Ruger 10/22 Modifications: What have you done? - Page 2

Ruger 10/22 Modifications: What have you done?

This is a discussion on Ruger 10/22 Modifications: What have you done? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ruger 10/22 Sporter Deluxe: Ruger Padded Leather Sling Ruger BX25 Magazines (10 round shown) Bushnell Trophy XLT 3x9 40mm Scope w/ Weaver rings both in ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Ruger 10/22 Modifications: What have you done?

Ruger 10/22 Sporter Deluxe:

Ruger Padded Leather Sling
    Ruger BX25 Magazines (10 round shown)
    Bushnell Trophy XLT 3x9 40mm Scope w/ Weaver rings both in black gloss
    Wolff Performance Spring Pack (reduced trigger & sear spring, increased hammer spring)
    Volquartsen Bolt Tune Up Kit (Exact Edge Extractor & Sure Strike Firing Pin)
    Volquartsen Recoil Buffer
    Volquartsen Automatic Bolt Release
    Volquartsen Target Rifle Trigger

I just modified mine to be a better range toy and squirrel killer (yet to try that though). The simple modifications are super cheap and the one that made the most difference for me was the scope....I flat out SUCKED with the factory iron sights, not used to that design at all. Can't really think of anything else to do to it minus polish the trigger components.

All 5 of my 10/22s have had trigger work - polishing where needed, plus drop-in trigger parts from Power Custom and Volquartsen. All have had the auto bolt release mod.

My first one got a 20" Green Mountain .920" dia barrel and a Hogue overmolded stock. Nice, but way too muzzle heavy. Next one, I built from a new "plastic" action (actually more precisely made than the metal ones) with an 18" fluted GM barrel on a Sporter stock. I also bedded the action after free-floating the barrel, added a Tac-Sol mag release, and a Bushnell Elite 3200 scope on a B-Square mount using Burris Signature rings. This one is a tack driver which easily gives half-inch 5-shot groups at 50 yards with pickup ammo; I'll better that with an improved trigger and a diligent ammo search. It's also well-balanced, which is nice for field or range use.

#3 is a "Liberty Training Rifle" with Tech Sights for use at Appleseed Events. #4 was going to be my "Tac 22" (steel game at Rio Salado) gun, but it turned out to be from the first year of production, so I just cleaned up the real walnut stock and gave it some modest trigger work... I'll let this one appreciate in value.

#5 is another Sporter, but I left the stock barrel on it for the Tac 22 matches where extreme accuracy is not required. Also, the tight Bentz chamber of the GM and similar aftermarket barrels is incompatible with super-high feed and ejection reliability. This one got the trigger work, the Tac-Sol mag release, and I installed the Rimfire Technologies torsional trigger return spring. This improved the trigger dramatically, and the trigger overtravel adjustment (from the back of the trigger guard) is much more precise and stable than the setscrew in the trigger approach. Finished this one off with a BSA scope I had lying around and some Steel Lips and Ruger BX-25 mags, and this gun is now more reliable (with good ammo) than the AR-styled rimfires I shoot against.
    gunthorp likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have 2 10/22's my wifes is a USST commemorative first edition,it has a bushnell 3-9x42 scope,Mine has a SS Bull match barrel added and an overmolded green/tan laminated stock with a cheap silver 3-9 power scope.It will shoot where you aim,I have no doubt that once zeroed at 50 yards you could plug squirrels or rabbits in the head all day long
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    I thought about that but I wanted to be able to switch back if I didn't like it.
    I have know idea why you wouldn't like it but if you did not the part coast like 10 bucks. Or buy the modified one and change them out.But now I don't hae to mess with the button underneath

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I added the auto bolt release and Volquartsons trigger kit. I did the trigger kit just because I could do it at the same time as the auto bolt release.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I have know idea why you wouldn't like it but if you did not the part coast like 10 bucks. Or buy the modified one and change them out.But now I don't hae to mess with the button underneath
    I paid $8 for an auto release so I could keep my current one and not have to wait for a new one if I didn't like it. I had no idea why I wouldn't like it either and for 8 bucks it was a cheap experiment.

This thread inspired me to start polishing my sear, hammer, and disconnector just to see if I could drop a pound or so in pull weight and maybe make it a little crisper.

Done with 1000 & 1500 Grit. Planning on 2000 and 2500 Tomorrow...probably buff it with the dremel too.

This thread has made me realize how little I know about gun smithing. A couple of years ago I put in the auto bolt release on both of our 10/22's, and yesterday dropped in a new Volquartsen trigger group, but when it comes to the sear, firing pin, etc, I am lacking some skills.

Time to hit the books again. I am working towards making mone as accurate as possible, and the other leaving it as in. Our two 10/22's started off identical stock sporting models. Once I finish my upgrades on one, I will do a side by side comparision of how they shoot. My gut is telling me the trigger will make the biggest difference, and then the barrel which I am working towards, thinking of GM flutted barrel.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

1000,1500,2000,2500 Grit sanded and then polished with a dremel with a felt wheel and polishing compound. The pictures don't do them justice. About 5 hours of work total I would say and definitely reduced the pull weight and any grit.

Funny - I had a scope on mine, and took it off. Kinda like it plain.

With what I've been spending on ammo lately, I was just thinking today that I should break out the .22 more often...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Mine is stock from a special run for Davidson's. 16+" bull bbl, target trigger (that I polished up), and bi-pod. I just added a sling and a 4X16-42 Nikon Monarch (cost more than the gun) mildot. I use it to range and solve pop cans out to 200yds. I bought 10K Federal 40gr solids, so I can practice without getting bruised by the 338.
    Attached Images
    wmhawth likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    Man oh man! You guys are making me feel pretty bad about the money I have spent. This is the only Ruger I own and I have to admit that I love it!

1. ER Shaw bull barrel
    2. Volquartzen automatic bolt release
    3. Kidd Industries trigger job
    4. Boyd stock
    5. Nikon 3x9x40 rimfire with BDC
    6. Harris bi-pod
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    This thread has made me realize how little I know about gun smithing. A couple of years ago I put in the auto bolt release on both of our 10/22's, and yesterday dropped in a new Volquartsen trigger group, but when it comes to the sear, firing pin, etc, I am lacking some skills.

Time to hit the books again. I am working towards making mone as accurate as possible, and the other leaving it as in. Our two 10/22's started off identical stock sporting models. Once I finish my upgrades on one, I will do a side by side comparision of how they shoot. My gut is telling me the trigger will make the biggest difference, and then the barrel which I am working towards, thinking of GM flutted barrel.
    Go visit over at RimfireCentral.com - there's a huge section on the 10/22 with a lot of stickies on action work, trigger work, and more.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I have left mine untouched. It was my first gun. My father bought it for me, and I can't bring myself to alter it in any way. However, I have considered picking a second one up to tinker with.
    +1 here to. Id like to add a few goodies to mine. But it works for me. I put a sling A bushnell banner scope with weaver rings and added 2 ruger 25 round box magazines for high volume of shooting. I think there the best 22 rimfire rifles out there.

Custom Bolts

How about adding custom laser engraved bolts to the 10/22 ??

Black_Tactical.jpgSniper_Bolt_1_2_Ruger_10_22.jpg

Look great right.??

what names would you like to see on the bolt.?

JWH Custom
    __________________________________________________ __________________________
    JWH Custom
    DMan likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links