etc. etc. to CCW unrestricted nationwide or statewide?

2. Lacking such, what LEO is going to step forward and do the deed, probably ruining his career, if not being restrained or shot by a security detail?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    these people are too valuable to be trusted with a gun--they 'd hurt themselves
    thus depriving the taxpayer of their vaulable services.

---------------
    a man who toook my CCW course a few years back went on to become CEO of one of the largest big money groups.
    'they' mad him give up his carrying as a condition of his job. and other hobbies deemed too risky.
    carracer and msgt/ret like this.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    I would imagine he can do pretty much anything he wanted to, and if he ended up "busted" he could just pardon himself.
    OldVet and nerdyvirgin like this.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    I haven't seen a politician yet who wasn't guilty of multiple negligent discharges. Fortunately it is from their mouth.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The federal ones could get themselves appointed as "Federal Law Enforcement Officers" and would then be entitled to carry anywhere. They may already be Federal Officers anyway.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    So this is a "fun" question more than anything. I think we've skirted the topic before but here it is with a twist.

1. Is there any law, precedent, etc. that would lawfully authorize, or provide immunity for, the POTUS, FLOTUS, VPOTUS, SecState, SpeakerOfTheHouse, any state Governor, etc. etc. to CCW unrestricted nationwide or statewide?

2. Lacking such, what LEO is going to step forward and do the deed, probably ruining his career, if not being restrained or shot by a security detail?
    One LEO in history had the intestinal fortitude to give President Grant a speeding ticket for riding his horse too fast, however, he didn't know who he had stopped, and offered to let him go after he realize who it was.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

VIP Member
    The Prez by definition is the chief law enforcement officer of The United States. Whatever immunities and agreements exist between the states and the feds for Federal law enforcement officers probably apply at least equally to a Prez.

The others are in a different category; however, all cabinet departments seem to have some LE component and their heads are by definition then, LEO???? Not sure.

Justices of the various courts are I think in the same boat as everyone else.

All of that said, rank has its unspoken advantages and woe to an LEO who arrests Mr. Thomas on a carrying charge for example after a DWB stop. Also, who is in charge of the Marshall's service? Is it the justices? Then perhaps they count as
    Federal LE officials.

In short, just guessing, but I think no one patrolling the streets or handling initial charges (DA, Magistrate, JP) would want to
    test where the boundaries are. It wouldn't go well.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    The Prez by definition is the chief law enforcement officer of The United States. Whatever immunities and agreements exist between the states and the feds for Federal law enforcement officers probably apply at least equally to a Prez.

The others are in a different category; however, all cabinet departments seem to have some LE component and their heads are by definition then, LEO???? Not sure.

All of that said, rank has its unspoken advantages and woe to an LEO who arrests Mr. Thomas on a carrying charge for example after a DWB stop. Also, who is in charge of the Marshall's service? Is it the justices? Then perhaps they count as
    Federal LE officials.

In short, just guessing, but I think no one patrolling the streets or handling initial charges (DA, Magistrate, JP) would want to
    This is why I tend to believe the "government will take away our guns" arguments are a little far fetched. Of course, that hasn't kept me from acquiring a few pieces off the record the last couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I haven't seen a politician yet who wasn't guilty of multiple negligent discharges. Fortunately it is from their mouth.
    Not always... just ask Hillary.
    Ducmonster and carracer like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

Federal LE officials.

The U.S. Marshall's Service is part of the Dept. of Justice

POTUS lives well within a massive security bubble, known as the US Secret Service. If I had that level of protection, I may think about not carrying. Can you imagine the political fall-out if a president were to carry and actually shoot someone? Talk about a poop-storm!

I'm in the executive protection business and from my experience most politicians are more afraid of negative press than they are of physical threats. A former principle of mine, a retired police chief elected as mayor, once told me he does not carry for political reasons, although he can as a retired LEO, carry state-wide. He wanted our unit as low profile as possible so the citizens would not think he was afraid to walk the streets.

Many presidents have been hunters / shooters, but none that I know of in modern times have carried for their own defense, although Elinore Roosevelt was known to carry a revolver for protection.

Texas governor Rick Perry on the other hand, is well known to carry. A couple of years ago he shot and killed a coyote that was attacking his dog while out for a run one morning. The governor managed to get ahead of his protection detail (oops) so had to take care of business himself.

Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Administrator
    That would be kid stuff for the prez....remember what follows him around wherever he goes..."The Football" - he can wage thermonuclear world war & start WW III from inside the bathroom at WENDYS if he wants to.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    POTUS lives well within a massive security bubble, known as the US Secret Service. ...
    Precisely. No one penetrates that bubble unless allowed to. And local LEO usually assist in motorcades anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    That would be kid stuff for the prez....remember what follows him around wherever he goes..."The Football" - he can wage thermonuclear world war & start WW III from inside the bathroom at WENDYS if he wants to.

I wonder if the officer who carries the "football" actually follows him into the head!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Not always... just ask Hillary.

That is hilarious.

not to start something but were Bill's considered an ND or an AD?
    carracer likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links