Gun value question

This is a discussion on Gun value question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A buddy of mine has offered to sell me one of his G19. It is the upgraded with Exo coated slide, Heinie Night sites, and ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By danfive555
  • 1 Post By barstoolguru
  • 1 Post By sonnycrocket
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty
  • 1 Post By oneshot

Thread: Gun value question

Gun value question

A buddy of mine has offered to sell me one of his G19. It is the upgraded with Exo coated slide, Heinie Night sites, and upgraded trigger. He bought 3 of these, all with the same upgrades and this one has never been fired. By my estimation he has about $800 into it when you include tax and installation of upgrades. Since its never been fired is it still worth near new value?

Sorry if this is not the right area but didnt know where else to post this.

2. Remove Ads

What matters at this point is if the gun in question is worth 800 to you. If not then Id say dont get it. But I guess It kinda is worth that much. Your other option would be to just get the pistol and do the mods yourself but that would only be better if your buddies was used so in other words I guess yeah It is kinda worth that much cuz thats what It would cost you to get the exact same thing.
    DPMS A.R 15
    Glock 30
    Mossberg Maverick 88
    Kel-Tec PF9
    Taurus Ultra-Lite .38

I was going to offer him $700. Guess what i was getting at is I dont know if there is much depreciation with guns, especially if they are basically new. If a friend offered to sell you his new pickup your not gonna give him the sticker value, you know what I mean.

I realize its kind of a dumb question, but i dont want to get ripped and also don't want to low ball my friend either.

Administrator
    Moved to General Firearm Discussion. More members will spot your thread here.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

You need to check out gunbroker or Bud's, a quick look shows new G19s for $569.

Of course you've got the trigger upgrade. I don't think the Hienie sights are worth extra, just a switch from standard sights to blacked out sights.

If he throws in extra mags, those are worth about $20 each. Keep haggling with him.
    oneshot likes this.

I have a g19 and its ugly, worn gen 2 with nite sites. It stays concealed so it is a workhorse not a show horse. I am not too excited about heinie sights or Exo finish. I do like night sights and a plug in the grip bottom. If it is a gen 4 your value is probably about right. Gen 3 maybe a little less because they run $500 straight out of box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

VIP Member
    Personally, I prefer to modify on my own, rather than buying something already set up. That way, I am paying only for what I truly want.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

just because he spent the money why should you get sucked in? what you need to tell yourself do YOU need the upgrades.

offer 500.00 and go up; you can get a new one for 550.00+tax so that will give you a base to start at
    oneshot likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    most gun stores discount from MSRP. so if he was out the door at $800, mspr was probably closer to 875.

now he goes to sell it back , the store has to put it in the case as used, LNIB, never fired at a discount...say $725
    they are open to make a profit, say around 20% so they offer him (725 - 20% =) less $150, $575.

i consider a good deal for both of us to be in the middle, around $650.

----the value of something is what its worth to someone else -- to the person buying it.
    and most all of us think that our stuff is worth more than others do.
    often thats how feeling get hurt buying between friends.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TxRhino View Post
    A buddy of mine has offered to sell me one of his G19. It is the upgraded with Exo coated slide, Heinie Night sites, and upgraded trigger. He bought 3 of these, all with the same upgrades and this one has never been fired. By my estimation he has about $800 into it when you include tax and installation of upgrades. Since its never been fired is it still worth near new value?

Sorry if this is not the right area but didnt know where else to post this.
    Many folks upgrade thier glocks,IMO most upgrades are a waste of money.......
    A good 3.5Lb connector and night sights is 100 bucks and that baby is ready to rock
    dukalmighty likes this.

The problem with people putting money into a gun with upgrades,is that they hardly ever get their money back when they sell it.Other than maybe a trigger job,and night sights anything else can be a money loser.People will point out they can get a NEW gun for less than your USED gun.If you find the right buyer that will pay for the upgrades then you are lucky
    oneshot likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    just because he spent the money why should you get sucked in? what you need to tell yourself do YOU need the upgrades.

offer 500.00 and go up; you can get a new one for 550.00+tax so that will give you a base to start at

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^

Just because someone puts a 4 in. lift, 33 in. tires, a 1000 watt stereo, winch, airshocks, running boards etc,etc,etc on a truck, doesn't mean he should ever expect to get the full price of the vehicle, AND the cost of all the upgrades HE had done.
    Even if he has ZERO miles on it. It loses 15-30% of the price paid right out of the showroom.
    I would say, were I to offer to buy, it would be in the range of $550-600, maybe $650.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

After doing a little more research I've decided against getting my buddies gun. I didn't mind paying on the upper end for the gun and upgrades, but after researching the specifics of those upgrades I decided they were not worth the money to me. Think I'm gonna look at getting a new gun and upgrade it myself.

Thanks for all the input

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Upgrades don't really increase the value at all. If you plan on selling it, you really shouldn't upgrade it in my opinion. As you said, I would just buy new if I were you. The best Glock is a stock Glock :D
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I upgraded my G23 with trijicon night sights for 80.00 would love to have a ghost connector put in it but a little scared to do it myself any suggestions where to get it done... I would offer him 650 and see what he says....
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Links