Defensive Carry banner

Extractor on the Crickett

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  DMan 
#1 ·
I don't know how much the Cricketts are designed to shoot, but our family has been using one that has about 1,000 rounds through it. My daughter used it for 3 years, and now my 6 year old son is now learning with it. (I took him to the range for the first time this past week).

Recently we have found that the extractor is not extracting the case and I have to use a small screw driver to pop it out. The extractor is clean, and I don't see visible wear on it. Does anybody have any experience with this or possibly how to fix it?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Is it the extractor or is there junk built up in the chamber of the rifle. My son's has issues when it gets extremely dirty. A good cleaning with an emphasis on using the bore brush in the chamber and back of the bolt and extractor always solves the problem.

When it does this, can you force the bolt closed hard and then open it back up to eject the round. Sometimes it has taken a couple of times but lots of times with the second or third time it will extract and eject the round.

#3 ·
I have cleaned the chamber/bore as well, even used a bright light and a magnifying glass to check it. I can't find any build up anywhere. It occurs about once out of three rounds. I have learned to keep a small jewelers set screw driver handy to put out the case. I have tried different manufactures, and I can say that the higher powered .22LR rounds cause more of an issue. I think the case expands more cause it to lodge itself more tightly. It takes a bit more work to pull out those cases versus the lighter rounds.

Regardless of this issue, with my son being 6, this is still a great learning gun, and it did an awesome job for my daughter until we picked up her CZ 542 Scout.

#4 ·
If it is the hotter rounds, it may well be that the cases are expanding and getting caught in a rough chamber. Do you have the ability to polish the chamber? A dremmel type tool and soft end with some polishing compound?

You're right the Crickets are great guns for beginners. My son just turned 9 and I am going to move him up to a Henry youth model this year.

#5 ·
It isn't JUST the hotter rounds, but the hotter rounds will get stuck almost every time. I have a dremmel, and good polishing compound, but not sure how to get it polished inside the .22 chamber. I think you may be on to something however.

This is my daughters Crickett, and according to her it is only "on loan" to her brother for him to learn. We took off her pink stock on the Crickett and put the black synthetic back on for my son. We really lucked out, after several people on here suggested moving her up to a CZ 542 Scout, we were able to find the extra cash for one. On top of that it has the Pink Stock as well which CZ discontinued.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.