Buying online?

Buying online?

This is a discussion on Buying online? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was just wondering what your experience has been with buying online? I'm looking at an m&p shield and can get it for about 399 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Buying online?

Buying online?

I was just wondering what your experience has been with buying online? I'm looking at an m&p shield and can get it for about 399 online or 450 at the lgs. I love supporting local, all of my gun purchases have been local but I'd occasionally like to save a few dollars. I assume if I purchased online the gun would have to be sent to my lgs. To me that just seems like a slap in the face to them?

Thought or opinions?

I like the idea of buying online but have never done it because once you add the fee the lgs adds to do the background check and to transfer the gun it usually adds up to around the same price.
    Old School likes this.

Ah good call, I didnt think about that. I felt pretty guilty for even thinking about online.

Walk into the gun store "oh hi, I'm here to pick up a gun I didnt buy from you."

*scowl from store owner*

I am sure plenty of people have done it before. Another issue you may run into is if you have a problem with the gun the lgs will be less likely to help you resolve the issue. Alot of the time they can send the gun back to the factory for free when it may cost you anywhere from 25$ to 40$.
    Old School likes this.

I'll buy online but it has to be a REALLY good deal. Otherwise the cost is about the same. 25 transfer and usually 15-20 shipping negates the 7-10 percent lower online price.
    Old School and oneshot like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I've bought 6 pistols online in the last 2 years, no problem with any of the purchases. I saved close to $200 per gun, plus my FFL doesn't charge a fee for the transfer. Compare Apples to Apples, if it pens out to be a good deal (you're the only one who can decide if it's a good deal for you) then I don't hesitate to buy from reputable online dealers. And if I buy it online I DO NOT expect a LGS to do anything for me if something goes wrong with it.

Sometimes you win, sometimes NOT...know where you're shopping...usually well-known or big stores.OMO

I have found that finding a gun shop one uses for a lengthy time where a relationship is established...you can get VERY good deals without dealing on-line.
    I have yet to pay for the listed price on anything...I have been a very good customer.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; April 21st, 2012 at 06:35 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by NCW Ray View Post
    I've bought 6 pistols online in the last 2 years, no problem with any of the purchases. I saved close to $200 per gun, plus my FFL doesn't charge a fee for the transfer. Compare Apples to Apples, if it pens out to be a good deal (you're the only one who can decide if it's a good deal for you) then I don't hesitate to buy from reputable online dealers. And if I buy it online I DO NOT expect a LGS to do anything for me if something goes wrong with it.
    Wish my LGS didn't charge for transfers... I'd probably have a lot more guns lol.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I've purchased two firearms online. In both cases, they were smoking hot deals and one of those was a no-lock S&W 642, which my lgs said he couldn't get. You do need to make sure you do the math, not only in raw cost (shipping, transfer) but also the additional wait and the risks involved in buying something sight unseen.
    Current armament:
    Ruger 10/22
    Remington 870 Express 20ga.
    S&W M&P40c
    S&W 642

My LGS will take your $25 for doing some paperwork with no problems, all day long, with a smile on his face per him. But his prices are so close once you figure in shipping and FFL fees I just buy his. Matter of fact, sometimes the online stuff ends up being more than his in the end.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    As has been mentioned previously, the deal has to be substantial in savings online.
    There is a link on GB which will give you all FFL dealers in your area, and they all will charge varying fees.
    I found one in my area to do a transfer for $15.
    So no tax, shipping was inexpensive so it was a go.
    Sometimes when the cost to ship is $25-30, and any FFl's in your area want $20-3, might as well support the local guy, as long as they are good people, and the price you may pay is only $15-40 or $50 more,
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by NCW Ray View Post
    You are very fortunate. Every LGS/FFL in my area charges from $25 to $50 fee to handle a firearm transfer. However, what I've found is that my local gun store will negotiate price, if I first determine the best online price and ask the local dealer to match that price.

Example: Two weeks ago when Ruger announced their new 10/22 Take Down rifle, I decided I wanted one, so I checked online. Ruger's MSRP is $389, but I found an online seller listing a price of $299.99 (even though they didn't have it in stock). I called a few local gun dealers and found one who had the rifle in stock. Although they wouldn't quote a price over the phone, I decided to go check it out. Their sticker price was $359.99, so I told the salesman that I saw the gun online for $299 and asked if he could match that. He calculated for a minute and said the best they could sell it for was $309, so I bought the rifle and took it home 20 minutes later.

To the OP, if you haven't already asked your LGS to try to match an online price, ask, you might be surprised, save a few bucks and at the same time support your local dealer.

I always give my LGS the first shot. I give him a call for a quote and if he is close to what I can find online, I order the gun from him. Lately, some models are becoming harder to obtain. If he can't get or not sure when it will become available, I will order online and have him do the FFL. He has no problem collecting the FFL fee from me for an online sale! Like has been stated before, don't forget the shipping and FFL fees that go along with buying online. The $399 vs $450 example you cite would be a no brainer for me. I would buy that from my LGS every time. I found a 1911 online for $700 that he would charge $950 for. Bought that online. YMMV.

My FFL guy charges very little. If I order a gun through him, he marks up 10% and charges no transfer fee. It is also on a federal installation and no sales taxes are collected.

I have no problem buying guns in local stores, if it is in stock and it is not overpriced.

Buying online, it has to be something tough to get at a reasonable price. My FFL guy has no problem either way and I prefer to give him his 10% if I can.

I also like to see the gun before choosing, but new in box should be fine. I just do not allow transfer before I inspect. That is expected so there are no problems there.

I have bought from reputable online dealers and through GunBroker. Never a problem. Just thoroughly check whom you are dealing with. Online you can probably get a little cheaper and avoid state tax, but you my have to pay shipping and will have to pay an FFL transfer fee. So consider all your costs.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links