What's your take on pistols lights?

This is a discussion on What's your take on pistols lights? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently picked up a weapon mounted light for my Glock 19. I've never owned or used one before so I picked up a cheapie ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: What's your take on pistols lights?

What's your take on pistols lights?

I recently picked up a weapon mounted light for my Glock 19. I've never owned or used one before so I picked up a cheapie to see if I like it. If I do I will pick up a higher quality one like a streamlight. If I don't then I'm only out 30 bucks. My current issue is this. When compared to the classic "gun in one hand, light in the other" technique It seems like it violates one of the principals of gun safety. That is not pointing the gun at anything your not willing to destroy. If using the "gun in one hand, light in the other" technique you can keep the pistol at low ready with one hand while scanning with the flash light without actually having to point the gun at anything. However, with a pistol mounted light wherever the light goes the muzzle also goes. So what about a situation where your scanning a room and that noise you heard turns out to be a kid that god up in the middle of the night to get a drink and knocked over a vase or something? By shinning your light on them you also pointed the muzzle at them as well. What's your take on it?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    This is exactly my case against using JUST a handgun mounted light. I think that if one is going to be used it needs to be supplemented with an unattached light that can also be used but dropped if needed. My $.02.
    Bark'n likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I have the same problem, light follows the muzzle. Sometimes you need to light up something that you do not intend to destroy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I My current issue is this. When compared to the classic "gun in one hand, light in the other" technique It seems like it violates one of the principals of gun safety. That is not pointing the gun at anything your not willing to destroy. If using the "gun in one hand, light in the other" technique you can keep the pistol at low ready with one hand while scanning with the flash light without actually having to point the gun at anything. What's your take on it?
    My take is............ if YOU feel a threat is viable enough to grab your gun with a mounted light and 'investigate'...... then pointing your gun at something your NOT intending to destroy is, at best, a non-issue. Something else more important is happening. Point that gun AND light at everything that requires illuminiating and keep your booger-hook OFF the bang-switch until you need to shoot or can turn on the lights.

Muzzle displine is just another version of self-displine. Take care of business and when the threat's over, then you can appoligze for 'muzzling' whoever.
    tacman605 and Cdknox like this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I recently picked up a weapon mounted light for my Glock 19. I've never owned or used one before so I picked up a cheapie to see if I like it. If I do I will pick up a higher quality one like a streamlight. If I don't then I'm only out 30 bucks. My current issue is this. When compared to the classic "gun in one hand, light in the other" technique It seems like it violates one of the principals of gun safety. That is not pointing the gun at anything your not willing to destroy. If using the "gun in one hand, light in the other" technique you can keep the pistol at low ready with one hand while scanning with the flash light without actually having to point the gun at anything. However, with a pistol mounted light wherever the light goes the muzzle also goes. So what about a situation where your scanning a room and that noise you heard turns out to be a kid that god up in the middle of the night to get a drink and knocked over a vase or something? By shinning your light on them you also pointed the muzzle at them as well. What's your take on it?
    You have given the reasons why I use a hand held rather than a weapons mounted. That being said, there are good reasons for using both.
    tacmansgirl likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Gun for shooting
    Flashlight for lighting

Keep them separate.

And last but not least, lasers are for sharks.

That's my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    My take is............ if YOU feel a threat is viable enough to grab your gun with a mounted light and 'investigate'...... then pointing your gun at something your NOT intending to destroy is, at best, a non-issue. Something else more important is happening. Point that gun AND light at everything that requires illuminiating and keep your booger-hook OFF the bang-switch until you need to shoot or can turn on the lights.

Muzzle displine is just another version of self-displine. Take care of business and when the threat's over, then you can appoligze for 'muzzling' whoever.
    ^^This.

Finger shouldn't be on the trigger unless your target is acquired. Gun doesn't go bang by itself.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Different tools for different tasks. Take some low-light classes to figure out where to use what, how it applies (or not) to your life, and how you like to use it.

VIP Member
    Rollo. Keep in mind that when you use a WML you do not have to point the light directly at anything, there is more than enough diffused light to do a quick search of a room. I run them on all my guns in some version or another.

This is a training issue nothing more. Yes the 4 safety rules come into play they are also designed, generally speaking, that you have to combine two of them to cause problems. As has been stated keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire. I was trained and continue to train others that the muzzle goes where the light goes I simply keep my finger off the trigger.

I still have and use a hand held light but to me it requires much more training than a WML to use it well and many do not take enough training to operate their weapon well much less a light and a weapon. It is all in what you feel comfortable with and are willing to train with. To each his own.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Remember the light works both ways...You can see the perp and it makes it easier for the perp to see you!
    phreddy likes this.

I'm with you Rollo. I'd rather have a light in one hand and weapon in the other.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Tacman is right, this is a training issue more than an equipment issue. I prefer both lighting methods! Different tools for different jobs. When "investigating" (seeing what a noise was, etc) handheld is used while weapon and WML are holstered. When threat is identified weapon and WML are presented, hand held is traded for some sort of comm device or terrain manipulation, like door handles, etc. You can't have too much light!

Hate em...YMMV I always have a hand held available.

I prefer to keep them separate. If for no other reason than giving my "bump in the night" a light to aim at while I am investigating. I have blue low power night lights in the hall and living room that give me plenty of light to see without the need for a flashlight.

I'd like a small LED light like the LaserMax Guide Rod, something to supplement my handheld light. It doesn't need to be 500 lumens, just 40 or 50.
    --Jason--

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links